Funny And Not So Funny From A Black Person That Was In Houston For The Last 10 Months

I'm a banker and helped a black individual, today, that was in Houston for the last 10 months and returned home last week. I asked them how it was, and I was generously offered these comments....

"It was too big. I drove from South Houston to North Houston to see my relatives and it was like driving from Uptown to Laplace (the equivalent of 40 miles). They did not like us. They thought we were all criminals and made us uncomfortable. I couldn't wait to get back, and they wanted us all to come back. They looked down on us and when we tried to get jobs, and found out we were from New Orleans, we never heard from them again. I was so homesick. They do not know how to eat and have no clue how to boil crawfish. When they boil crawfish, they boil them in bland water and sprinkle the spices AFTER they are boiled. When we first got there they treated us so nice, but, then they looked down on us like we were beneath them. You don't know how glad I am to be back home. I'm living in a FEMA trailer and my house is gone, but, at least I'm back. The city is full of Mexicans and they have entire grocery stores with Mexican names that cater to only Mexican style cooking. They really hate us in New Orleans and made us feel it after 6 months. I'm so glad to be back."

Some of it is funny, but, some if it is so to the "T" from everything I've heard. Likely, 1 out of 10 blacks in Houston were poor and criminal, but, the other 9 were homeowners from New Orleans East who lost their homes in the flood and had an average income of over 80K a year ( I see their bank statements). I'm not knocking Houston. The misconceptions are understandable, but, they were and are just that...misconceptions. What I was told today, I quoted as closely as I can remember, and it was only 8 hours ago. Some of it is funny, but, most of it is true, and sad.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a banker and helped a black individual, today, that was in Houston for the last 10 months and returned home last week. I asked them how it was, and I was generously offered these comments....

"It was too big. I drove from South Houston to North Houston to see my relatives and it was like driving from Uptown to Laplace (the equivalent of 40 miles). They did not like us. They thought we were all criminals and made us uncomfortable. I couldn't wait to get back, and they wanted us all to come back. They looked down on us and when we tried to get jobs, and found out we were from New Orleans, we never heard from them again. I was so homesick. They do not know how to eat and have no clue how to boil crawfish. When they boil crawfish, they boil them in bland water and sprinkle the spices AFTER they are boiled. When we first got there they treated us so nice, but, then they looked down on us like we were beneath them. You don't know how glad I am to be back home. I'm living in a FEMA trailer and my house is gone, but, at least I'm back. The city is full of Mexicans and they have entire grocery stores with Mexican names that cater to only Mexican style cooking. They really hate us in New Orleans and made us feel it after 6 months. I'm so glad to be back."

Some of it is funny, but, some if it is so to the "T" from everything I've heard. Likely, 1 out of 10 blacks in Houston were poor and criminal, but, the other 9 were homeowners from New Orleans East who lost their homes in the flood and had an average income of over 80K a year ( I see their bank statements). I'm not knocking Houston. The misconceptions are understandable, but, they were and are just that...misconceptions. What I was told today, I quoted as closely as I can remember, and it was only 8 hours ago. Some of it is funny, but, most of it is true, and sad.

I am so sick of hearing people from New Orleans delicate flower about how Houston is too big. or too______or not enough_________. (fill in the blank). I'm sick of the comparisons of Houston vs. New Orleans. Don't insult the intelligence of the members of this board by saying your not knocking Houston with this post, we know it when we see it. After all, what was the point of the post? I don't find any of it amusing. It is just more bashing of Houston by the New Orleans crowd. Boring & predictable.

I am so sick of hearing people from New Orleans delicate flower about how Houston is too big. or too______or not enough_________. (fill in the blank). I'm sick of the comparisons of Houston vs. New Orleans. Don't insult the intelligence of the members of this board by saying your not knocking Houston with this post, we know it when we see it. After all, what was the point of the post? I don't find any of it amusing. It is just more bashing of Houston by the New Orleans crowd. Boring & predictable.

...ok. Sounds like you've got a story to tell, because I can't relate to what you've stated here.

Point of the post is opinion...and you gave yours. And thanks for your honest assessment. My post is very straightforward, and I think that readers of my post will see that it is non-argumentative and searching for opinion. That's all...

Point of the post is opinion...and you gave yours. And thanks for your honest assessment. My post is very straightforward, and I think that readers of my post will see that it is non-argumentative and searching for opinion. That's all...

