Memorial Real Estate

Guest danax

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys,

Thanks for the info. Price is always an issue, but for the sake of this educational discussion, assume it is not. ;-) I prefer older, 1-story homes. Frankly, the less updated, the better. Looking to pay for land, find some hidden value (i.e., insurance) in the structure. We played that game in Southgate, and it worked well.

Here is a listing I thought looked about right. Seems real secluded with a 2/3 acre lot, and certainly not new!

Katie, it seems like most of the areas you discuss are outside BW8. What do you think of the area between 610 and BW8? What do you think of the 5 "Villages"? Too snooty?

I am familiar with Hershy Park, and I think it's the gem of W. Houston. A good-sized lot backing to the Park would be nice.

Thanks again.

Man, if that house is in your price range, I'd be all over it. Mod, which is my favorite, excellent location. I believe the Villages will continue to skyrocket in value in the longterm.

KatieDidIt--I am liking these houses you are describing and showing. Seems like the "price/performance" ratio is pretty good out there. I'll pass on the 6000 sf house, I'm afraid!

My daughter is all of 20 months. By the time HS rolls around, let's hope I'm retired. ;-) If we can get a good elementary school, we're in business for the next ten years.

The thing that amazed me, in my time living in Southgate, was that it was never, ever quiet. We were far from any freeways, but the ambient noise level was bad. Maybe it is better out in this area?

Scott08--when I was a kid, i always loved those low-slung mod houses with circular drives and huge trees. No idea why.

Thanks again...

KatieDidIt--I am liking these houses you are describing and showing. Seems like the "price/performance" ratio is pretty good out there. I'll pass on the 6000 sf house, I'm afraid!

My daughter is all of 20 months. By the time HS rolls around, let's hope I'm retired. ;-) If we can get a good elementary school, we're in business for the next ten years.

The thing that amazed me, in my time living in Southgate, was that it was never, ever quiet. We were far from any freeways, but the ambient noise level was bad. Maybe it is better out in this area?

Scott08--when I was a kid, i always loved those low-slung mod houses with circular drives and huge trees. No idea why.

Thanks again...

Quick post beforethe kids get up and we do the whole school thing.

The houses up near Memorial Dr. hear a roar. As you go back towards the park it gets quieter and quieter. Other than mowers and blowers on Thursdays and Fridays, all we hear back here are birds, trees and the a kid yelling from time to time. It's exceedingly peaceful.

I know what you mean about the 6000 sf house. Yikes. But that house 1.5 miles east would be worth 1.7.

I think the villages still hold great value but...YOu have the new issue of the "new" old house going into resale. HOuses built in the 80's or 90's. It seems to make the old "old" house worth less and the value is only in the lot.Great deals aren't to be had and there are reasons why certain ones sit at what looks like a good price.

West of the Beltway may or may not take off even more.It's always a gamble. But with the Energy Corridor and CityCentre going the way it is, along with the population boom, the strong schools, it seems like it might go in our favor. But like you, we made our first good run with a house in Tanglewood that helped us with all our other purchases. My SIL, who is an agent, already told me she had a client who would pay 150 than what we bought this house for last year. But since that is just a little more than our improvements (and the fact I love it here) we said no.

MOre later, there go the alarms.Boys to be fed.

I don't mind at all paying lot value for a home. It's the only way you know for sure that you didn't overpay for the structure. ^_^ My father-in-law has a philosophy that I like: buy the crappiest house on a great street. To give you some perspective on where I'm coming from in terms of price/performance, take a look at what $900K buys you in Mountain View, CA. (For those not wanting to click, it's a 3/1, 1200sf home built in the 1920s on a 4500 sf lot, with middling public schools). A Houston "tear down" on a 1/2 acre lot is veritable luxury compared to something like this!

Who knows, land values on the west side may crater, but if they did, I suspect they'd crater everywhere in Houston. For all intents and purposes, the Energy Corridor has become "downtown" for the worldwide energy business, and it won't go away, even if oil prices crater. This wasn't the case in 1978. You look at things like the good schools, the park, the big lots, and it seems to me that all the chips are in place for this to be considered a "nice place", which should keep land values high for quite a while. Who knows, perhaps some "culture" may eventually make its way out there. Over the past five years, I've noticed a steady trend of the strip malls in W. Houston going upscale.

