Moving to Houston Which Neighborhood?

AlwaysMoving

Hi everyone! This forum looks like a wealth of information for someone like me so I hope you all will be willing to answer. :D

My husband and I are planning to move to Houston soon. He is from Houston--he grew up in Sharpstown but we definitely don't want to live there (scary!).

We have 2 young kids and want a neighborhood that is

~SAFE (relatively)

~has GOOD SCHOOLS

~isn't too far out - hubby wants a commute 30 minutes or less from most major areas (we don't know where he will be working yet), and

~has LONGEVITY -- we want to put down roots in a home and neighborhood where we can live for the next 40 years with the neighborhood retaining its value and still being a nice place to live 40 years from now.

I know very little about Houston and my husband has been gone for 20 years. We have about $180-200K to spend.

Meyerland?

Bellaire? (too expensive?)

Sugarland?

Woodlands? (I think this may be too far out, though)

I would really appreciate any input! I am going to have my husband read the Sharpstown thread--I think he'll get a kick out of remembering his youth. :)

Thanks so much,

Genevieve

(currently living down in miserable McAllen)

The Heights

Garden Oaks

Oak Forest

Lazybrook

Timber Grove

All accessable to DT/TMC/Galleria/GWP with no freeway travel.

Good public and private schools.

Stable neighborhoods.

Still affordable-but not for long.

B)

That is not a realistic price range for either Meyerland or Bellaire. Most anything in that price range that might come up in those areas will be a tear down. Maybe Vicman will be along to give us some more 411 on the schools in Timbergrove, Heights, Garden Oaks & Oak Forest, although your options under $200k will be VERY limited in all but Oak Forest, and it is rising in there as well. Especially if you are wanting a 3 bedroom 2 bath.

I am afraid you will probably have to compromise on one of the things on your list. If you can't change price limitations, and won't compromise on schools, then changing the distance factor will probably come into play.

I know very little about Houston and my husband has been gone for 20 years. We have about $180-200K to spend.

There are still some decent buys right outside the beltway. We live in Walnut Bend and have seen many 3-4 bedroom houses for $180k - $220. Most are in need of some updating, but I think this will work for your requirements. As for schools, Walnut Bend Elementary is currently slated to re-open (complete tear down and rebuilt from scratch) in 2007. Revere (Middle School) leaves a little to be desired, but Westside High is a pretty darn school. It is ranked in the 200 nationally for Public HS's. There are plenty of houses available in your price range that are zoned to these schools. We are right in the Westchase district and have plenty of ammenities. I grew up in Briargrove park (right inside the beltway - and much more pricey). The area has seen steady appreciation and has a nice mix of people.

If you are interested take a look at www.har.com and search single family homes in the 77042 zip code. I think you will find some houses in your range. If you are able to update you will see some appreciation and a stable neighborhood for years to come.

JUST My 2 cents worth....

I wish you luck and weclome back to a great city.

I have to agree with NMainGuy.

Right now prices on homes are down a little in Oak Forest. My house was on the market two years ago. Three bedroom, 2 1/2 baths, practically new home with new electricity, plumbing, 80% new framing, great home for $190K. Right now it would list for $185K, but I decided NOT to sell because I could never replace it with anything near the price and I love my home. (I was actully considering Katy or Sugarland - thank God I came to my senses before I sold the house.)

The elementry school and high school are great (Oak Forest Elm and Waltrip HS) It's the middle school that is questionable, but I have a son going to FM Black middle school now, and there has not been any problems, and the teachers seem to really care about his education. There are great private schools in the area as well.

Garden Oaks is pretty pricey. They are going though a major tear down build McMansion stage now, but being a part of a tight small community like Garden Oaks is with well worth the money.

Timbergrove and Lazybrook are great. Yes, prices are higher (expect $225K plus) but the location is perfect and the homes are beautiful.

Wow, thanks for the input everyone. B)

MarthaG, could you tell me the zip code for Oak Forest so I can search?

Could anyone tell me the zip codes for Timbergrove, the Heights, Lazybrook, and Garden Oaks--or where I can go to find them myself?

I was watching tv last night and saw some crime stuff that got me really creeped out, and my husband's friends live in sketchy areas where they get attempted break-ins and stuff, so I'm really determined to find a NICE place to live! :ph34r:

Oh, and if I were to sacrifice any of my four requirements it would have to be commute time. Safety, longevity, and schools are the most important...DH can drive his butt off if he has to, lol!

Briarmeadow is fairly decent, and is zoned for Lamar HS. Anyone know if the elementary and middle schools are any good there? The neighborhood is one mile from the Southwest Freeway, a few minutes from Uptown/Galleria.