1. It was too big

2. They did not like us

3. Made us uncomfortable

4. Couldn't wait to get back (to New Orleans)

5. They do not know how to eat

6. They have no clue how to boil crawfish

7. They looked down on us

8. The city is full of Mexicans

9. They really hate us & made us feel it

"Some of it is funny"

I guess I missed the punch line.

"I'm not knocking Houston.."

:blink:

1. It was too big

2. They did not like us

3. Made us uncomfortable

4. Couldn't wait to get back (to New Orleans)

5. They do not know how to eat

6. They have no clue how to boil crawfish

7. They looked down on us

8. The city is full of Mexicans

9. They really hate us & made us feel it

"Some of it is funny"

I guess I missed the punch line.

"I'm not knocking Houston.."

:blink:

I like Houston. I did not flood in New Orleans. I returned to this city on Sept. 28, and I'm white. I've been to Houston three times since the storm and have spent several thousand dollars for leisure fun and to get away from the recovery. It's been difficult. I thought the comments about boiling crawfish wer funny and truthful. The other comments, were also truthful, but, were sad. The going "opinion," is that Houston treated our thousands of middle class black citizens wrongly. New Orleans is similar to Atlanta in the fact that we have a strong middle to upper class black population that is a vital part of working corporate America. I know this isn't common in Houston and can be an affront to reality there. Again, I'm not picking arguments, but, I am disappointed to hear these stories out of returnees to the City. I understand, though. I think it is clear that after 3 to 4 months, alot of the passion died and turned to regret and anger. Again, I only quoted this lady, from New Orleans, who had a net worth that is quite significant. Based on appearance, though, you'd never know. You want to argue and I don't. I'm just stating a quote and wanted to gauge opinion. You know what I'm posting here is true. The answer is intelligent dialoque and the reason Houstonians came to regret New Orleans' evacuees and pertrayed a certain perception on all......

alon, thank you for telling us the straight scoop on what our guests thought of Houston. I'm sure you were straightforward with them, as you were with us. For instance, I am sure you told them that the reason some people in Houston may have acted the way they did is because of comments that you made to us like this one on June 16:

Congratulations...you've earned yourself some new citizens. They aren't coming back, because we are demolishing the projects and only 1,000 can return according to HUD.

I'm sure you told your clients that the reason some Houstonians didn't sound right is that we do not have 300 years experience of shining on Black people like you do. I'm sure they understand.

Oh, and I would have never guessed that you were white if you hadn't told us. Thank you.

You know what I'm posting here is true. The answer is intelligent dialoque and the reason Houstonians came to regret New Orleans' evacuees and pertrayed a certain perception on all......

I do not know that what you are posting is true. You know absolutely nothing about Houston if you think a strong middle & upper class black population isn't common here & is an affront to our reality. Nothing could be further from the truth. But enough of my opinions. We will see what others have to say.

New Orleans is similar to Atlanta in the fact that we have a strong middle to upper class black population that is a vital part of working corporate America. I know this isn't common in Houston and can be an affront to reality there.

You evidently don't know Houston quite THAT well...we have black people of all kinds here...just as are present in both NO and Atlanta.

An affront to reality? Jeez. I thought rps was going a little over the top, but you're making me think twice...

alon, thank you for telling us the straight scoop on what our guests thought of Houston. I'm sure you were straightforward with them, as you were with us. For instance, I am sure you told them that the reason some people in Houston may have acted the way they did is because of comments that you made to us like this one on June 16:

I'm sure you told your clients that the reason some Houstonians didn't sound right is that we do not have 300 years experience of shining on Black people like you do. I'm sure they understand.

Oh, and I would have never guessed that you were white if you hadn't told us. Thank you.

I was typing as you responded...good post, Red. :)

It's no secret that I'm glad that many of our criminals aren't returning. And I've heard positives from some people. I did have a couple about four months ago, tell me that Houston was most gracious. But, I've heard alot of negatives lately. Maybe it's just the emotions of people returning home who have lost everything. Everyone has been weird and hurt. Like I've mentioned, my parents (both 58), lost it all, as well. I've heard through the media that Houston came to regret black individuals from New Orleans and I wanted to guage the boards thoughts. Opinion here seems to be as bitter as I've been told and heard through the media. You're stuck with the poor...they are truthfully your new citizens, unless they come back in 3 or so years, when we re-invent our public housing. But, many are coming back very hurt, but, truth be told, they were already very hurt when they arrived in Houston last year. It's been hard. 1500 died in this city. The bitter talk only puts acid on the open wounds, IMO, between the two cities. It's been difficult, and we all seem to feel it...

