East End Roll Call

Just out of Idle curiosity, how many east-enders do we have on this board now? For the longest it seemed like

Danax was the lone wolf over in Pecan Park. I am moving into Glenbrook where Stolitx is. I know Greaser, Silverartfox & Sharpe St. Guy all call Broadmoor home. Now Niche has bought in Eastwood, and Roberto1972 bought in Idylwood.

I'm not from the east side originally, having called everywhere from Ponderosa Forest to 6th Ward & Afton Oaks home at one point or another in my adult life. I'm curious who else is treking to the east end and how long have you been there.

Hope this works since I just learned of this site.

Add me to the list of East Enders! I have been in this area (Broadmoor) and now Sunnyland Street area for over 35 years. I can give you tons of info on how really nice it used to be (no kidding) and how we all need to try to get it back the way it was. I figure if they can place a man on the moon we can try to give this our best efforts.

I used to attend some of the neighborhood meetings but have been side tracked but will try to get back into the swing of things. I am one that rather get things done instead of just taking about them. There are some groups that gripe, whine, etc but it seems that the more afluent areas get the job done. Mostly because council members live there. Anyway great to be here!

Add me to the list of East Enders! I have been in this area (Broadmoor) and now Sunnyland Street area for over 35 years. I can give you tons of info on how really nice it used to be (no kidding) and how we all need to try to get it back the way it was. I figure if they can place a man on the moon we can try to give this our best efforts.

I used to attend some of the neighborhood meetings but have been side tracked but will try to get back into the swing of things. I am one that rather get things done instead of just taking about them. There are some groups that gripe, whine, etc but it seems that the more afluent areas get the job done. Mostly because council members live there. Anyway great to be here!

Welcome aboard, rnsdr. Having active civic clubs, who actually get things done, can help a lot over here. The biggest problem in this area is the ugly, run-down, cluttered/overcrowed look to the properties. Civic clubs depend on the City to help them to enforce City ordinances which can be frustrating but, without an active civic club driving and walking the streets and making the reports, it just continues to get worse...trust me on that one, although it sounds like you already know well what I'm talking about. The other problem is that the current residents are very passive and "don't want any problems" and "don't want to be told what to do" so they do little to help.

So, the way to really turn this area around is a combination of 1) get a fresh influx of people who care more and 2) have an active civic club in every nabe to keep residents on their toes about letting things get too ratty looking. No one likes being surrogate police but the alternative is allowing the place to look raunchy.

Another big issue is the number of rent homes such as in Broadmoor. There are a few family's who own multiple homes in the neighborhood and have done quite well however this holds back progress and fixing things up. My wife and I went door to door two years ago to get a petition signed to get our sidewalks fixed however we found most either didn't speak English or were renters.

If anyhone from the CITY reads these boards I believe that Broadmoor has the worst sidewalks in the city other then those neighborhoods that just don't have them. But at least in side the 610 loop I have seen none that are worse then ours except where Metro has fixed them around the stops on Broadmoor St.

Scharpe St Guy

Another big issue is the number of rent homes such as in Broadmoor. There are a few family's who own multiple homes in the neighborhood and have done quite well however this holds back progress and fixing things up. My wife and I went door to door two years ago to get a petition signed to get our sidewalks fixed however we found most either didn't speak English or were renters.

If anyhone from the CITY reads these boards I believe that Broadmoor has the worst sidewalks in the city other then those neighborhoods that just don't have them. But at least in side the 610 loop I have seen none that are worse then ours except where Metro has fixed them around the stops on Broadmoor St.

Scharpe St Guy

Sharpie, you might want to contact your Super Neighborhood council, which I would think would be Eastwood. They'd have the loudest voice to get stuff like sidewalks done.

Sharpie, you might want to contact your Super Neighborhood council, which I would think would be Eastwood. They'd have the loudest voice to get stuff like sidewalks done.

Speaking of sidewalks, had it not been for our years of asking for new sidewalks on 1400 block of Munger it never would have been done. And if you think having Mr Trevino on the next block (HPD) would do any good to assist; think again. We had to go in person to City Hall and voice our concerns to the council. Basically create a rucuss as people like Quannel X do to get it done. Being polite and using fancy words don't always work at least not for low-income areas like this. So we really have several issues, the renters will not step up to the plate because they don't care. Owner's like us either are too busy or assume someone else will "handle the problems". Wrong. Also take in perspective the culture of the area, Hispanic people have for the most part historically not been very proactive or want to "cause trouble". Then our leaders we vote for (council-people) in Eastend once they make a name for themselves usually split town and head to Austin, Tx for greener pastures!

There in lies the problems. I dream of the day we will see an Ice-skating Rink or Olympic sized pool, Bowling alley built around here. Kids in the area would have something to aspire for. Give it some real thought, there is hardly anything in this hood to keep kids out of trouble and focusing on College. Ok, guess you see what I mean.

Get Broadmoor on the district I CIP. usually there's a 7 yr cycle so the sooner you get on the better.

