Memorial Real Estate

Guest danax

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Wilchester one is on the corner of Memorial and Yorchester. Fault line problems. There must be a whole lot of other problems, with it even with the location, because it wouldn't have sat this long. They even tried to auction it if off in the middle of Yorchester on the corner there (big brew-hah-ha, cops call etc), and I guess it didn't sell

The switch to Taylor and MPJH occurred in 1996. I was in 6th grade at the time and attending Mayde Creek, the switch happened, and we were rezoned to Memorial Parkway (MPJH) and Taylor HS.

I still believe that we should be attending Stratford since it is so much closer. There is that huge lot next to Wolfe that they should just build a mix use junior high/high school. It probably wouldnt be 5A but that would be the only hiccup. There is support nowadays for the number of children since more of the older generation is moving out of neighborhoods. It looks as though if the trend continues the area will surpass what it is now.

Also I was told that the brick walls along Memorial that house both Fleetwood neighborhoods will be replaced with new ones. This is kind of like how the walls on Memorial housing the Wilchester neighborhoods were replaced.

The only thing I hope for is that Fleetwood neighborhoods finally raise their neighborhood dues. The area cannot support $4-500 a year. In BL we were paying $925 and I think now it is even higher. Memorial Thicket pays upwards to $1500.

BL will hopefully be gated too to contend with the added traffic from the BP expansion or will have a guard gate option at the entrances.

That's strange. I guess they phased in the change with two years below me, because I was at MCJH in 1996. Either way, it's all switched over now. I agree that the area should probably go to Stratford, but that will never happen because of the tax dollars at stake. I don't see Katy ISD ever building a JH/HS next to wolfe because they don't own all of that land. They own the fenced in area, which is large, but not large enough for a high school. The area outside the fence is actually a park which is not owned by KISD. The population of the area is not increasing enough to put a neighborhood there. If they did, it would be mostly populated by those apartments north of I-10 and Bear Creek, which both currently feed into MCHS.

Fleetwood II's wall (south side) was hit by two cars and the city said the whole thing had to be replaced instead of just fixing the part that fell down. They are currently in the process of replacing it and should be done within the month. I don't know what Fleetwood pays for HOA, but Fleetwood West pays $300. Although one of the major reasons Fleetwood probably doesn't have as high a HOA fee is that BL has a swimming pool and tennis courts to maintain.

As for as becoming gated, I just don't see how it would work. BL has those two commercial properties that are partially within the neighborhood, I don't see how you would go about gating the back entrances without gating in those buildings. They could go with something like Memorial Thicket has with the guy in front that waives to everyone, but I'm not sure how that is any better than what Fleetwood and BL have now with the guy that drives around all the time. If BL somehow does go gated, I would suspect Fleetwood would do the same.

That's strange. I guess they phased in the change with two years below me, because I was at MCJH in 1996. Either way, it's all switched over now. I agree that the area should probably go to Stratford, but that will never happen because of the tax dollars at stake. I don't see Katy ISD ever building a JH/HS next to wolfe because they don't own all of that land. They own the fenced in area, which is large, but not large enough for a high school. The area outside the fence is actually a park which is not owned by KISD. The population of the area is not increasing enough to put a neighborhood there. If they did, it would be mostly populated by those apartments north of I-10 and Bear Creek, which both currently feed into MCHS.

Fleetwood II's wall (south side) was hit by two cars and the city said the whole thing had to be replaced instead of just fixing the part that fell down. They are currently in the process of replacing it and should be done within the month. I don't know what Fleetwood pays for HOA, but Fleetwood West pays $300. Although one of the major reasons Fleetwood probably doesn't have as high a HOA fee is that BL has a swimming pool and tennis courts to maintain.

As for as becoming gated, I just don't see how it would work. BL has those two commercial properties that are partially within the neighborhood, I don't see how you would go about gating the back entrances without gating in those buildings. They could go with something like Memorial Thicket has with the guy in front that waives to everyone, but I'm not sure how that is any better than what Fleetwood and BL have now with the guy that drives around all the time. If BL somehow does go gated, I would suspect Fleetwood would do the same.