I have a seemingly odd question -- I'm a big fan of big trees, and in my limited arboreal knowledge, big trees like well-drained, sandy soil, like what you find around Memorial Park (or anywhere on the natural levee of a sizeable river). How are the trees in the area you describe?

Thanks

I don't mind at all paying lot value for a home. It's the only way you know for sure that you didn't overpay for the structure. ^_^ My father-in-law has a philosophy that I like: buy the crappiest house on a great street. To give you some perspective on where I'm coming from in terms of price/performance, take a look at what $900K buys you in Mountain View, CA. (For those not wanting to click, it's a 3/1, 1200sf home built in the 1920s on a 4500 sf lot). A Houston "tear down" on a 1/2 acre lot is veritable luxury compared to something like this!

Who knows, land values on the west side may crater, but if they did, I suspect they'd crater everywhere in Houston. For all intents and purposes, the Energy Corridor has become "downtown" for the worldwide energy business, and it won't go away, even if oil prices crater. This wasn't the case in 1978. You look at things like the good schools, the park, the big lots, and it seems to me that all the chips are in place for this to be considered a "nice place", which should keep land values high for quite a while. Who knows, perhaps some "culture" may eventually make its way out there. Over the past five years, I've noticed a steady trend of the strip malls in W. Houston going upscale.

I have a seemingly odd question -- I'm a big fan of big trees, and in my limited arboreal knowledge, big trees like well-drained, sandy soil, like what you find around Memorial Park (or anywhere on the natural levee of a sizeable river). How are the trees in the area you describe?

Thanks

Trees- Big old 60-year old Oak, Elm, Magnolia. Remember it's as close to the bayou as Memorial Park, closer in some places. There are a few pine left, but most made way for the hardwoods 40 years ago. The bayou is dense with trees along with all the specimens they have planted along the path. The trees and the lot size are what made us by our house "out here." I saw it on Har.com and made My husband look at it within hours of it's listing instructing him to bid on it if it felt as good as it looked. HE did, and I came down the next day and fell in love with the dense tree lines, HUGE Water Oak in the back yard and the lot that was gracious, green and inviting. It was so peaceful compared to The Woodlands.

Best thing is, You can't see your neighbor's house behind you. Trees and fencelines are dense. 40 feet and Higher.

Why don't you do that Google Streetview deal and walk the neighborhoods via internet? It will give you little idea, but certainly not the placid feel of the place. One good starting walk would be that 402 Regentview listing,77079. Walk west, then turn around and walk east. You will get a feel of the space between homes and the trees. This has always been a very "nice" place, but more upper-middle class than upper (kinda like Briargrove was 10 years ago). It's values just went flat for a while during the crash. The rebirth has been trickling west for a few years now, 2004 prices started to move upwards and now this place is starting to take off even more with the EC.

The closer to the bayou, the bigger the potential.

I seriously question whether we will ever move. With a city this size it's hard to find quiet, green and close. Quiet being the hardest.

Edit: 402 Regentview just went pending after 3 days on the market. I had a feeling it would go quick.

I will offer a quick counter to Katie's advice on the RiverBend house.

Those few streets are EXCELLENT. I grew up on River Point Drive. There is seldom ANY traffic there since the streets don't go anywhere. Kids play freely in the front lawns and on the streets. Nightly strolls, bike rides, kickball games, etc... were the norm. Plus, it is possible to get on the excellent hike and bike trail on the Western side of Voss and connect up to the ones on Memorial Drive.

An added plus is that almost the entire neighborhood has Buffalo Bayou in the backyard. Ultimate privacy and greenspace + flooding is rarely an issue. My parent's house NEVER flooded. Once, the flood waters came close (5 to 10 feet away) to the furthest deck but that is it. Those lots, especially the ones on the Bayou, have fairly steep ravines.

Now, Katie is right about being zoned to HISD despite being Hunter's Creek Village. However, Briargrove is an excellent elemntary school and Grady is improving. For H.S., you have the option of choosing between Lamar and Westside. Most opt for Lamar as it is an excellent school. Lamar has a nice mixture of local kids (River Oaks, Tanglewood, Briargrove, Southampton) and I.B. students from all over the city.