Is briarmedow really zoned to Lamar. I lived there the early part of my life and it was zoned to Lee (which I guess is no longer a regular school).

BTW the zip code for Briarmedow is 77063.

I have a few friends that live there and really like it. There have been a few incidents of car break ins, but probably not any more than other neighborhoods.

i think if public schools are a priority you might want to consider certain areas of the klein school district and the woodlands to the north. the commute can be 45 minutes to downtown and that is if you live in close proximity to the hardy toll road. pineda or mrfootball may know the zip codes near the better klein schools as for the woodlands; 77380, 77381, 77382. remember that some areas of the woodlands are a 15-20 minute drive from the hardy toll road. a commute, for instance, from the village of alden bridge (pleasantville) to downtown houston can be over an hour during peak traffic times. a commute to downtown houston from the village of grogan's mill during peak times can be 35-45 minutes. some may disagree with my calculations.

the inner loop neighborhoods offer easy access, on most days, to anything central. especially, when you learn alternate routes.

the woodlands offers many activities for children, those wanting adult options are often felt left out. although this is changing, the woodlands is a family oriented development. over thirty percent of the woodlands population (pop. around 80k) is under 18. there are sports camps, science camps, math camps, workshops, festivals, a children's museum, children's concerts, village activities, HOA activities, over 100 parks w/various age specific play areas, some of the best private schools in the houston area, the us olympic diving team trains here...........the point being; there are 100s of easily accessible programs from myriad organizations for you and your children in close proximity to your home.

inside the loop, these type of activities exist; however, not in such a close, accessible (IMO) environment.

it's too bad you're not sure where your husband will be commuting to or from. if he is based in the woodlands and you purchased inside or around the loop, a reverse commute wouldn't be so bad. houston is REALLY spread out. if you will not know where your husband will be based in the houston area, perhaps a short term rental would allow you the opportunity to get to know where things are and where you want to be?

and about longevity, a significant percentage of home buyers in the woodlands are people who are moving "within" the woodlands. there are families who have been here from the inception of the woodlands in the early 70's, purchased their first "starter" home, moved into a larger house as they had kids and as empty nesters are downsizing into townhomes, patio homes and condos. this is a great place to "easily" put down some roots if you are so inclined.

welcome to houston!

Well, if my DH can keep with his current company, their Houston office is in Highlands, which I see is way out east.

I used Mapquest and it says Woodlands is 53 minutes from Highlands (yikes!), Kingwood is 47 minutes (ouch) but inner loop (I used Oak Forest) is 27 minutes (much better). Plus, I would think that if we live in inner loop and he works out east, then he would be going opposite the main flow of traffic, right?

I think I would like The Woodlands a lot, and Kingwood looks nice too... With 2 young kids I want lots of activities for them, but I also want stuff for us grown-ups too, like museums, restaurants, and symphony.

Above all, though, is safety. I need for my kids to be able to play in the back yard without worrying all the time.

It seems that a lot of times people think suburbs are safer but when you look at actual crime data it doesn't necessarily hold true... I don't want my poor hubby to spend hours driving each day because we live waaaayyyy out of town, only to discover that where I live isn't necessarily safer than it would have been if I lived inside the loop, ya know?

How do y'all think Houston's "city" is compared to its "burbs" as far as safety?

Thanks so much, everyone--you have no idea how much peace of mind it gives me to be able to gather so much firsthand info from natives before moving in. ^_^

Oh, and thank you for the zip codes!!! That helps a lot when you're doing the bulk of your "shopping" on the internet!

museums, restaurants, and symphony.

You don't have to live inside Loop 610 to enjoy museums, restaurants, and the symphony.

The good productions are on the weekends, anyway. And as much as you think you'll go to the museum on a week night, it'll rarely happen. Most only have extened hours (9 pm) on Thursday, and that's geared towads singles.

Oh, and renting first is NOT an option for us this time.

As you can tell by my user name, we are always moving and we are sick--SICK--of moving. The last 3 cities we've moved to (Durham, NC, Tyler, TX, & McAllen, TX) we lived in apartments for a few months while looking for a house and it just adds too much to the stress. Big move plus another move a couple months later=ulcers. :wacko:

This time we're going to move straight into a house and, so help me, we're not going to move again for at least 10 years, and even then only to another house in the same city (hopefully). I'm so sick of moving I could hurl. :P

And thanks for the welcome, everyone. One thing I like about Houston is that people are so friendly!

Renting first would make sense but you make a valid point about moving and ulcers and all the stress.

Can't answer about schools, no kids yet for the wife and I but we do live in the East End and we have been very happy with our neighborhood, I would bet you wouldn't like it as it is redeveloping right now but we have had no problems at all with any crime and we are very inner loop. When I lived in the Heights some political activist was killed and his rental house torched on Worthshire and I thought that was a pretty nice place to live. So crime is not limited to just one area.

