Will Houston ever get a Big Music Festival?

Ok, I see different places in the states getting big music festivals like in California (Coachella), New York ( woodstock), Louisiana (Voodoo Festival), Chicago ( Lollapollooza)...now my question is, will Houston ever be the host of a big music festival? And if we do get a music festival in the future, where would it be in houston?

I think Dallas had some kind of festival back in the mid to late nineties at some racing track.

Ok, I see different places in the states getting big music festivals like in California (Coachella), New York ( woodstock), Louisiana (Voodoo Festival), Chicago ( Lollapollooza)...now my question is, will Houston ever be the host of a big music festival? And if we do get a music festival in the future, where would it be in houston?

I think Dallas had some kind of festival back in the mid to late nineties at some racing track.

Would Buzzfest, Westfest, HLS&R, or the International Festival count?

I'm not sure what kind of music would be there, but I can see a few big music festivals in the new Downtown Park. It'd be nice to have a huge annual electronic festival there like in Miami and Detroit ^_^ Wishful thinking from a dj. But I could also see hip-hop, rock, jazz, and/or another country music entity wanting to host something there.

Would Buzzfest, Westfest, HLS&R, or the International Festival count?

I'm not sure what kind of music would be there, but I can see a few big music festivals in the new Downtown Park. It'd be nice to have a huge annual electronic festival there like in Miami and Detroit ^_^ Wishful thinking from a dj. But I could also see hip-hop, rock, jazz, and/or another country music entity wanting to host something there.

Remember the Texxas Jam concerts that were back in the late 70's early 80's. The big one was at the Cotton Bowl in 78. Aeromsith, Nugent

There was one here in 1983 with Styx, Sammy Hagar, Ted Nugent, Triumph and Uriah Heap. It was in the Astrodome.

When I say festival...I mean like a 3 day festival where you can "camp out" on an empty field etc...

It'd be nice to have a huge annual electronic festival there like in Miami and Detroit ^_^ Wishful thinking from a dj.

I've actually been crossing my fingers that we would some day emerge as a techno power house... (along with Industrial, Trance, Electronika, club, etc.) Image if the Love Parade came here instead of San Francisco?

I've actually been crossing my fingers that we would some day emerge as a techno power house... (along with Industrial, Trance, Electronika, club, etc.) Image if the Love Parade came here instead of San Francisco?

Imagine the Winter Music Conference in Houston. Or some kind of electronica-based festival of it's size. It's be HUGE, and look great with Houston's skyline. AND imagine if Power of Houston came back, but with a 24-hour feel to it for 5 days...

Imagine the Winter Music Conference in Houston. Or some kind of electronica-based festival of it's size. It's be HUGE, and look great with Houston's skyline. AND imagine if Power of Houston came back, but with a 24-hour feel to it for 5 days...

What was the power of Houston. I know it was a fireworks show at the end but what was the point? How many years did it happen? I take it was getting too expensive to continue

Edited by JGraspo

Houston is not a music city. Look at how many venues or potential venues there are, and then look at how few live music opportunities there are.

I don't see Houston being a large support of local music, which is usually how a city builds a buzz and becomes a national or even regional highlight.

that, and austin being 175 miles away and basically killing Houston on the music scene. even with Houston being the 'hot' thing in rap music, there are still more rap artists and shows in austin - easily.

i think some music lover with $$$ and connections would have to come in, build up a spot scene, market the heck out of it, and it would have to be successful, and then spread to other venues / genres, etc...

in summary, no.

Who the heck wants to camp in the heat of summer for a festival? Hotels with A/C are where it's at... we will never get a festival like The Reading Festival or Isle of Wight (English festivals) where you can camp, etc... First you have to have a place to host an event like this and second it has to be done during the fall or some other "cool" period... and we don't get those very often down here.

Believe it or not, I would be all for this type of festival, kind of like a "Burning Man" festival out in the Desert.

If you don't know what I am talking about, it is a REAL visually stunning event. Here, take a look.

http://www.burningman.com/

Believe it or not, I would be all for this type of festival, kind of like a "Burning Man" festival out in the Desert.

If you don't know what I am talking about, it is a REAL visually stunning event. Here, take a look.

http://www.burningman.com/

But Burning man is more so for... the Artist/colorful/Hippy crowd, no?

I was thinking the Love Parade, a march down Memorial to Downtown, with people dancing in the street. Kind of like the Power of Houston, when they had big speakers out, and the news channels would quickly jump to people dancing.