Katy ISD owns the entire area up to the ditch on Grisby (where the power lines/Grisby Grill). They own all the frontage on Hwy 6 as well. I was eluding to a joint JH/HS option but like I said it would likely not happen because the school would not be 5A.

I understand BL cant be gated because of the office buildings in back of the neighborhood. What I would propose would be a guard gate option at all the entrances. Something kind of like how you have to swipe a card for the arm to open. In this instance the people working in those buildings can get in and out while those that cut through BL cannot. Along with this a manned gate at the front with the same types of arms or whatever would work well.

We cant gate in the area because it would be too expensive to buy back the streets from the city. BL and Fleetwood are too large of neighborhoods.

It just depends on what neighborhood wants. I think there are options but the best bet to contend with drivers racing through the neighborhood after work would be road humps placed along the main corridors. It is the most economical plan.

Here are the records:

http://www.hcad.org/records/details.asp?ta...t=0410360010280

http://www.hcad.org/records/details.asp?ta...t=0222050320007

Katy ISD owns the entire area up to the ditch on Grisby (where the power lines/Grisby Grill). They own all the frontage on Hwy 6 as well. I was eluding to a joint JH/HS option but like I said it would likely not happen because the school would not be 5A.

Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea that Katy ISD owns all of that land. I guess they only fence off the area they think they need to use for the Elementary and leave the rest open as park space.

Personally, I hope the city does something about Addicks Howell and the people who think it's a good idea to try to cross Memorial on it. They end up bogging everything down and it's really not safe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So a house I was going to buy in Spring fell through. I've expanded my search again and thought it would be cool to live in a little closer. Inside the loop was considered but maybe even better is where it's close enough to where my wife works (towards Katy) and to where I do (Greenspoint).

So I was looking at maybe Memorial (but so expensive!) or north of I-10, like Spring Valley (a little less so). I really like the schools and the location. But do you think they are overpriced now or is it going to continue up as gentrification pushes northward etc. I do have concerns that just a little north of Spring Valley (north of Longpoint etc) it's a totally different scene.

Also, can anyone tell me why the houses immediately south of Town & Country (east of Beltway, west of Gessner, north of Briar Forest) is considerably cheaper? It's still considered Memorial and goes to nearly the same schools, no?

I honestly don't know about prices of the part of West Houston but I would say the prices on the east side of the BW would be higher. You might want to look into the Ashford areas which are basically between Briar Forest and Westheimer to the north and the south and Eldridge/Diary Ashford and Kirkwood to the west and east. I went to high school in that area (Westside Hiogh School in HISD) and had many friends that lived in the Ashford neighborhoods. Older homes in established neighborhoods with big mature trees. Not sure about the price, but I would say in the mid to high 200K.

Memorial is indeed more expensive than the surrounding areas. I would look into the area south of I10 between hwy 6 and bw 8, stopping before Alief. It definitely doesn't have some master planned community feel to it, so if you are looking for that kind of feel then look somewhere else.

I'm sorry that your home fell through in Spring. Your right about Spring Valley it has become the "Memorial to the North", prices there have gone up dramatically the last 5 years. Those of us in the business believe that Spring Valley has and will continue to be a popular option for buyers. I see continued gentrification of the area. It's convenience to town will keep land values high. There are also plenty of private schools in the area that continue to attract families. As you head north make sure to check out schools and know where school boundaries start and end. It is also a good idea to check out recent sales before making your purchase.

