Battelstein's Department Store At 812 Main St.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2010 at 0:24 PM, PBAYS said:

Mr. Phillip Battlestein immigrated to the US from Russia in 1884 when he was 15 years old. He was a Russian Jew. Phillip was a tailor.

The family settled in Missouri. His wife's name was Annie. They had two daughters, Maly and Toby that were born in Missouri. Prior to 1899, they relocated to Houston. In 1899 their son, Abe Battlestein was born. Abe Battlestein is the child that operated the "Battlestein's " store in Houston along with his brothers, Harry and Bennie.

Mr. Phillip Battlestein was an enderly, portly gentleman in 1939 when I was about 4 years old and would go shopping with my mother at Battlesteins. He would stand at the front door with a pocket full of dimes and hand them out to the children who came shopping with their parents. As you walked into the front door there was the cosmetics department. To the left on the main level were men's shirts, hats and shoes. To the right, I believe were the women's shoes. The upper floors were for ladies and children's fashions.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

Locations were as follows:

Downtown 812 Main

River Oaks 2010 S. Shepherd

Sharpstown 111 Sharpstown Center

Almeda 240 Almeda Mall

Northwest 240 Northwest Mall

Memorial City 730 Memorial City

Greenspoint 347 Greenspoint

It's from an older directory. I forgot to take a picture of the cover so I don't have a date for this list. From the design of the ad it really seems like it's from the 70s. I would upload it but this thread is limited to files 0.19 MB or less.

• 11 months later...

Great nostalgia here.  When I went to work downtown fresh out of college in 1963 I officed in the Niels Esperson building on the 4th floor.  My area of the Esperson building faced the Travis street entrance to Battelsteins otherwise known as their back door  Typical of those days I could raise the windows of the Esperson building but that wasn't necessary in order to hear the 4pm street hawkers of the Houston Chronicle shouting all the latest headlines and selling papers.  

The thing that stood out to me about Battelsteins was the frequent sand bagging of the back doors when our famous Houston downpours occurred and man hole covers in the street were sprouting up out of the pavement on top of gysers of water.

I got my first suit from Battelsteins and it was very good.  In looking at the old pictures I never thought about it but who officed above Battelsteins.  The department store couldn't have filled all floors.

• The title was changed to Battelstein's Department Store At 812 Main St.
  • The title was changed to Battelstein's Department Store At 812 Main St.

Archived