Motel 6

Ashikaga

Over here in Orange, last week I saw the sign of Motel 6 on Interstate 10. The rate for one person for one night is $49.99! If Motel 6 is still the lowest priced national chain, then I'd probably faint to find out what Ramada and Holiday Inn's rates are.

In 1970 when I was 12 we drove on a vacation to California. I remember the Motel 6 signs said "$6.95 Single." I read that's how they got their name, because they started out charging $6 a night. They now need to change their name to Motel 50.

Do any of you on this forum happen to know off the top of your head if the Motel 6 rooms in Houston are the same?

Over here in Orange, last week I saw the sign of Motel 6 on Interstate 10. The rate for one person for one night is $49.99! If Motel 6 is still the lowest priced national chain, then I'd probably faint to find out what Ramada and Holiday Inn's rates are.

In 1970 when I was 12 we drove on a vacation to California. I remember the Motel 6 signs said "$6.95 Single." I read that's how they got their name, because they started out charging $6 a night. They now need to change their name to Motel 50.

Do any of you on this forum happen to know off the top of your head if the Motel 6 rooms in Houston are the same?

i remember seeing one somewhat recently off of I-45 near woodridge (?) or maybe farther south that advertised $39.99.

$100 is what I expect to pay for a medium to crappy hotel / motel room these days. Anything nice costs $150+ Anything less and I am afraid for my safetly or need to pull out the black lamp to check the bedspread.

BTW, 1970 was nearly 40 years ago. I can see a room being $6.95 back then. EVERYTHING was cheaper 36 years ago.

$100 is what I expect to pay for a medium to crappy hotel / motel room these days. Anything nice costs $150+ Anything less and I am afraid for my safetly or need to pull out the black lamp to check the bedspread.

BTW, 1970 was nearly 40 years ago. I can see a room being $6.95 back then. EVERYTHING was cheaper 36 years ago.

Yes, everything was cheaper. I also remember on that same vacation back in 1970 when we got to New Mexico, Arizona, & California that the average price of gasoline was about 48 cents a gallon. At the time, my dad thought that was high! The prices in the Houston area were lower.

In 1971 we took another vacation. As we approached San Antonio, there was a billboard saying that a Ramada Inn was coming up (we usually stayed at Motel 6). I talked my dad into staying there. I went into the lobby with him to check in. When we got back into the car, he handed my mother the receipt. She hit the ceiling when she saw that my dad had paid an astronomical $18 (eighteen) dollars for that room!

I stayed in a Red Roof Inn the other day in Greensville, SC...$50 for the night...a total crap hole in a really bad part of town. However, I did save some money...

Back in 1990, I was employed by a company in Memphis, Tennessee. They paid for a week for me a room at a Red Roof Inn. I didn't think that the room was bad at all. But according to your experience, maybe I'm wrong in assuming that national motel/hotel chains had uniform housekeeping standards.

Well, it needed a LOT of renovation and the sheets were very "sticky". I dont know if thats the right word to describe it, but it felt as though I was going to bed after sweating all day and not taking a shower.

Yes, it's simply that the price of everything will always go up, not down. If Motel 6 is now charging $40-$50 and they still say that they're the lowest priced national chain, then the only motels left that would charge less would be privately-owned ones, and most (but not all) of them are roach-infested rat traps. Those are the only kind that offer weekly rates. But those that are part of Motel 6 called Studio 6 offer them, but they charge somewhere between $250 and $300 a week. That's more than a nice apartment. I have their directory. It shows a few in Houston.

Edited by Ashikaga

I just looked at Ramada's website. The Ramada Limited in Fountain Valley, California costs $84 for one person, one night. Ramada Limited is supposed to be Ramada's budget inn with no frills. Well, I'm too scared to find out what a regular Ramada or a Ramada Hotel would cost.

• 8 months later...

Whenever I go to Louisiana I pass through Orange. I was surprised to find out that the Super 8 Motel in that city costs more ($84 a night) than the Ramada Inn ($62 a night) just next door to it. Motel 6 is next door on the other side, and when I looked at its sign a couple of weeks ago, it said $39.99 for a single. There are a lot of motels on that stretch of IH-10. Maybe the competition made Motel 6 reduce their rates by $10.