• 1 month later...
Just out of Idle curiosity, how many east-enders do we have on this board now? For the longest it seemed like

Danax was the lone wolf over in Pecan Park. I am moving into Glenbrook where Stolitx is. I know Greaser, Silverartfox & Sharpe St. Guy all call Broadmoor home. Now Niche has bought in Eastwood, and Roberto1972 bought in Idylwood.

I'm not from the east side originally, having called everywhere from Ponderosa Forest to 6th Ward & Afton Oaks home at one point or another in my adult life. I'm curious who else is treking to the east end and how long have you been there.

Wow, never knew so many people on here lived nearby! My parents lived on Japonica St. when I was born but, shortly thereafter, moved to Stillwell St. where I was raised and still live at. If I had the funds I would love to buy my fathers' parents old home at 4522 McKinney over in Eastwood. When my parents separated back in the early-'80s my mother lived with a lady that owned a house on the corner of McKinney & Lockwood. Unfortunately, the house caught fire shortly after my mother moved back in with my dad. Does anyone remember the house on that corner? I heard it's been remodeled and someone lives in it now but haven't been over there to see it.

Wow, never knew so many people on here lived nearby! My parents lived on Japonica St. when I was born but, shortly thereafter, moved to Stillwell St. where I was raised and still live at. If I had the funds I would love to buy my fathers' parents old home at 4522 McKinney over in Eastwood. When my parents separated back in the early-'80s my mother lived with a lady that owned a house on the corner of McKinney & Lockwood. Unfortunately, the house caught fire shortly after my mother moved back in with my dad. Does anyone remember the house on that corner? I heard it's been remodeled and someone lives in it now but haven't been over there to see it.

I was raised in Park Place on River Drive. Mom is still there - although that's an unsafe place to live now.

why do you consider it unsafe? i think it is a wonderful "hidden" neighborhood. large yards, etc.

Well. Mom's is the first house next to the freeway. There are homeless people living under the bridge. Her house was remdiated for mold a while back, and someone broke into the house and storage area six (6) times. When my Dad was living (he passed away in 2000), someone knocked on their door at 3:00 a.m. Dad didn't open the door, and the person on the other side was getting agitated with him, and said "Open the GD (but they said it) door old man!". That's when Dad cocked his rifle. They heard it and got the heck out of Park Place.

Anyway, Mom is 83, lives alone, and has fallen more times that I can count.

Well. Mom's is the first house next to the freeway. There are homeless people living under the bridge. Her house was remdiated for mold a while back, and someone broke into the house and storage area six (6) times. When my Dad was living (he passed away in 2000), someone knocked on their door at 3:00 a.m. Dad didn't open the door, and the person on the other side was getting agitated with him, and said "Open the GD (but they said it) door old man!". That's when Dad cocked his rifle. They heard it and got the heck out of Park Place.

Anyway, Mom is 83, lives alone, and has fallen more times that I can count.

that's very unfortunate. your mom's area isn't the only one with problems but her age does make it more of a cause for concern.

i guess most of the bridges in houston have people living under them. i know the s waywide where it goes under the tracks has some, monroe near gulf freeway and at gus wortham i've seen people living in the woods by lawndale when i used to ride my bike on the trail there. WRT the homeless, there are good and bad just like us.

hey, i live on stillwell too. just moved here in november. my wife and i love the location. she is an agent for carlos garcia realty and i have car dealership off telephone and i-45.

hey, i live on stillwell too. just moved here in november. my wife and i love the location. she is an agent for carlos garcia realty and i have car dealership off telephone and i-45.

So as fellow HAIF'ers and neighbors can we get the family deal at your dealership?

Scharpe St Guy

I won't post the address but my family and I live in one of the houses that never seems to have a mown lawn. I work odd hours and my neighbors are great...which is why I don't mow the grass when I get off work at 5am. haha

Throughout the years I have been in and out of some of the homes on Stratton, Stillwell, Buford Streets and I love the interiors of most of these houses! One of my best friends growing up lived with his mother on Stillwell (6418 or 6416, if I can remember off the top of my head. It's painted brown and tan and is 2nd from the corner) and his grandmother had the house on the corner of Stratton and Gould. I especially liked the tiny little staircase that went up to the attic room. Whoever renovated it last year did an awesome job on it! If anyone is interested, my other childhood buddy owns the house at 6314 Stratton (2bedroom/1bath, needs a LOT of work) and he was talking about selling it since he lives in Atascosita now.

Small piece of rock n' roll trivia for you: Mark James wrote a song called "Suspicious Minds" and it became a hit for Elvis in the late '60's. He was a highschool buddy of my fathers' and his mother-in-law lived in that house on the opposite corner of Gould and Stratton that is currently for sale or rent.

• 1 month later...

I lived in the eastend from 1957 to 1975. The eastend will always feel like home to me. All members of my family that are deceased are at Forest Park Lawndale so I make quite a few visits to my old stomping grounds to visit them and I always drive around the neighborhood and eat somewhere I used to eat as a kid and I drive by Burnet Elementary, Jackson jr High and Austin high. When I feel that my historic batteries have been recharged I head back to League City.

I'm assuming that the place that I lived in over 40 years ago was in the East End. It was just down Old Galveston Road from where it intersects with Park Place Boulevard. Is that the East End?

Archived