Greenspoint Redevelopment

cfresident

July 15, 2009

GlennLock’s Sports Bar and Grill by Aaron Glenn, has signed a lease for 5,487 square feet of space at the 15-acre Renaissance at Greenspoint project, which is the first phase of the re-development of Greenspoint Mall by the Triyar Cannon Group. GlennLock’s will be the premier sports bar and grill concept in the $32 million project slated to open in the Spring of 2010.

Located at Interstate 45 at Beltway 8 north in the heart of the Greenspoint business district, the Renaissance, when complete, will feature a 12-screen Premiere Theater adjacent to a focal multi-restaurant plaza that features lush waterscapes, public art, an outdoor stage, pocket park seating areas and pedestrian walkways. The development was given the green-light when the Greenspoint Tax Incremental Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ) agreed to include an additional $8-million to the beautification around the site and surrounding areas.

http://texas.realest...int-ID0256.html

I'm confused. Will the Renaissance at Greenspoint be...

a) An outdoor area adjacent to Greenspoint Mall?

B) A redevelopment of the mall as a whole (hybrid enclosed/outdoor)?

c) A redevelopment of the mall as a whole (requiring demolition of existing mall)?

I'm hoping its not C.

^B. Look at post #1 and #2. Im wondering if the tower is part of this redvelopment.

It is...

Triyar Cannon Group challenged Ziegler Cooper Architects to Master Plan the existing mall site and integrate/locate a new 500,000 GSF office tower and 7 level garage in place of the original Montgomery Ward site which is scheduled to be demolished. After considerable study of the office tower location in relationship to the existing mall entrance, a new 24 screen cinema and a new life style retail center, Ziegler Cooper concluded that the office tower should have its own entrance off of Greenspoint Drive

http://www.zieglercooper.com/projects.asp?indid=51&projid=97

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I think the project is much needed for this area... and it looks great. BUT I feel that they should build it on the west side vs. the east side of the mall because no one can see the new development from the freeway (besides the proposed little landscape project). The reason to build it on the east side is probably for the workers to easily access the mall. What about on weekends? Weekends tend to draw in the most cusumers (consumers = sales) for malls. In my opinion if from the freeway consumers can't see a difference, then it will still look like the same old Greenspoint mall (which equals not worth stopping by). Unless they intend on remodeling the entire mall (look to memorial city mall for successful example - build on side facing freeway)... Which would be GREAT!

Well, they redoing the west side entrance, too, so that should help some. I like it on the west side better to keep it further away from freeway noise, especially with outside restaruants. It will also give it a somewhat more intimate feel.

Maybe they will add to the same concept to the west or other sides in the future?

• 5 months later...

I lived on Gears Rd and Airline in 1972, worked on I45 at McMahon Chevrolet. Later around 77 I was working with a friend who was a framing contractor and we actually built this house which is one of the oldest in that subdivision, there were not many finished if any! in 77 and the entire landscape was denuded with no foliage or trees of any kind. When I drop down at street view and see all the now old trees it reminds me just how old I really am. I was actually wearing cowboy boots walking across those rafters and doing the roofs, I can just manage to stand up from my bed now. It was hard to pin point this house and I had to look at roofs and fire places because the house next door had been finished before we were finished with ours and the contractor that had framed it did not build the fireplace box out, the subdivision job manager asked if we would build it for him and we did. If you look at the photo of Gears and Airline, that was the name of Airline then! I lived in a small trailer park and had moved our new trailer from the 1960 area to where it was then. The roads were just normal two lane country roads and there was no buildings or houses but maybe every 1/4 mile, it was still fenced cattle grazing country in 1972. What a nasty mess it turned out to be. Whut Greenspoint?

I worked at Al Parker Buick downtown just after I left the Army and I specifically remember that corner at 45 and the Airport freeway, there was one Shell service station on that corner, not even a cat or dog moving around out there in 1970. One of my fellow workers from Al Parker worked part time there at that service station and another worker that lived on the south side of Houston asked me to trailer his 68 road runner to that shell station so he could do some engine work. So I did haul the car out there and this is why I so vividly remember the corner. Not to mention the fact that the guy working there at the station accidentally set the service bay wall on fire when he tried pouring gas down the carb of the road runner, it backfired and he jerked his hand back holding a coke bottle full of gasoline and throwing it all over the wall. Managed to put the fire out with no damage and the Road Runner carried the other friend to work the next morning. The friend at the shell station was named Chuck and the other with the Road Runner was Richard. Don't know where they're at now or if they're even alive.

post-9486-000953000 1287632140_thumb.jpg

post-9486-046772500 1287632580_thumb.jpg

Greenspoint won't be rehabilitated until they bring back Scooby's Fun Factory Pizza and Fajita's "a Sizzlin' Celebration" IMO....

I thought I was the only person to remember Scooby's Fun Factory Pizza . . . . . Saw the 2nd Star Wars movie at the GC in the mall too.. . . .

• 2 months later...

Archived