Friends, meet XP-14

groovehouse

Asteroid, 2004 XP-14 that is....XP-14 is a large hunk of rock about 400m-900m (1000 to 2700 feet) in diameter hurling in space and it's about to become very close friends with Earth. Looks like it will be at it's closest to Earth around July 3, 2006...and by closest I mean 0.0029 AU (astronomical units) close. A full astronomical unit equals about 92,955,807 miles so that makes .0029 AU about 269,571 miles. But you know they could be off a few thousand miles or so, I mean how accurate is an AU really? Don't ya think it could make for a very interesting 4th of July?

Oh, in other news, on June 19th, the U.S. Govt will be conducting an "exercise" and will be relocating 4000 federal employees of about 50 branches of government to some bunkers in the foothills of the Alleghenies for an undisclosed amout of time!

We now return you to your normally scheduled life!

]Looks like it will be at it's closest to Earth around July 3, 2006...and by closest I mean 0.0029 AU (astronomical units) close. A full astronomical unit equals about 92,955,807 miles so that makes .0029 AU about 269,571 miles.

Interesting...it'll come almost as close to earth as our moon! I just looked it up, and the moon's average distance from the earth is 238,856 miles (the moon's elliptical orbit varies from 225,745 mi. to 251,967 mi. from the earth.)

That seems pretty close.

Asteroid, 2004 XP-14 that is....XP-14 is a large hunk of rock about 400m-900m (1000 to 2700 feet) in diameter hurling in space and it's about to become very close friends with Earth. Looks like it will be at it's closest to Earth around July 3, 2006...and by closest I mean 0.0029 AU (astronomical units) close. A full astronomical unit equals about 92,955,807 miles so that makes .0029 AU about 269,571 miles. But you know they could be off a few thousand miles or so, I mean how accurate is an AU really? Don't ya think it could make for a very interesting 4th of July?

Oh, in other news, on June 19th, the U.S. Govt will be conducting an "exercise" and will be relocating 4000 federal employees of about 50 branches of government to some bunkers in the foothills of the Alleghenies for an undisclosed amout of time!

We now return you to your normally scheduled life!

I had to read your post a few times to understand what it was you were talking about. But that is pretty cool afterall.

There's a member of my staff who comes to my desk each day and gives me a report of all the recent significant earthquakes, all of the volcanoes that are errupting or are expected to errupt in the next 72 hours, all of the comets and asteroids in the neighborhood, and a "space weather" forecast, which involves solar flares and geomagnetic storms.

He's not here today, but on a regular day he describes asteroids headed our way that are a couple of hundred feet across as "potentially catastrophic." I wonder what he'd think of something 2,700 feet across.

OK, suppose that this is the asteroid that makes us one with the dinosaurs, and it's a certainty. How are you going to spend your last four weeks on Earth?

I'm thinking of re-grouting my bathroom and learning the bassoon.

28 days...six hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I think I will go to Hermann Park for the last time, Smoke a Honey Flavored Phillies Blunt Cigar, then fly to Koln to pray in the Dom, and live the finals days of earth as we know it yoddeling, singing, twirling, and dancing in the swiss alps with Ursella, the Milk Madchen.

OK, suppose that this is the asteroid that makes us one with the dinosaurs, and it's a certainty. How are you going to spend your last four weeks on Earth?

30 days......

20 cases of Modelo Especial

6 Bottles of Crown

6 Cartons of Camels

4 Large bottles of Grey Goose

1 Big Grab bag of fritos.

By the time the asteriod hit I would be ready to die. > :)

This Asteroid has been removed from the "Probability List" that it will hit us, so we will not become oil like the dinosaurs. If it DID hit, I don't see it as a extinction level event, but it will definately take out a city or two. Let's take it at it's probable smallest of 1100 feet across, about half will burn up in the atmosphere leaving 500 ft. diameter rock hurdling at about 12,000 mph, with an impact speed of about 50,000 mph. YIKES ! :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived