Recommendation For Structural Engineers

Cherry Demolition?

Just kidding.......try Church Services (Todd Church). They aren't an engineer (you don't really need one since you want to replace in kind). They will do a good job releveling and repairing, very reputable in my experience and we've used them on a number of remodels.

Same old story: old house where the cat toys all roll to the same corner, termite damage of sill beams, other rotten supports, etc., etc.

any reputable people you'd recommend? Thanks...

Try John Pfister 281-480-6684.

He did a good job on my house and was reasonably priced.

I have used Pfister on three different pier & beam houses. He is a prince of a man. (His son, too)

I cannot recommend him highly enough (He has told me I don't need any work more than once. And when he does the work it is always at a fair price)

Guest danax

Has anyone gone with the deep piers to keep the house from "ever" moving again? Everyone I know who's had their house leveled ends up having it start to flex before too many years.

I have thought that those cement cylinders that are hydraulically rammed into the ground until they stop, usually to repair slab foundations, would work for pier and beam too. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on drywall and wallpaper and end up having it crack and tear.

Has anyone gone with the deep piers to keep the house from "ever" moving again? Everyone I know who's had their house leveled ends up having it start to flex before too many years.

I have thought that those cement cylinders that are hydraulically rammed into the ground until they stop, usually to repair slab foundations, would work for pier and beam too. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on drywall and wallpaper and end up having it crack and tear.

I don't think you can use deep piers after the structure is already built. It is also more expensive.

I don't think you can use deep piers after the structure is already built. It is also more expensive.

You can pour bell piers around the perimeter of the house by just drilling them at an angle such that the bottom of the pier is closer to the center of the house. You could probably do the same thing under the house, but it would be very time consuming and expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Can anyone give a rough estimate of how much it typically costs to replace a couple of piers?

We just bought our house and it hadn't been leveled in about 60 years. We had to repair/replace 18 piers and it was under $1k.

And to the guy who wants to do the 'Super' piers...don't waste your money...If drywall cracks it costs a whole $10 to fix it yourself and about 30 minutes as long as you can find paint that matches.

AJ

Cost of replacement will depend on a number of factors including accessability, depth, width, etc.

For an engineering firm, I'm not sure if you really need one unless you just want to be safe, but C.I.V.E. is a good one. I use them regularly and they always do great work. Speak to Steve, Chadi or Hachem...2818708727.

• 2 weeks later...
Just kidding.......try Church Services (Todd Church). They aren't an engineer (you don't really need one since you want to replace in kind). They will do a good job releveling and repairing, very reputable in my experience and we've used them on a number of remodels.

I had made an appt. with Church Services to get an estimate yesterday, but they evidently only do slab foundations.

Try John Pfister 281-480-6684.

He did a good job on my house and was reasonably priced.

Pfister charges $75 for an inspection/estimate, so I'm a bit hesitant. Did you or anybody else get competitive bids? Can you give me an idea just how "reasonably priced" he was?

I had made an appt. with Church Services to get an estimate yesterday, but they evidently only do slab foundations.

Pfister charges $75 for an inspection/estimate, so I'm a bit hesitant. Did you or anybody else get competitive bids? Can you give me an idea just how "reasonably priced" he was?

niche, a neighbor and I both used john pfister because a friend from 6th ward recommended him. subsequently my neighbor's brother in law (who's a contractor) recommended another guy. he did work on the same neighbors rent house. she paid 3500 but the work done was HUGE. lifted the house 18" plus replaced lots of rotten beams. while john was within the realm of reasonable, this guy we both felt you got more for your money. PM me and i'll get the number. he does lots of things but house lifting/leveling is his speciality

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if John Pfister is still around? I've called him several times since Thanksgiving, but to no avail. Chalked up his no reply to the holidays and being busy. So I tried again a couple of weeks ago and have not gotten a return call yet either. Would like to have him come check things out and give us an estimate but just can't seem to reach him.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if John Pfister is still around? I've called him several times since Thanksgiving, but to no avail. Chalked up his no reply to the holidays and being busy. So I tried again a couple of weeks ago and have not gotten a return call yet either. Would like to have him come check things out and give us an estimate but just can't seem to reach him.

Thanks!

he's definitely around i saw him and his son eating lunch about 1 month ago. he's always busy.

I recommend All Texas Foundation. Bill Marks is the owner. They did a great job for me. They are also listed with the BBB. He did everything he said he was going to do. Did not try to sell any extra work that did not need to be done.

Yeah, I had Pfister and others give me quotes, but they were all high. Bill Marks came out, told me up front what did and didn't need to be done, gave me a good price, and even explained to me how to repair the slab in my addition without professional assistance. The job got done for only a little bit more of half of what I'd budgeted. For value and character, he's tops.

• 1 year later...
niche, a neighbor and I both used john pfister because a friend from 6th ward recommended him. subsequently my neighbor's brother in law (who's a contractor) recommended another guy. he did work on the same neighbors rent house. she paid 3500 but the work done was HUGE. lifted the house 18" plus replaced lots of rotten beams. while john was within the realm of reasonable, this guy we both felt you got more for your money. PM me and i'll get the number. he does lots of things but house lifting/leveling is his speciality

I just bought a bungalow in the east end and I also am looking for someone to work on the foundation -- would it be possible to get the info for the person you mention above? Also, I have been trying to reach Pfister for weeks -- any secret ways to get him to call you back? Thanks a ton!

• 1 month later...
he's definitely around i saw him and his son eating lunch about 1 month ago. he's always busy.

Just a reply to an old post here, we used All-Tex Foundation, Bill Marks, and he did a great job. We needed only two piers to stabilize the wall and afterward they started the job they realized it took four. He charged us $500.00 total for the four piers, which was a result of his original bid because $500.00 is his minimum (he says it pays for the big truck and 5 workers who come out - that's a big crew indeed).

Doing business the old fashioned way instead of giving a low bid and then increasing it later after he has the job. Two thumbs up!!

• The title was changed to Recommendation For Structural Engineers