The bitterness you hear is not Houston regrettting helping those in need. There may be a few selfish bastards here that reporters found, but the majority of us are immensely proud of what we as a CITY did for the least fortunate in New Orleans, something that the more fortunate in New Orleans, apparently including yourself, never did.

I have never met you, and I hope I never do. But, you will NEVER tarnish the pride I have in what my city and myself did for these people. It is not about what they think, but what we did. Clearly, being amongst the white elite of New Orleans, you have no idea what I mean.

The bitterness you hear is not Houston regrettting helping those in need. There may be a few selfish bastards here that reporters found, but the majority of us are immensely proud of what we as a CITY did for the least fortunate in New Orleans, something that the more fortunate in New Orleans, apparently including yourself, never did.

I have never met you, and I hope I never do. But, you will NEVER tarnish the pride I have in what my city and myself did for these people. It is not about what they think, but what we did. Clearly, being amongst the white elite of New Orleans, you have no idea what I mean.

What a very ugly thing to say. You're right, you don't know me and you don't know what I've done or what I have been involved with to help my friends and neighbors in New Orleans. That's all I've got to say about your quote. You're blood runs alot colder than mine....

What a very ugly thing to say.

Damn right, it is. It is the perfect response to your underhanded ugliness. A decent person would have never even thought of trying to stir up trouble by repeating those remarks, IF they were even made.

Damn right, it is. It is the perfect response to your underhanded ugliness. A decent person would have never even thought of trying to stir up trouble by repeating those remarks, IF they were even made.

You know, if Houston would have been hit by this storm with the situation reversed, and these comments came out of New Orleans, I would have done the exact same thing....just goes to show you how much you know about me. As proud as I am of my City, I'm not denying that the same thing would have occurred....this is getting tired. You win. You're taking it personal, and I'm attempting to address, head on, with citizens of Houston, the bizarre circumstances that unfolded and the societal issues that have arisen. It's very real. The quote in my first post stands as the truth...whether you like it or not. The sweet lady did not lie to me.

I've heard through the media that Houston came to regret black individuals from New Orleans and I wanted to guage the boards thoughts.

Well, there you go, you read and heard about it in the media. Which article did you read ? The one where that Elitist reporter said she had no clue how to read a map and get around our fair city ? Or the one where they showed our crime rate was up 23% from last year alone because of the fine ex-inhabitants of New Orleans.

Alon, I hate to pee in your wheaties pal, but your city is only good for 2 things, boozin' it up and making an ass out of yourself on Bourbon Street. It is amazing the amount of folks that got trapped, after the levy broke, I see the media interviewing folks that claimed "Well, I'm so poor, I couldn't leave, I didn't have no car, I couldn't get out. The Govt. should have saved me !" I will tell you that I deal with at least 2 to 3 people from New Orleans every other day telling me how they lost their car "during the flood", and they need to buy another. NEED TO BUY ANOTHER ? They wouldn't need another if they had left in the one they had already when Mayor Nagin begged everyone to get out !

I don't think the city of Houston as a whole, regrets having these folks here, we will usually welcome anyone here with open arms. But, don't come in and start acting like you are runnin' things. Learn the culture and the rules to be a decent guest, as you have been treated by a gracious and decent host. Don't act like you are "owed" something. It broke my heart that our New Orleans neighbors lost everything, then a month later our own state gets hit, and WE scramble to do more, and the majority of the New Orleans people were like, "We were here first, they need to go on to somewhere else." After going through the same exact thing, you would figure on a little compassion. Hey, they got their FEMA checks though, and were able to get that new BLING over at the Galleria, and go over to the Strip Club ! Again, that is just how the media plays it though, isn't it ? Not like there are any records to show how and what those FEMA cards were being used for, but HEY, as long as they don't come back to bother you back in New Orleans, you got no problems with THAT, now do you Alon ? :huh:

Alon, I got an idea, just go troll in some New Orleans website, and leave us mean ol' Houstonians be. That way you save yourself the embarassment of us having to pound on you like a veal cutlet, and we get to keep our blood pressures down. <_<

If any folks from Nawlins want to come to our fair city, they are more than welcome. I will tell them the places to go to eat crawfish, I will send you to the "not so hispanic parts of town", I promise not to look down on any of them, I will make them feel welcome, I will show them the easiest ways to get around town so it doesn't feel SO big. Then, I will promptly boot their @$$e$ back to N.O. so they won't have to worry about being homesick and wanting to get back in such a hurry. :mellow:

What seems to be the real problem is that you took one person's accounts as fact, I didn't find anything she said to be funny. I wonder how she would feel if you told her about your little comments on other black folks that you hope WON'T be returning to N.O., did you tell her about your feelings on that ?

