Good places to buy furniture?

tommyboy444

the only peice of furniture i bought new was a cherry bookcase from gallery. it wasn't cheap ($500) but it will last. i plan on buying a cherry desk eventually from there as well. i'll probably look elsewhere for a new dresser/ nightstand and will probably do foleys/ dillards for the couch.

i'm sick of used furniture. <_<

i'm sick of used furniture. <_<

Tell me about it. I will not shed any tears the day my 40+ year old sofa gets hauled off. It's actually in remarkable shape for it's age -- it was a gift from some friends of my parents when they were replacing some of their furniture right after I moved to Houston and was in need of a sofa. They took great care of it and I think it was recovered at some point in its life. My parents have an identical sofa about the same age in their living room. And even though mine doesn't look that bad, it's just not very comfortable.

Ikea Ikea Ikea.

Yeah, Ikea is fine for a starter apartment when you don't have much of a budget and don't care about buying investment pieces that you'll keep the rest of your life. I've got a few things from there, and purchased a couple of bookshelves there earlier this year.

But after I'm settled in a place that I own, I'll be looking for nicer things to go along with it.

I like modern/contemporary. If that is what you like, then check out the Fondren street "contemporary row" between Westpark and Westhiemer. There are like 8 stores that sell lighting alone. And, I would guess, about 10 other stores at least that specialize on contemporary furniture.

Although I like checking out Fondren Street, the stores there always seem a little pricey to me, and I end up buying at Ikea and Eurway. Eurway is outside the beltway, off of the katy freeway, taking the Eldrige exit, then heading south about 3 miles, on the left. I would say Eurway is by far my favorite of all of them.

Of course if you are not looking for contemporary, then there are plenty of stores around the city to choose from. BTW, I always regret walking into Fingers, close to UH. The sales staff are way too pushy in my opinion.

I had a bad experience with a place I can't remember just south of downtown on I-45.. visible from the freeway. The salesperson made lots of promises about price and payment and delivery that turned out not to be true when I got to the billing department. Smartest thing I did that day was walk away.

Fingers maybe? They kind of have a rep that way.

Ikea has some nice things even if you're not in a starter apartment. They're cheap, but they make an effort at design so some of their things look more expensive than they really are.

Don't forget to shop online. Savings on sales taxes often are more than shipping charges, you can probably find things cheaper, and the selection is almost infinite. Almost all of my new furniture was bought online, and it worked out really well.

• 4 weeks later...

Newport Furnishings off 6-10 south has the EXACT same stuff that Crate and Barrel, Ethan Allen, and Pottery Barn have at way cheaper prices. The cut out the middle man. I got my bedroom set there.

Edited by Pumapayam

I broke down and bought some new furniture last year. I had been an avid garage/estate sale shopper.

Aftere a major hunt for the perfect sofa, I ended up at Star and got a great deal on exactly what I was looking for. I paid the same price as Matress Mac's store and the cushions were covered on "BOTH" side.. I was disappointed with Mac when I saw how cheesey his stuff was.

I happened to stop in the Star another day and found the perfect chair in their "scratch and dent" area. Got a GREAT deal on that... $900 chair for $300. (slight wear as it was showroom stuff)

The bedroom furniture I wanted was way out of my price range except at Fingers...where I thought the quality really sucked. So I headed out to the DUMP and ordered a set. Price was not bad and I got exactly the pieces I wanted. But now that I've had it a year, I can tell quality is not the best. Howerever I have bought some rugs and mattresses from them and got great deals.

Next I want a dining room set and will probably hunt Dump again...unless I can find the perfect one in an antique shop or estate sale that matches the huge hutch I have. (hate to get rid of it - but may have to)

Kids furniture came from Ika... you get what you pay for.. :closedeyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everyone! I read this forum daily but this is my first post. I am moving into my own place and need to get some furniture and have no idea where to start. All i know is that Gallery is a ripoff based on past experiences with my parents. So if anyone could suggest some places i could check out. Looking to spend around $1000 for a nice couch. thanks

Say what you will about Mattress Mac, Jim McIngvale, but nobody in this town works harder to please his customers. His prices are on the high side, but he excels in service, and he really does deliver on the same day, seven days a week. Note: the delivery is NOT free. It costs about 80 bucks a load, but it's worth it when you want something RIGHT NOW.

My wife and I recently spent a weekend reclaiming two bedrooms from our children after they moved out. We tossed their old wooden bunk beds and decided to buy three new mattresses, box springs, and cheap metal frames with caster wheels. Just for the hell of it, I called Gallery Furniture at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon. FOUR FREEKING PM ! Our mattresses, box springs and bed frames were delivered and in our house at 8pm. Four hour delivery. On a Saturday. And the delivery men set it all up for us.

Oh yes. While I was ordering all this on the phone, I could hear Mac talking in the background, giving what sounded like a lecture on sales procedures. I asked about that, and I was told that he is there seven days a week, often till late hours, and he personally trains his sales staff. This guy has made untold millions of dollars selling furniture, he's richer than God, and he still runs his company personally. He's making his money the old fashioned way. He earns it.

I've met him several times away from his store, and I can tell you he's a very nice guy, quiet and reserved, completely different from the boisterous loudmouth he plays in his commercials.

Edited by FilioScotia