However, the biggest plus in my mind is that the neighborhood is fairly intact. Very few McMansions although there have been some rough add-ons but those are usually built in the rear of the properties.

Edited to add,

the best part is you are literally midway between the city and west houston. Woodway and Memorial drive fairly quickly meaning the Inner Loop is only 10 minutes away. Your kid(s) will thank you for living that "close in!"

I will offer a quick counter to Katie's advice on the RiverBend house.

Those few streets are EXCELLENT. I grew up on River Point Drive. There is seldom ANY traffic there since the streets don't go anywhere. Kids play freely in the front lawns and on the streets. Nightly strolls, bike rides, kickball games, etc... were the norm. Plus, it is possible to get on the excellent hike and bike trail on the Western side of Voss and connect up to the ones on Memorial Drive.

An added plus is that almost the entire neighborhood has Buffalo Bayou in the backyard. Ultimate privacy and greenspace + flooding is rarely an issue. My parent's house NEVER flooded. Once, the flood waters came close (5 to 10 feet away) to the furthest deck but that is it. Those lots, especially the ones on the Bayou, have fairly steep ravines.

Now, Katie is right about being zoned to HISD despite being Hunter's Creek Village. However, Briargrove is an excellent elemntary school and Grady is improving. For H.S., you have the option of choosing between Lamar and Westside. Most opt for Lamar as it is an excellent school. Lamar has a nice mixture of local kids (River Oaks, Tanglewood, Briargrove, Southampton) and I.B. students from all over the city.

However, the biggest plus in my mind is that the neighborhood is fairly intact. Very few McMansions although there have been some rough add-ons but those are usually built in the rear of the properties.

Edited to add,

the best part is you are literally midway between the city and west houston. Woodway and Memorial drive fairly quickly meaning the Inner Loop is only 10 minutes away. Your kid(s) will thank you for living that "close in!"

Well, I would take Kinkaid's advice then over mine. Nothing like the opinions of those who have lived in an area. I do know however that house has been off and on the market a couple times the past year for whatever reason I don't know. And there are several for sale on those streets.

Kinkaid, what are they going to build in the old Antoine's lot now that the Sterling tanked?At least that wouldn't be looming over Riverbend anymore.

This one came on in Hedwig. However these days you can pretty much here the I-10 Roar 24/7 north of Beinhorn. http://www.har.com/2151088

Well, much of the privacy will be somewhat lost due to the twin 27 story towers being built on the bayou back near San Felipe @ Woodway. That will definitely suck. I had totally forgotten about that. My mom moved out of there about 3 years ago so I almost never make it back down that way when I come into town.

As for that particular house, it has been in the same family for many years. Despite the claims of "updated in 1991", that house is scary to most potential buyers who want something more cookie cutter. That said, the bones are solid unless there is something that doesn't meet the eye.

I think a reason for the many homes for sale back there has to do with generational turnover. The neighborhood seems to be a 50%/50% mix of new younger couples with school aged kids and older retirees living alone. I'd imagine a good portion of the homes for sale belong to older folks who want something easier to manage.

This one is at lot value and already has a cash offer bidding war!

flipper

I've heard a lot of bidding war stories in the Memorial area lately. That one down the street from us apparently is going to sell for more than listing. It's crazy out there. Just when you thought it couldn't go much higher....

Biggest problem? There are not enough private high schools to house the demand, so a zoning to good public high school is a must. However, St. Francis just sent out a questionaire about building a High School and tehy will determine by the end of 2008 if they will do so.But still, not enough schools for those who want to attend them currently or in the future with the population increases.

You guys do a great job of selling the area--thanks so much for the information. It seems like I need to get some boots on the ground if and when this thing goes forward.

Here is a home on Paul Revere that looked interesting. Any thoughts about the area?

yeah, I linked that one in an earlier post. I like that street and we looked at one on there last year. The only draw backs that I see is that it's a single family residental street that is wedged between a townhouse/condo area and Some Tealwood condo townhomes. Ultimately, backing up to Ethan's Glen and being close to Gessner, hubby said no to it.