I'm not sorry my city is known as boozin it up...what's wrong with that if you still make a great living? You have one life to live...it might as well be one that enjoys good food and good liquor. It's hard to comprehend, but, our motivation in life is not besting another city, or making the most money. A life of true happiness, without insecurities is grand, and I live it in my city. We're doing just fine. It might kill you to know that we are, actually secure, and we're not infatuated with competing with Dallas and Atlanta. This doesn't consume our being or survival. Over here we know Houston as a gigantic Metairie that lacks the culture of the city. But, yes, I still love Houston. I visit often and have been faithful for the last 14 years to my annual Christmas shopping trip to the Galleria and staying at the Westin.

i'm black and trying to figure out the point of this...? was it supposed to be funny? ironic? sad?

Hey y'all,

I find this thread very interesting. First, I feel that there are many misconceptions about Houston and New Orleans. First, Houston has alot of affluent blacks. In fact, while I lived in NOLA, Houston and Atlanta were the places to move if you actually wanted to make a decent living. If you just graduate from high school or even Dillard or UNO, what are you going to do in New Orleans? ExxonMobil, Shell and a slew of other companies have downsized. Their two largest industries are the Hospitality and Shipping industry and those opportunities don't pay that well as a whole. The fact is that there are way more opportunities and an overall better standard of living in Houston.

Second, how have we Houstonians been at all rude to those from Louisiana? We have not skewed figures, and the labels to which have been applied to those from New Orleans would have been put on any other group. If this rise in crime would have been from another ethnic group or area of town, they would have been labeled as well. The media loves to run with it and it makes a great excuse for social problems. Is it fair? No, but that is what a few rotten apples will do to the whole bunch.

Third, I am black and I love those in the New Orleans community as a whole. When I lived in Harvey, ("The West Bank is the Best Bank") I made alot of lasting relationships with ppl that's much stronger than many that I have here, but I believe that New Orleans has many pregidouses between blacks and whites, and even within the black community itself. I think that is my main knock against New Orleans and that's something that Houston has gotten over, so I think that your statement about Houston hating New Orleans is absolutely false. Taking the figures that the French Quarter in 93% Caucasian as in Gonzales, Mandeville, Slidell, as well as other communities and counter that with the percentages of blacks that live in the Ninth Ward or out Paris Road or in New Orleans East and it's easy to see why I made the above statement.

Fourth, what are those from NOLA returning to? There has been previous high unemployment, poor city services, below average to terrible schools other than private (i.e the Newmans, etc.) and the one on UNO's campus (I forget it's name), and a poor and consistently over budget government. I mean if there are so many affluent blacks in NOLA and New Orleans East, why was the mall out there closed and crime ridden excepts for the Dillard's, or why did Jazzland out there do so poorly, or the roads so poorly maintained? Why did the blacks in New Orleans consistently vote for ppl like Morial or Nagin? Is Houston really that unlivable or the people that pregidoused?

To me, the bottom line is that if people want to return, they should. We accepted people with open arms and I'm sure we will continue to do so. I feel that there is a sense of pregidous everywhere, even here (ex. the Fort Bend church fire) but I feel that it had a bigger presense in New Orleans and that's just my opinion. I feel that I was judged more there as an African American and I felt the plight of blacks in general more there than here, or in Atlanta or in Baltimore. In fact the only city I think is worse in Saint Louis after living there for 4 years. I really do respect your opinions alon, but I think the problem is more people being homesick about their people and culture more than being wronged and returning with this blame of increased violence, etc being a great excuse to return.

Sincerely,

caevans3

My biggest issue with people from N.O is here at my apartment they are STILL sitting at home a year later!!!

BUT, however, I have talked to some fellow apartment residents who came from New Orleans and found a living here (others like it here). I don't care what color they are I like people for who they are.

One resident said he came here from New Orleans when Katrina's flood ruined his prized possession (sp??) and he's not getting help off FEMA he's paying for the apartment by hand. That as well as the other residents look to be middle class (I can't tell) but they are polite and quiet.

