Pineview Place

Guest danax

Corrections: 1) METRO is not planning a rail line down Harrisburg. It will be Bus Rapid Transit. 2) Harrisburg is not presently congested with traffic; however, one of the community's concerns is that Harrisburg will become congested when the BRT reduces the number of lanes. 3) Parking is not a problem unless you work downtown or in the TMC; this is Houston. 4) I've driven at least 80k miles in Houston and have never been party to or seen road rage. 5) Gas usually doesn't cost $3.00 per gallon. 6) The BRT will terminate at the Magnolia TC; most or all of Pineview Place is not within 1/4 mile of the transit center, so most people are unlikely to walk in the first place.

1) I misinterpreted "Rapid Transit Line" as referring to light rail. Sorry, I'm an idiot.

2) & 3)Note that i said "take the light rail into downtown", where there is both traffic congestion and parking problems.

4) There are instances of Road Rage in Houston. Just because you haven't experienced Road Rage, does not mean that it doesn't exist.

5) Gas is $3 at many Houston-area stations already.

6) Given my ignorance about the whole light rail issue on Harrisburg, it's easy to see how I missed this one too!

Ok, so I guess I've destroyed some of my credibility. It would still be neat to live in a properly restored Pineview Place and have light rail access to downtown, though! ^_^

It would still be neat to live in a properly restored Pineview Place and have light rail access to downtown, though! ^_^

i still like their brick entrance to the neighborhood. while not fancy or anything, it really does add something special. would be interesting to see some old pics of the area.

I guess I did exaggerate a bit much on the area around Pineview, but I can assure you that it has been a focal point for drug distribution and Illegal alien smuggling to name a few, for decades. Yes, it would be a miracle if one day that area had professionals living there but it wont be in our life time.

See the topic of "Urban Corridor meeting" and that tells all about this area, hurdles etc.

I wont add to this thread any more as thats another part of Houston well I'll leave it....hate it.

• 9 months later...
The guy from Brinks alarm that sold me my system grew up in Pineview Place 50+ years ago. He was telling me what a nice place it was when he was a kid. His parents looked at homes in Pineview and Idylwood. Back then they were the same price. His grandmother lived with them and wanted the better bus access at Pineview so that is why they bought there.

What a small world. The guy from Brinks is my older cousin, and my grandmother never drove a day in her life, she always took the bus. I remember going with her to First Baptist Church downtown on the bus she would always let me pull the line to to stop the bus with a ding. between the air conditioning blowing up on the windows, where I had my face planted watching everything and the smell from the diesel engines it was hard to stay awake. It really was a great place to grow up.

• 2 months later...
i still like their brick entrance to the neighborhood. while not fancy or anything, it really does add something special. would be interesting to see some old pics of the area.

I'm bringing up these topics again, because I'm late joining in, Musicman the brick columns you mention used to catch my eye too, when I was young, many a time we went down Harrisburg to my great-grandmother's bungalow on Ave. E. (my great-grandfather built it). Will have to check that 'hood out again. I love the front porches on the bungalows. Is that the one that is long & skinny, used to be next to a RR track?

Never mind, just saw Danax' pic's in post#1. Those are the ones I remember.

I always was kinda sad that the East End went rather unnoticed, but thought that at least in it's sleepy state, it was being preserved. (Not run over with new, thoughtless, make a quick buck - construction). Some new is good, but hope it doesn't lose too much originality.

• 3 years later...

196Glendale.jpgGlendale6.jpg

Look what's sitting at the end of Glendale St. in Pineview Place. @196 Glendale.

My brother took these for us, he's an engineer, has a different viewpoint than we do.

He said it was spooky-looking. Reminds me of the one in Forest Hill, and ones in Meadowbrook.

Thanks Brett!

Notice the stairs leading down, outside, it slopes.

196Glendale2.jpg

Look at the detail in that window. wow.

When I was little, we would pass this neighborhood going to my great-grandmother's house. The entrance gates are still there, on Harrisburg Blvd.

PineviewPlaceSign.jpgPineviewPlace2.jpg

PineviewPlace3.jpg

Pic 1 (left pic) - Left gate entrance pillar

Pic 2 (rt pic) - Right gate entrance pillar

Pic 3 (bottom) - Both pillars at very wide entrance to Pineview Place on Harrisburg Blvd.

Taken w/ GoogleEarth

Looking at the "Houston Freeways" chapter about the canceled Harrisburg Freeway, it would be a fair assumption that this neighborhood would have been partially or completely obliterated by that roadway had it been built. Thank god east end residents fought against it ,,,,,,,,, and won!

Looking at the "Houston Freeways" chapter about the canceled Harrisburg Freeway, it would be a fair assumption that this neighborhood would have been partially or completely obliterated by that roadway had it been built. Thank god east end residents fought against it ,,,,,,,,, and won!

Yeah, and so much history along with it. Was the only Houston freeway battle fought and won to stop construction of a freeway.

Harrisburg itself has so much history, it's ironic that Houston's lack of attention has been what's preserved it, somewhat, IMO.

Archived