But I loved that Rice and some great little shops were across the street. I love being able to walk to stuff. It makes being a Foodie more fun, because you can share a bottle of wine and walk home. We do that at Bistro Provence all the time.

There are some neat things that come up on Hollow ( across Memorial from there) from time to time that look awesome.

yeah, I linked that one in an earlier post. I like that street and we looked at one on there last year. The only draw backs that I see is that it's a single family residental street that is wedged between a townhouse/condo area and Some Tealwood condo townhomes. Ultimately, backing up to Ethan's Glen and being close to Gessner, hubby said no to it.

But I loved that Rice and some great little shops were across the street. I love being able to walk to stuff. It makes being a Foodie more fun, because you can share a bottle of wine and walk home. We do that at Bistro Provence all the time.

There are some neat things that come up on Hollow ( across Memorial from there) from time to time that look awesome.

Oh, my bad--I'm sure I looked at it when you sent the link earlier. Too much stuff goint on.

I thought of a question last night that I wanted to ask you, and you allude to it here--you say that there is plenty of stuff within walking distance (restaurants, shops, etc.). Are there any places along the Buffalo Bayou corridor that are better than others in this sense?

That was one thing I did like about Southgate--you could walk to the Village easily, although the streets weren't great for walking (narrow, bad/no sidewalks, traffic).

Oh, my bad--I'm sure I looked at it when you sent the link earlier. Too much stuff goint on.

I thought of a question last night that I wanted to ask you, and you allude to it here--you say that there is plenty of stuff within walking distance (restaurants, shops, etc.). Are there any places along the Buffalo Bayou corridor that are better than others in this sense?

That was one thing I did like about Southgate--you could walk to the Village easily, although the streets weren't great for walking (narrow, bad/no sidewalks, traffic).

I can really think of only a few areas around the bayou OTL that lend itself to easy walking. Safe and stuff within 1/2 mile.

That Riverbend area is very walkable. It's gotten VERY urban over there. You won't recognize it when you get back. Like Kinkaid said, there will be two 27 story tall towers built on the corner. Probably some other tower build built across from the Randalls. The old apartments were knocked down and there is now a three sotry retail center with a block of apartments behind it. Tons of stuff being built up and down Voss. Traffic is a nightmare 24/7.

The Paul Revere/Hollow/Memorial Pines location is another. Rice, A chinese restaurant, wine bar,stabucks, a bakery and a few other shops.

Memorial Bend and Fonn Villas are right across the street from Town and Country Village and the New CityCentre. However lots are painfully small and Spec builder are specing McMansions like there is no tomorrow.

Rustling Pines & Memorial Plaza, OTB, is walkable to TC and CC, but you have to cross the Beltway...and I just wouldn't do that after dark.

Wilchester and Yorkshire, OTB, have a little strip center with a great French Restuarant ( Bistro PRovence) in it. Yorkshire, is an easy walk to tons of stuff at Kirkwood. Nottingham Forest is an easy walk to everything as well.

Ever thought about Memorial Thicket or Barkers Landing? These are two neighborhoods past Eldridge on Memorial Dr. Both great.

Memorial Thicket backs to the bayou but nothing on the market right now that does. Actually nothing spectacular looking on the market right now (unless you update -- http://www.har.com/5029602). This is also a single entry patrol manned community.

Barkers Landing is on the north side of Memorial. It is a great community. Great neighbors and neighborhood! Nothing special on the market right now (http://www.har.com/2227960). The other ones have already sold or have gone optioned. This community is also patrolled.

Out of the three communities in the Kirkwood area (Yorkshire, Nottingham Forest, and Wilchester) I would choose Nottingham Forest. This is only because of the community center and park that they have. Amazing!!! This is also if there is a house in this vicinity. Otherwise I would choose Yorkshire hands down.

Best bet is to drive through these neighborhoods. Which one do you like most, etc.

Nottingham's lots are painfully small. Great neighborhood though if you you don't mind smaller lots. Treed and super kid friendly.

Memorial Thicket is straddled between HISD and KISD and feels a little removed from the other Memorial areas.