The area south of Town and Country inside the beltway is a little less expensive than Memorial and yes it is considered part of Memorial. As you get closer to the beltway, prices do go down. The lot sizes can also be smaller than a typical Memorial lot. The schools are the same, Spring Branch school district. They change to HISD when you get outside he beltway in Briargrove park. Check the maps. It is a good area. Check out this listing I ran across when looking at this area. Nice Mid century modern, perhaps a little too close to the beltway, but an interesting listing none the less. http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Michael

Thanks for the reply. I agree that the area should see continue growth and appreciation. I'm hoping to take advantage of this slight downturn to find something cheap. However, I don't think too many people living in this area are affected so the prices are still pretty high.

I'm trying to find either a place in Memorial east of Gessner or a place in Spring Valley south of Westview. I really like the large lots in Memorial but the housing prices do reflect that. Plus I'm having a hard time convincing my wife on the ranch-style houses that are prevalent in Memorial. She prefers the newer styles that you find in SV.

I'm going to be patient and keep on looking. I don't think we've hit a bottom yet so I'll see if a good deal comes along.

Thanks again.

I think that the spring will be the tell if we are headed for lower prices. Houston typically sees its most activity in the Spring with more closings happening in May and June than at any other time in the year. But, your right on that prices have not gone down. The total number of sales is down but still very strong. I've noticed a reduction in the total inventory which tells me that homes that are not selling are being taken off the market. We'll wait and see. Good Luck

I agree with the assessments made in this thread, and think that Yonkers raises all of the right issues in considering buying a place in the Spring Valley area. I bought my place in this area a bit over 5 years ago, and chose it over a similar place that I was considering in the West U area. One of the reasons that I did so was that I saw the potential for greater appreciations since the West U area was already further along in the gentrification process. I was also surprised at how few people really new SV at that time, but this has obviously changed. I am constantly astounded by the amount of redevelopment occurring in the area, and as my work often takes me away for months at a time, I can really notice the changes.

Since purchasing my place I've continued to follow price trends, and 50's era ranches tend to go for $300,000 to $450,000, with newer construction priced between 800, 000 to 1.5 million (when I first moved here there were only a handful of places priced at 1 mil or more, but recently there was place on the market for over 2 mil!). In addition to Spring Valley and Hilshire Village themselves, a good many of the adjacent areas have a good amount of redevelopment - Brykerwoods, Monarch Oaks, Glenmore Forest and Campbell Place in particular. And as was noted, some of these areas are now more expensive than some of the more western areas south of I-10. This is now pushing development further north and west, and there are even major projects being developed north of Long Point (again, as Yonkers noted, this area tends to be quite different from that south of Long Point).

Most of this area is zoned to Memorial High and Spring Branch Middle School (exactly the same as the other side of the freeway; for the small portion not zoned to SBMS, Cornerstone Academy is a popular alternative) and Valley Oaks Elementary, which is quite popular with parents (there are also quite a numbe rof good private schools in the area - Awty, Regents, Duschene, etc.). I've enjoyed living in the area, and it's quite convenient. Though some claim that acitivtiy might have slowed a bit recently, I'm of the opinion that the prospects for continued redevelopment in the area are very good. I've posted a few times on this topic, so do see some of my earlier posts.

Gessner has high congestion, that's one of the main reasons it's cheaper over there. And, most of those homes are no longer "in The Villages." When returning to Houston, my husband refused to look anywhere near Gessner, which is often a shared sentiment.

Have you looked west of the Beltway along Memorial? Like Rustling Pines, Wilchester and Gaywood.

They still have the excellent SBISD schools, but often have bigger homes and lots than those around Gessner. Very few ranches. The area is a bit of the bastard child of Memorial, but it's not "the other side of the tracks" like Spring Valley.

My subdivision has 1/2 acre to full acre lots with mostly two story homes. Appreciation is steady and holding.

I went to a couple of open houses today. One was in Spring Valley on Pine Chase. It was a corner lot that sits right on Westview (north side). From what I understand that's the wrong side of Westview (if there is such a thing) to be in the Spring Valley area. Plus sitting right on Westview I could hear all the traffic. It was a new construction and looked nice however.