Can anyone name the instrument that play's in the theme song?

If memory serves well a violin?

I miss the commercial and what became of Tom Bodett? Is he "leaving the light on" in that big Motel 6 in the sky?

We'll Leave the Light on! :lol:

Can anyone name the instrument that play's in the theme song?

If memory serves well a violin?

I miss the commercial and what became of Tom Bodett? Is he "leaving the light on" in that big Motel 6 in the sky?

We'll Leave the Light on! :lol:

Years ago I delivered pizza for Domino's in Orange. All of the motels/hotels in Orange are all next to each other there on IH-10. We delivered to all of them. But everyone would try to hand off to another driver orders from Motel 6 because nobody there would ever give a tip. Everyone staying at any of the other motels/hotels would gladly give a tip.

Years ago I delivered pizza for Domino's in Orange. All of the motels/hotels in Orange are all next to each other there on IH-10. We delivered to all of them. But everyone would try to hand off to another driver orders from Motel 6 because nobody there would ever give a tip. Everyone staying at any of the other motels/hotels would gladly give a tip.

Look at the bright side at least you didnt have to deliver pizza to Bates Motel! Norman was always such a bad boy!

Edited by Vertigo58

Yes, everything was cheaper. I also remember on that same vacation back in 1970 when we got to New Mexico, Arizona, & California that the average price of gasoline was about 48 cents a gallon. At the time, my dad thought that was high! The prices in the Houston area were lower.

In 1971 we took another vacation. As we approached San Antonio, there was a billboard saying that a Ramada Inn was coming up (we usually stayed at Motel 6). I talked my dad into staying there. I went into the lobby with him to check in. When we got back into the car, he handed my mother the receipt. She hit the ceiling when she saw that my dad had paid an astronomical $18 (eighteen) dollars for that room!

It is so interesting to see how the value of money changes over the years.

I remember when a ticket to go to the AMC movie theatre back in the early 90's was $3.00

Now it is more like $9.00.

I'd always been under the impression the hotels listed at this link were pretty much bottom of the barrel price-wise. If I'm not mistaken, they (or another budget lodging firm) had a chain of "Green Carpet Inns" but I guess someone finally finally got to the marketing department and mentioned just why such a name wouldn't be a super idea.

Knights Inns are also known for being very budget friendly in a number of places.

Living in Rosenberg during my youth I remember the Best Western being the only chain motel in town. I recall seeing that a Holiday Inn was open at the same time, but very briefly and it folded into a local motel, competing with several budget motels at the FM 2218/ US 59 Junction. Over the past 7 or 8 years however, chains seem to be popping up all over. First a Comfort Inn, then a Holiday Inn Express. A La Quinta is under construction and a Hampton Inn is about to go in on the Brazos Town Center site. Price-wise, you're not getting a bargain especially with the HI Express.

I'd always been under the impression the hotels listed at this link were pretty much bottom of the barrel price-wise. If I'm not mistaken, they (or another budget lodging firm) had a chain of "Green Carpet Inns" but I guess someone finally finally got to the marketing department and mentioned just why such a name wouldn't be a super idea.

Knights Inns are also known for being very budget friendly in a number of places.

Living in Rosenberg during my youth I remember the Best Western being the only chain motel in town. I recall seeing that a Holiday Inn was open at the same time, but very briefly and it folded into a local motel, competing with several budget motels at the FM 2218/ US 59 Junction. Over the past 7 or 8 years however, chains seem to be popping up all over. First a Comfort Inn, then a Holiday Inn Express. A La Quinta is under construction and a Hampton Inn is about to go in on the Brazos Town Center site. Price-wise, you're not getting a bargain especially with the HI Express.

Yes, with prices rising on everything, it's no wonder that people say that they have a hard time living on $6, $7, and $8 an hour. It appears that Motel 6 is still the lowest priced chain motel. There might be some privately owned ones that cost less. All I know is that if I want to go out of town for even just a few days, I'd better make certain that I have a lot of traveler's checks. As I said, I distinctly remember back in 1970 the signs at Motel 6 saying "$6.95 Single." Any other place you'd better be prepared to go ahead and pay around $100.