The only evuacees that bother me are the ones in my current apartment still at home, sitting around on their porch listening to music-like they have the day off, enjoying the rest of the day after I put in a good hard 10 hours (or more) at work.

As far as contributing and Houston playing host to New Orlean's Katrina evacuees. (Being nice and hospitable) I put in more then enough hours to make food for the George R. Brown (I think it was 20,000 sandwiches or more for the week) to give to the less fortunate.

There is only so much we can do before the hospitality turns into hostility.

or one outwelcomes their welcome.

9 out of 10 black people living on the east end make 80k a year? Bullshit. Explain the 6th through 9th Wards.

Every store in Houston is ran by Mexicans & everything sold is Mexican? Bullshit. We have Indian stores, Chinese stores, Japanese stores, Jewish stores, Russian stores, Korean stores, Vietnamese stores, Filipino stores, African stores, Traditional American stores, and yes we even have a few Mexican stores.

Houstonians don't know how to eat? Bullshit. We are continually voted the fatest city in America. We have more restaurants per capita than any other city in the nation. We have cuisine from every corner of the earth.

I'll speak for myself on this one:

Wanted the residents of New Orleans to go back to New Orleans? Yes. I'm sick of the crime, the whining, and the abuse of the system. Alon I'm calling bullshit to your whole post, as has everyone else here. You are a perfect example of why Houstonians have "compassion fatigue".

As far as contributing and Houston playing host to New Orlean's Katrina evacuees. (Being nice and hospitable) I put in more then enough hours to make food for the George R. Brown (I think it was 20,000 sandwiches or more for the week) to give to the less fortunate.

There is only so much we can do before the hospitality turns into hostility.

So, at 20,001 sandwiches, you're out, right?

if we didn't have compassion (as Houstonians) then why did the people of this city take in complete strangers and host them (while they tried to make the evaucees feel a bit more comfortable and at ease?)

Even the local supermarkets gave discounts to those hosting the New Orleans evacuees.

alon504,

I think everyone covered alot of what I wanted to say, except that one minor fact.

You stated that Houston has NEVER been hit by a major storm. You're dead wrong. We've been hit by a couple of good sized hurricanes, including Alicia and Allison (which was a serious Tropical storm) that caused extensive flooding and damage to our downtown areas.

Did anyone else come to help us? Some. But we pulled ourselves by our bootstraps.

As far as Houston not being helpful, that's total BS, even people in your native state were hesistant to take people from the region in. Hell, Dallas and San Antonio as well as other major cities didn't really help that much compared to we did.

We strained our budget, our Mayor put his entire city budget in the HOPES that we would get funding.

The result of our helping is an increase in crime (30% of the murders in this city involved Katrina as either victims or aggressors.).

I'm afraid that your crime rate is also sky rocketing because of the fact the police in Houston are more aggressive and the population isn't as forgiving (did we mention our gun laws? oh yeah, quite legal to shoot people in self defense and protection of property and we can carry). The result of this "non-forgiving" is the fact that six N.O. citizens were shot dead in the act of 2 car jackings and 3 robberies of a domestic residence in the first 2 weeks.

our Darwin effect is a bit faster, but they learned and they're heading back to N.O. because it's easier.

Take them back, I sure don't need most of the trash I had to deal with in the past year.

oh and Texas not being hit by a storm... one of the BIGGEST storms in the history of Texas was the storm of 1900 that hit Galveston. That basically almost killed everyone on the island. The island picked itself up and built a seawall and is STILL trying today to put itself back together.

Search no more.....

Quite honestly, this is one of the more schitzoid posts I've read in awhile.

They did not like us. They thought we were all criminals and made us uncomfortable. I couldn't wait to get back, and they wanted us all to come back. They looked down on us and when we tried to get jobs, and found out we were from New Orleans, we never heard from them again.

So they didn't like them and then they wanted them all to come back? Or are your skills at composing a readable sentence lacking? Hard to tell.

Crawfish? That's an issue???

Mexicans. Yes, those nasty, evil Mexicans that went to NO; are helping to re-build NO while many NOer's continue to lanquish in Houston. How dare those big bad Mexicans open stores! The horror of their initiative!!!

9 out of 10 of the black people from New Orleans who came here were homeowners making over $80K/ year? :lol:

Anyway, we Houstonians have nothing to apologize for regarding our efforts towards Katrina victims. Sorry the city is so sprawlling, BTW.

B)

Archived