The other house was in Hedwig Village. About the same price but this one was a 1950s ranch... and it showed. Of course the location was a lot better. But I don't think I could convince my wife to spend this much money on a older house not even in a style she likes. It's beginning to look like my search for a Memorial house will be futile.

I'm going to focus more on Spring Valley and 'Memorial-lite' :) west of I-10. Otherwise I might have to just go back to the exurbs of Woodlands, Cypress, Katy.

Yonkers, I know exactly the house that you visited, as I live just a few streets down form it towards Bingle at the corner of Westview and Moritz - also on the "wrong side" of Westview :) There really is no wrong side of Westview, other than the fact that on the northern side of the street between Wirt and Spring Branch Creek the houses are zoned to Landrum Middle School rather than Spring Branch Middle School which people prefer (but as I mentioned in my earlier there are alternatives and the other schools are the same - Memorial High and Valley Oaks Elementary down the street). Pine chase is one of the streets that's really getting a lot of redevelopment. Let me know if you have any questions about the neighborhood!

I went to a couple of open houses today. One was in Spring Valley on Pine Chase. It was a corner lot that sits right on Westview (north side). From what I understand that's the wrong side of Westview (if there is such a thing) to be in the Spring Valley area. Plus sitting right on Westview I could hear all the traffic. It was a new construction and looked nice however.

The other house was in Hedwig Village. About the same price but this one was a 1950s ranch... and it showed. Of course the location was a lot better. But I don't think I could convince my wife to spend this much money on a older house not even in a style she likes. It's beginning to look like my search for a Memorial house will be futile.

I'm going to focus more on Spring Valley and 'Memorial-lite' :) west of I-10. Otherwise I might have to just go back to the exurbs of Woodlands, Cypress, Katy.

Oh jeez Yonkers don't go back there. Western Memorial is hands down far better than The Woodlands. You can't beat the neighborhoods, schools and location.

Yonkers, I know exactly the house that you visited, as I live just a few streets down form it towards Bingle at the corner of Westview and Moritz - also on the "wrong side" of Westview :) There really is no wrong side of Westview, other than the fact that on the northern side of the street between Wirt and Spring Branch Creek the houses are zoned to Landrum Middle School rather than Spring Branch Middle School which people prefer (but as I mentioned in my earlier there are alternatives and the other schools are the same - Memorial High and Valley Oaks Elementary down the street). Pine chase is one of the streets that's really getting a lot of redevelopment. Let me know if you have any questions about the neighborhood!

Wow, that is close. Questions I do have re: the neighborhood.

1. The lot for this house is listed as 8800 or so. Is that typical? It seems like lots in Memorial Villages are much larger than they are north of I-10 in Spring Valley/Hillshire.

2. This house is right on Westview. I don't know enough about this area but it seems like it's a busy street - not like Bingle or something but still well used. I could definitely hear cars. Then again I live near the Beltway now and have gotten used to it. What are your thoughts?

3. Just did a quick search. Looks like this lot was bought back in May of 07 for $200-250k. Not sure if this is typical of lot values in the area. Debated about buying and building a house myself.

4. Anything else you can tell me about the area?

Thanks.

Wow, that is close. Questions I do have re: the neighborhood.

1. The lot for this house is listed as 8800 or so. Is that typical? It seems like lots in Memorial Villages are much larger than they are north of I-10 in Spring Valley/Hillshire.

Most of the lots in that area are at least 10,000 square ft or so, so that lot is typical but a bit on the smaller side. The first few streets over from Wirt (Glenmore Forest, Glourie and Pine Chase) are the older part of the development from the early 50s and the lots are a bit smaller. As you move West towards Bingle the lots (and houses) tend to get bigger - around 15,000 sq ft, and this tends to be construction from the late 50's and 60's. But your right that lot sizes south of 1-10 tend to be larger than north of it and it it;s one of the reasons that it's more expensive. In Piney Point there is a minimum lot size of 40,000 sq ft, in Hunters Creek 22,500, Bunker Hill 10,000 to 20,000, Hedwig 15,000 to 21,000, Hilshire 12,000 and Spring Valley 10,000 (there are some exceptions in all of these villages). The house you visited is in Glenmore Forest/Monarch Oaks directly across from Hilshire Village. I remember the house that ws there previously and I believe that it was sold for basically lot value. 250k would have been a typical price in Spring 2007 while now the typical price for similar properties would be in the 300-350k range.

