Independent Music Store

I have a friend who owns an independent music store in the Klein area. He wants to open another store inside the loop, and he's interested in the Heights neighborhood as a possible location. Since I'm only somewhat familiar with the neighborhood, I will need some help. The store would sell a wide variety of music along with miscellaneous items and collector items. Would the neighborhood like having the store and would there be plenty of business? If so, what would be the best corner or block to lease a space for it?

I'm sure my friend plans to do a little market research of his own, but I told him I'd bring the idea on here, since some of you know the Heights very well.

What demographic is your friend going for? I tend to think of the Heights as a neighborhood of older, married with kids type of place. Kind of the suburbs within the city limits, but more hip and progressively-minded.

If he's looking for a younger and more independent clientele, I would suggest the Montrose or Midtown. Maybe even downtown, if it was in a visible and heavily trafficked location.

I think it would probably be best located along 6th - near onion creek - that would give you good access to i-10.

Or maybe in the heights downtown on 19th st.

I think it would give it some personality or "street cred" if it was in a eclectic building (like an old gas station) and not in a newer strip center.

other business streets to consider would be 11th, 14th, or Yale.

i sort of agree with timmy chan about montrose/midtown if you are going for a younger demographic.

but then if you were in a spot on 6th near Fitzgeralds. that might be the best of both worlds.

what about townhome city (rice military) out washington ave? that would seem like an ideal spot , especially since it is booming and with single folks instead of families

I think The Heights is too sleepy for a cool record store.

Midtown, Montrose - up and down Alabama, Richmond, Shepard or Kirby.

Gotta be near the people.

Unless this store is a true destination in itself, it'll be hard to get the casual music shopper into The Heights.

What kind of music store? Is he planning on specializing in any niche? It's such a touch market for CD stores. Montrose already has Soundwaves, and Upper Kirby has Borders. Shepherd seems like it might not work, judging by the experience of Wherehouse and Cactus (both dead).

Shepherd seems like it might not work

Not to mention Black Dog Records. Which kinda reminds me of how Arthur described this. store.

Could it be Vinyl Edge on Vetrans? It's pretty close to Klein. They have a great selection of everything.

I'd like to see them in the city.

Well, I fall in to that married and starting a family demographic, but my husband and I are huge music lovers. My collection ranges from Faron Young to Public Enemy; Madonna to King Crimson. Most of our friends in the Heights are the same. Many of them are artists and musicians. I think this would be a great area for a store like that. It would have no competition (unlike Montrose) and would be embraced by the residents.

I agree that it would need to be in a funky building on a major thoroughfare, like 19th or 6th. I would say 6th. Have you seen the crowd at Onion Creek? It's not yuppies with babies. At 33 (and fairly hip) I often feel a little old and dull compared to the rest of their crowd.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the replies. My friend is set on the Heights area as far as the general neighborhood. He doesn't want to go into Montrose, Lower Kirby, Midtown, Shepherd areas, because he's trying to go where few have tried to go before. His store in Klein area is called "Music Town", which he's operated with success for many years. He likes the idea of a neighborhood store, so, for instance, he wouldn't want to be close to I-10 just because of the freeway access.

I have been to Onion Creek. That section of the Heights seems like a neat spot around 6th and Studewood. The 19th historic section is great too, if he could put the store in an old building. I'm wondering if he puts it in Rice Military, which is such a small area, although beginning to thrive, it would seem to disregard the Heights.

I think the heights would be a great location for an independent record store (though that sentiment is partly selfish). It is a very large residential area that has few options nearby for good independent music. As for the Montrose area, there's too much established competition. And as a twenty-something-married-parent, I still buy plenty of music and would love to have something local in the heights that I could walk to or ride my bike to and browse and buy rather than ordering from an online store.

Don't forget that soon the Heights will have a Target with low priced popular music. Target's selection is inconsistent and rarely do I find myself going there with music in mind. That said, I have bought a few CD from Target to save myself a trip to Cactus or Soundwaves.

I understand the cultural benefits of having an independent store but from a business perspective the owner should know this before they decide on a location.

Thanks Northwood. I had forgotten about the new Target. I think my friend's strategy will be to have a neighoborhood store that residents can call their own, not to be merely a store that calculates everything and tries to be near a freeway to get the most business out of a certain demographic area. I've always believed that small businesses that try to be too competitive usually fail, and those that just try to be themselves and embrace a community usually do well.

I had forgotten about the new Target. I think my friend's strategy will be to have a neighoborhood store that residents can call their own, not to be merely a store that calculates everything and tries to be near a freeway to get the most business out of a certain demographic area. I've always believed that small businesses that try to be too competitive usually fail, and those that just try to be themselves and embrace a community usually do well.

I hear you and agree. Best of luck!

Don't forget about All Records on West Gray - very good for jazz and vocal performers, and '50s thru '70s rock. The proprietor is especially knowledgable and helpful.

That's my uncle -lol!! I was reading this thread with interest b/c of him. He's been on West Gray as long as I can remember, but used to be across the street in a busier area. He was forced to move when a certain restaurant wanted to expand and his location is not as easily seen now. Thanks for the plug for him! I know he LOVES what he does -it's his passion!

Thanks Northwood. I had forgotten about the new Target. I think my friend's strategy will be to have a neighoborhood store that residents can call their own, not to be merely a store that calculates everything and tries to be near a freeway to get the most business out of a certain demographic area. I've always believed that small businesses that try to be too competitive usually fail, and those that just try to be themselves and embrace a community usually do well.

I agree. Here is a quote I saw the other day that kind of applies:

I have a friend who owns an independent music store in the Klein area. He wants to open another store inside the loop, and he's interested in the Heights neighborhood as a possible location. Since I'm only somewhat familiar with the neighborhood, I will need some help. The store would sell a wide variety of music along with miscellaneous items and collector items. Would the neighborhood like having the store and would there be plenty of business? If so, what would be the best corner or block to lease a space for it?

I'm sure my friend plans to do a little market research of his own, but I told him I'd bring the idea on here, since some of you know the Heights very well.

No advice as I don't know the area well, but I was interested in your thread. Best wishes to your friend!

• The title was changed to Independent Music Store

Archived