I assume what everyone is wishing for is an annual event, but as far as one time events go, Houston once hosted what for years was recognized as the largest crowd for a music concert in history. The numbers varied, but HPD's final estimate was 1.3 million people for Jean Michel Jarre's concert in honor of Houston's 150th birthday, and, unfortunately, the deceased Challenger astronauts.

I had a nice seat in the middle of Allen Parkway, right in front of Allen Parkway Village, which in 1986, was pretty impressive. There were virtually no problems in the crowd, as frankly, there were too many people to cause any trouble. The crowd extended all the way to the West Loop, as well as north to the North Loop. The ride home was widely considered Houston's biggest traffic jam ever, taking over 4 hours to get to FM 1960....that is, until last year.

After 3 solid years of a miserable economy in Houston, Jarre's concert, followed by the Rocket's advance to the NBA Finals and the Astros epic series against the Mets, made the summer of 1986 somewhat tolerable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendez-vous_Houston

EDIT: BTW, try to imagine 1.3 million people crying during the tribute to astronaut Ron McNair. The concert took place only 2 months after the Challenger disaster.

Edited by RedScare

I assume what everyone is wishing for is an annual event, but as far as one time events go, Houston once hosted what for years was recognized as the largest crowd for a music concert in history. The numbers varied, but HPD's final estimate was 1.3 million people for Jean Michel Jarre's concert in honor of Houston's 150th birthday, and, unfortunately, the deceased Challenger astronauts.

I had a nice seat in the middle of Allen Parkway, right in front of Allen Parkway Village, which in 1986, was pretty impressive. There were virtually no problems in the crowd, as frankly, there were too many people to cause any trouble. The crowd extended all the way to the West Loop, as well as north to the North Loop. The ride home was widely considered Houston's biggest traffic jam ever, taking over 4 hours to get to FM 1960....that is, until last year.

After 3 solid years of a miserable economy in Houston, Jarre's concert, followed by the Rocket's advance to the NBA Finals and the Astros epic series against the Mets, made the summer of 1986 somewhat tolerable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendez-vous_Houston

EDIT: BTW, try to imagine 1.3 million people crying during the tribute to astronaut Ron McNair. The concert took place only 2 months after the Challenger disaster.

Wow...very impressive. This is the way we'd have to do it: recreate the Houston Rendezvous downtown, but only as the final event in a week of performances leading up to the big blowout event.

Utilize the Astroworld plot and a portion of Reliant Park's parking lot for an outdoor camping area and build out stages in the Reliant Park parking lot, stadium, astrodome, arena, etc. Pull off a week at Reliant Park, then spring the blowout. Position one big-name band at the top of each skyscraper, and let each do their most notable song, with video projected to screens positioned along four sides of downtown.

After each song, let go a single very large shell from the rooftop of each respective band's building. After the final song, let go a volley of one burning non-explosive shell from every building all at once, repeated at one-second intervals for a full minute, creating the illusion that the skyline has turned to light energy and towers several thousand feet higher than in actuality. When it dies down, let go a massive high-flying explosive shell from the Chase Building that serves as the perfect punctuation mark to the whole event. Then fade in spotlights directed vertically from the top of each building so as to create a vertical afterglow that lingers in everybody's rear view mirrors on the drive home. Only turn the spotlights off at daybreak.

Mayor White, if you're reading...this could be a great ramp-up to your running for higher office... ;)

Houston will never get a big music festival like New Orleans, or other big name cities. Houston just not the place for it.

For example, the Essence Festival. The popular festival came here to Houston, cause majority of New Orleanians was living here (temportary), and the music festival is also here temportary.

Edited by houstonsemipro

Houston will never get a big music festival like New Orleans, or other big name cities. Houston just not the place for it.

For example, the Essence Festival. The popular festival came here to Houston, cause majority of New Orleanians was living here (temportary), and the music festival is also here temportary.

You use to be over-optimistic, now your over-pessimistic. What's with the bipolar?

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys! There is a music conference and festival taking place in Houston,Texas in Febuary 2007. They have artist registration at $40.00 and you can registar your band through December 1, 2006. The website is www.himcf.org and www.himcf.net. See the press release sent out this morning:

The Houston International Music Conference and Festival (HIMCF-2007) Attendee Registration is ON SALE NOW!

HIMCF-2007