2. This house is right on Westview. I don't know enough about this area but it seems like it's a busy street - not like Bingle or something but still well used. I could definitely hear cars. Then again I live near the Beltway now and have gotten used to it. What are your thoughts?

Westview isn't really that busy or congested of a street, and should not be too much of a concern (especially for someone who lives near the Beltway!). Not surprisingly, it's most active 6-9am in the morning and 5-7pm in the evenings. The location near Valley Oaks Elem School is well patrolled by SVPD, HPD, and SBISD police, tending to keep traffic speed fairly low.

3. Just did a quick search. Looks like this lot was bought back in May of 07 for $200-250k. Not sure if this is typical of lot values in the area. Debated about buying and building a house myself.

I remember the house that was there previously and I believe that it was sold for basically lot value. 250k would have been a typical price in Spring 2007 while now the typical price for similar properties would be in the 300-350k range. There are a good number of houses in that neighborhood currently under construction, as well as a few lots and houses being sold for essentially lot value. So I would recommend that you drive around and have good look.

4. Anything else you can tell me about the area?

I'm generally satisfied living in the area as most amenities - shopping, schools, churches, etc. are readily at hand. And the recent completion of I-10 construction has greatly improved access to downtown (being closer in is probably one advantage to living further west). It is a bit unusual living in an area undergoing such a fundamental redevelopment, and some of the older residents in the area think there was more community cohesiveness before the current gentrification.

Overall, I think that the Spring Valley area and the Memorial area near the Beltway are fairly similar - fairly close-in wooded areas originally developed in the 50s/60s in Spring Branch ISD undergoing a good deal of redevelopment Prices in both areas are similar. In any case, either would be preferable to a return to exuburbia! Hope this helps.

G

Wow. Great information! Thanks a lot. I accidentally went to an Open House in Piney Point today (accidental because I wrote down address and it turned out to be some $1.8 mil house... lol) and the agent mentioned something about it being grandfathered in. The house was on a 8800 sq ft lot. I didn't quite understand what she meant but now that you mention the minimum lot size that makes sense.

What about this lot near where you live? It's not too expensive and a decent size. Is it because it's close to Long Point?

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

And that's good to hear about Westview. I wasn't too concerned about the noise but it definitely wasn't a positive. And with that much patrol around the area, I assume crime is not too bad.

Thanks again for the information. Definitely helps.

You're correct that in all of the Villages those lots that were created before the establishment of specific lots sizes have been "grandfathered" in, resulting in some non-conforming smaller lots. There are are also some newer lots that have been granted exceptions from these requirements for particular reasons. For example, the City of Spring Valley lost nearly a quarter of its tax base to I-10 expansion, including about 60 homes. In order to make up for this short fall the city granted variances from the lot size requirement in order to allow for the creation of two patio home developments to make up for this shortfall. There is also a patio home type development in Hunters Creek and apartments in Hedwig that obviously don't meet the lot size requirements.

You've also discovered a lot one of the least expensive lots in an area zoned to Memorial High! I had a post about this a few months back. I had long noticed that the there was less new development, and thus lower prices for houses on Ronson, Bayram, and Panatella streets than on other similar streets in the area. I came to the conclusion that the only reason for this was that those streets are accessible only via Long Point with no outlet on to Westview, which is more attractive and thus preferred. Some redevelopment has now begun to creep on to those streets as well, but they remain much less expensive (approx, 200k rather than 300k for 50s ranches) than nearby areas. Of course, this means that you'll have more opportunity for appreciation, but also a bit more risk as you'll be among the first in redeveloping those streets (that lot you linked is located next door to one of the newer houses on the street).