Yorkshire was on the market, now it's not. Except the 6000 sf house, YIKES. Things sell within a week if the house is viable.However, I have heard of people getting houses by ringing doorbells.

I think Mpro is going for is what we did. Family home plus the lot size. As Houston grows, a big lot near the bayou, in Memorial, in SBISD will only get more valuable. The bigger the lot, the sounder the house, the better the price/performace the better. They are just getting harder and harder to find.

Hello again...I was browsing har.com again and came across a "lot value" listing, 15000 sf lot in Bunker Hill Village. This looks almost exactly like my previous house in Southgate, but I digress.

The list price divided by lot size pegs lot value for a 15000 sf lot at $45/sf. Is this location solid? I couldn't find any obvious faults with it. If so, then you could probably assume a 20000 sf lot might go for ~ $40/sf, or $800K. This seems to roughly jive with what I see in the listings. (A breath of fresh air relative to $150/sf land values!)

Any comments?

Hello again...I was browsing har.com again and came across a "lot value" listing, 15000 sf lot in Bunker Hill Village. This looks almost exactly like my previous house in Southgate, but I digress.

The list price divided by lot size pegs lot value for a 15000 sf lot at $45/sf. Is this location solid? I couldn't find any obvious faults with it. If so, then you could probably assume a 20000 sf lot might go for ~ $40/sf, or $800K. This seems to roughly jive with what I see in the listings. (A breath of fresh air relative to $150/sf land values!)

Any comments?

Its an okkkkay area. They have been having a tough time lately with some nuisance crimes. Very loud over there and those streets are often used to cut around the Gessner/Memorial backup. They are adding turn lanes and such this summer. MCM and MH are really causing a lot of North/South congestion in the area. Not really quiet, but it will always hold its value due to Frostwood being across the street.

Once again, so many places are becoming very urban that used to be sleepy.

I also looked at the house on Paul Revere the way to school pickup. Very nice street. That house though had an extremely shallow culvert in front of it and sat level or below level of it. It was very close to the street, so its backyard must be huge. The house at the end is very interesting. Some new construction on the street. If you could escape and fix the culvert situation, I would take it over the Stoney Brook house.

Appreciate the assistance of all you Memorial-area mavens. Here is another question: How "safe" are the SBISD schools? By "safe", I do not mean the physical safety of the kids, but rather, how likely are the current "exemplary" schools to maintain that distinction over, say, the next ten years?

For old time's sake, I was looking at Roberts and Poe elementary schools, which are south of and north of Rice U., respectively. Roberts is exemplary, but Poe is now just "acceptable". I recall that Poe used to be excellent. What a distressing development for the residents of Southampton, whose property values are no doubt suffering as a result.

Thanks!

Appreciate the assistance of all you Memorial-area mavens. Here is another question: How "safe" are the SBISD schools? By "safe", I do not mean the physical safety of the kids, but rather, how likely are the current "exemplary" schools to maintain that distinction over, say, the next ten years?

For old time's sake, I was looking at Roberts and Poe elementary schools, which are south of and north of Rice U., respectively. Roberts is exemplary, but Poe is now just "acceptable". I recall that Poe used to be excellent. What a distressing development for the residents of Southampton, whose property values are no doubt suffering as a result.

Thanks!

Well the SBISD community is pretty solid, highly educated and very upper white collar, which usually translates to kids having expectations put upon them, which translates to higher scores in the school. So in the next 10 years I don't see SBISD slipping any.

Well the SBISD community is pretty solid, highly educated and very upper white collar, which usually translates to kids having expectations put upon them, which translates to higher scores in the school. So in the next 10 years I don't see SBISD slipping any.

I guess I worry more about encroachment from nearby areas. Encroachment could mean an actual deterioration of a given neighborhood or rezoning of a given school district. For instance, I notice that many of the HISD schools south of Buffalo Bayou seem to be really bad. It would be a shame to buy an expensive house and get re-zoned to one of those schools! This is an impossible question for you to answer, I realize, but I'm interested in speculation. ;-)

I guess I worry more about encroachment from nearby areas. Encroachment could mean an actual deterioration of a given neighborhood or rezoning of a given school district. For instance, I notice that many of the HISD schools south of Buffalo Bayou seem to be really bad. It would be a shame to buy an expensive house and get re-zoned to one of those schools! This is an impossible question for you to answer, I realize, but I'm interested in speculation. ;-)

I don't think SBISD and HISD will ever co-mingle. Could you imagine pissing off that many high property value tax payers? Too many people with major political pull living along the north bayou. If it ever hypothetically happened, it might be the first white collar street riot in history.

However, towards the west the HISD are actually really good. Barbara Bush Elem., West Briar Middle and Westside High school.

I know many districts are looking to raise taxes right back up to Pre-Perry propaganda, to pay for their district. Cy-Fair apparently two years from the brink.

Article on that district, SBISD and others

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/mem...ws/5771565.html

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask this.

Anyone here live in this zip? I think this is where we'll direct our next move. What I need are great schools, well established neighborhood, shopping, and a good investment opportunity helps too. Can't go over $350k for 4 bedroom home. A fixer is fine if the price is lower than that. One commute is to Hwy 6 & Bissonet, and the other is to the Medical Center. Good schools (elementary in particular) are the #1 priority, with safety, commute and good investment opportunity coming in next. Any feedback in particular on the subdivisions of Thornwood, Fleetwood, Barker's Landing? Is there a park-and-ride anywhere around there with bus service to the Medical Center?

Have already lived in Sugar Land, it's too far from all of our friends and a bit overpriced in my opinion.

I live in 77077 from 1979-89, and then 77079 from 89-2002.

77079 has amazing schools, I went to Meadow Wood and ended up at Stratford High School. (My 10 year reunion is this weekend!)

I lived in a VERY unique neigborhood, called Memorial Drive Acres (no signage though). The two main streets are White Wing and Rancho Bauer. It is just south of Memorial between Kirkwood and Dairy Ashford It was attached to the bayou, had asphalt roads, large lots, and even wild peacocks running around. Our house had a pool in the from yard.

Just check the value of my old home, it is listed $354,000.

My inlaws live over there now, in Memorial Thicket. We lived with them a couple years ago when our own house was being remodeled.

The commute down I-10 isn't bad if you leave early enough (6:00) but after that it's pretty rough. Mrs Cottonmather0 and I ended up carpooling a lot by the end and hopped on the HOV at the Hwy 6 park and ride each morning at 6:45 right before the passenger limit would increase. Getting to the Med Center would be pretty rough, I think, as the Westpark is pretty congested during rush hour, too, and it just puts you out onto 59 into more traffic.

Traffic on Memorial is TERRIBLE in the afternoon between 6 and Eldridge, fwiw.

I have friends who live over there with school age kids and they love the schools and put up with the traffic for that reason.

But it is indeed a nice neighborhood to live in otherwise, when you're not worried about commuting. Nice stores and neighborhoods and Terry Hershey Park is quite nice.

I lived in Barkers Landing from 1988-2008. Grew up there. I went from elementary through high school to Katy ISD schools. Wolfe and Katy ISD is what that area is zoned to (that area being west of Eldridge). Barkers was a great neighborhood but the only bad thing was that when I entered junior high I was bused like 30 min into Katy for school. That was awful. Good schools but bad commute.

I can go on about the fact that the area should be in Spring Branch ISD but anymore so I believe most of the kids after Wolfe are put into private school.

Also yes there is a park n ride at Hwy 6 and i-10. Its north of the freeway next to the tall hotel building.

Anything east of Eldridge is better suit for people who want kids in public schools or dont want to bus them in the other direction. If Katedidit sees the post she knows an extravagant amount about this area.

Here are some of the homes in the area (Single Family, 4+ bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, under 350k)

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y (Fleetwood)

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y (Barkers Landing)

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y (Fleetwood - foreclosure)

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y (Thornwood -zoned to Spring Branch)

Yes, I know a lot about the area because I live there. And after living in suburbia, it's extremely nice in 77079.

If you can get east of Dairy Ashford, I would recommend it. West of Eldridge is just has a whole different personality and doesn't feel like Memorial at all. We looked at houses in Memorial Thicket and Fleetwood but I thought it was crowded and a little bit of a land-locked feeling. As some other poster said, the traffic and congestion is horrible west of ELdridge.

Archived