In the 5 years that I've lived in the area, I've heard little about significant crime. The area area is located where the cities of Houston, Spring Valley, and Hilshire Village come together, as well as being located near a school and a county-owned park, you get lots of police patrols from SVPD, HPD, SBISD police, and the County Sherriff. I've found this to be one of the advantages of living in the area.

G

Wow. Great information! Thanks a lot. I accidentally went to an Open House in Piney Point today (accidental because I wrote down address and it turned out to be some $1.8 mil house... lol) and the agent mentioned something about it being grandfathered in. The house was on a 8800 sq ft lot. I didn't quite understand what she meant but now that you mention the minimum lot size that makes sense.

What about this lot near where you live? It's not too expensive and a decent size. Is it because it's close to Long Point?

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

And that's good to hear about Westview. I wasn't too concerned about the noise but it definitely wasn't a positive. And with that much patrol around the area, I assume crime is not too bad.

Thanks again for the information. Definitely helps.

In order to make up for this short fall the city granted variances from the lot size requirement in order to allow for the creation of two patio home developments to make up for this shortfall. There is also a patio home type development in Hunters Creek and apartments in Hedwig that obviously don't meet the lot size requirements.

Ah ok. So that's where the Creekside Villas came from. And yeah, I know a lot of the businesses along the frontage road were just wiped out.

I had long noticed that the there was less new development, and thus lower prices for houses on Ronson, Bayram, and Panatella streets than on other similar streets in the area. I came to the conclusion that the only reason for this was that those streets are accessible only via Long Point with no outlet on to Westview, which is more attractive and thus preferred.

Ah, yes. I had looked it up on Google Maps before but didn't notice it didn't run all the way through to Westview. I guess that could cut down on through traffic but I can definitely see how it would be inconvenient too.

Also, any idea on what type of construction costs for these quality of new houses getting put up? The one on Pine Chase for example, assume they bought it on the low end of $200k for the lot. They're listing it for $829k. At 3860 sq ft, that would make the house currently cost $163/sq ft. Assuming a good profit margin in there and it looks like maybe the building costs are $130-140/sq ft? That's just a pull-it-out-of-my-bum guess, however, so I really have no idea.

Thanks again.

Ah ok. So that's where the Creekside Villas came from. And yeah, I know a lot of the businesses along the frontage road were just wiped out.

Absolutely right my friend! The other patio home development is Windsor Court at the corner of Westview and Campbell and across from old Spring Branch High.

Also, any idea on what type of construction costs for these quality of new houses getting put up? The one on Pine Chase for example, assume they bought it on the low end of $200k for the lot. They're listing it for $829k. At 3860 sq ft, that would make the house currently cost $163/sq ft. Assuming a good profit margin in there and it looks like maybe the building costs are $130-140/sq ft? That's just a pull-it-out-of-my-bum guess, however, so I really have no idea.

Of course quality varies, but I've heard few overall complaints from my neighbors (my own place is newer construction, built around 2001, and I've had now no major problems). As for price, the huse you looked at seems to fit well with what newer homes are going for in terms of price per square foot and overall. The price for newer homes on those streets is currently running between 917k to 750k, so 829k appears to be at the sweet spot.

G

If you are interested in appreciation, buy as much dirt "in the Memorial villages" that you can afford. Lot size will mean much more at a resale, and and fact you do NOT live in Houston is a strong selling point. I have steadily seen the Massive rebuilds move north thru-out Piney Point into Hedwig, and now has jumped I-10 (especially into Campbell Place).

I bought in Hedwig in 2001 with one priority...get as much dirt as I could afford. I bought a 3/4 acre lot and then "over-remodeled" a 1950's ranch. The location is excellent - end of a private road and a creek runs along the back and south side of my property (no flooding.

My "Dirt" is now worth 3 times what I paid for it. Unfortunately, my "over-remodeled" house will probably be leveled by whoever buys the land.

Another secret... When buying an investment in a gentrifying area (actually Memorial never significantly declined), buy on a street with the smaller homes/large lots. These will be the first to be attacked by the developers.

When I moved into my home, my street was appraised 20-30% less than the surrounding streets because of the older, smaller homes. Now I am surrounded by new 6-8 thousand foot houses that sold for 2+ million. The surrounding streets had very nice homes that made the lots too expensive for the builders.

Great advice, HedwigTramp. I so want to do that. Unfortunately my wife is focused on the house itself above the investment/appreciation. I know you guys can't help me there, but I do appreciate the advice.

I was hoping for a 50s ranch (mainly because that's all there is) that is already partially updated on the inside and that is on 20k sq ft lot. But my wife poo poo'd the ranch style housing, which leaves me with nothing else in Memorial to choose from. So I'm forced to go across I-10 but the lots there are all smaller. So I'm thinking of just buying a lot there and then building a house on top. It won't be as much of an investment but at least the wife will be happy with the house. Cause if momma ain't happy...

Great advice, HedwigTramp. I so want to do that. Unfortunately my wife is focused on the house itself above the investment/appreciation. I know you guys can't help me there, but I do appreciate the advice.

I was hoping for a 50s ranch (mainly because that's all there is) that is already partially updated on the inside and that is on 20k sq ft lot. But my wife poo poo'd the ranch style housing, which leaves me with nothing else in Memorial to choose from. So I'm forced to go across I-10 but the lots there are all smaller. So I'm thinking of just buying a lot there and then building a house on top. It won't be as much of an investment but at least the wife will be happy with the house. Cause if momma ain't happy...

Well, we wanted the bigger Memorial lot near the bayou as well. But coming back in, in 2007, it wasn't happening for under a million with a liveable house. I agree, the bigger the lot the better the return. That's why we went west into West Memorial. We ended up with 1/2 an acre in a subdivision named Yorkshire, next to Wilchester. A two story Georgian with 4000 sf. and a 3 car garage. It was more than liveable, but we gutted it anyway. So what if it's Stratford instead of Memorial HS. They are pretty much the same, both with social issues unique to themselves.

However, in the year we have bought, our purchase price has become tear down value in here. So we did ok. Not as well as we did in Tanglewood or as well as HedwigTramp has done, but I think triple appreciation value days are gone for a while.

PS- What's up with this house on LEgend Ln in 77024. I know the street's a little funky, but that's a darn good price for 1/2 and acre. http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

PS- What's up with this house on Legend Ln in 77024. I know the street's a little funky, but that's a darn good price for 1/2 and acre. http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

At $585K it is almost twice the appraised (HCAD) value. My concern is the large 10 acre commercial parcel off Memorial that has been for sale (for years) within a stone's throw (two lots). Since it is in Houston (vs the villages) there is no zoning, so who knows who your new neighbors would be.

And based on the pics, this house does not seem to qualify as a teardown (as advertised) unless there are serious structual problems or mold.

PS- What's up with this house on Legend Ln in 77024. I know the street's a little funky, but that's a darn good price for 1/2 and acre. http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

At $585K it is almost twice the appraised (HCAD) value. My concern is the large 10 acre commercial parcel off Memorial that has been for sale (for years) within a stone's throw (two lots). Since it is in Houston (vs the villages) there is no zoning, so who knows who your new neighbors would be.

And based on the pics, this house does not seem to qualify as a teardown (as advertised) unless there are serious structual problems or mold.

Is it for sale? I know Methodist Hospital owns it, but wasn't aware it's for sale.

I thought I remembered that lot having some of those permanent "For sale or lease" signs posted. I may be mistaken, and if so I appreciate the correction.

I drive by there about 4 times a day and there hasn't been sign for a while. I think there was one maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

Archived