Find yourself a good realtor to help you and I would recommend RPS personally, good luck and welcome to Houston.

Scharpe St Guy

highlands? definitely scratch the woodlands and kingwood. too far out of the way.

If he is going to be working east of Houston you might want to check out Pearland. Lots of development going on there.

I've been in Shadow Creek Ranch for almost a year and love it here in the NorthWest side of Pearland. Check the below link; it might be worth a look since many of the subdivisions are within your budget.

ShadowCreekRanch

How do y'all think Houston's "city" is compared to its "burbs" as far as safety?

I'd say there's little to no difference. It varies randomly, with one exception... proximity to run down apartment complexes seems to be the only good indicator of crime.

A new apartment complex may seem like a good neighbor now, but it is probably going to be a crime ridden dump in 30 years time.

Thank God I came across this forum. My family is also considering a move to the Houston area. Does anyone know much about the Clear Lake, League City, Kemah area? We've visited this place 3 summers in a row and really liked the neighborhoods. What's your opinion of this area?

Let me first take the time to congradulate you upon your escape from McAllen. I spent ten years there myself and cannot attest to having enjoyed it, to say the least.

I'm pretty familiar with the eastern part of town and might be able to point you in the right direction. There is a total of one master planned community in the general area: Newport. It is along the east side of Lake Houston near Crosby. It'll have its own elementary schools, but I can't guarantee the quality of middle and high schools. Atascocita is also a good option; you'd still have an OK commute down Lake Houston Pkwy. and Beltway 8 to IH-10.

Other than these larger concentrations of higher-income neighborhoods, the east side is going to be primarily comprised of working-class towns and cities. I came very close to buying a home in Morgan's Point, which has high elevations and access to a beach along Galveston Bay, yet is reasonably priced. La Porte, although decidedly blue collar, also has a certain attractive funkiness to it that I came to appreciate, but elevations are lower and thus more susceptible to hurricanes. Beach City has remarkably low-priced homes, many on high elevation, and very near Galveston Bay. It is one of the last places in the Houston area that you can really find a deal with relatively safe and inexpensive waterfront.

Northshore, the general area around Uvalde and Woodforest, also has some nice neighborhoods. I used to work with someone who lived out there and loved the neighborhood...spoke up on its behalf every chance she got. Its worth a look, but I must admit that I haven't been through there except once.

You might also check out Baytown. I like it personally...especially the western parts of it that hug Burnett Bay...but there are a variety of neighborhoods with character scattered throughout the city.

If you'd prefer a more rural feeling, you might consider looking out toward Anahuac. Interstate 10 is free of congestion, so you can get the rural lifestyle of eastern Chambers County with a fair bit of distance and within a reasonable amount of time.

If you want to know more about crime issues, I suggest contacting city police departments and requesting Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) Statistics or speaking to the County Sheriff's Department. One of the realities that you're going to have to face regarding the east side is that schools tend to be OK...not terrible, but certainly not great...just OK. That being said, I've always liked that part of town. It has a lot of history and a lot of variety. It has never ceased to pleasantly surprise me, whereas the west and southwest parts of town are pretty transparent. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Thank God I came across this forum. My family is also considering a move to the Houston area. Does anyone know much about the Clear Lake, League City, Kemah area? We've visited this place 3 summers in a row and really liked the neighborhoods. What's your opinion of this area?

I like them each a lot...got family in League City and Bacliff. Be careful about buying east of SH 146 unless you're either on high ground or prepared to pay a lot for a windstorm and hail insurance policy. Even west of SH 146, be aware of your elevation.

Any specific questions?

Really like South Shore Harbour in League Ciy. Moving from California, area somewhat reminds us of the beach communities here that are unaffordable. we've been keeping up with some of the developments in the area and it seems to be growing. Husband will be commuting to the Baytown area, how is traffic on the I45N and I10E. Also most important to us is schools, we have 3 small children and I am a math teacher so want a really good school for my kids and to work at. Thanks for any info you could give us.

Really like South Shore Harbour in League Ciy. Moving from California, area somewhat reminds us of the beach communities here that are unaffordable. we've been keeping up with some of the developments in the area and it seems to be growing. Husband will be commuting to the Baytown area, how is traffic on the I45N and I10E. Also most important to us is schools, we have 3 small children and I am a math teacher so want a really good school for my kids and to work at. Thanks for any info you could give us.

All things considered, League City sounds like a good bet for you, then. I haven't tried commuting from that area in a northerly direction, so I can't tell you how bad traffic might be. He'd be taking SH 146, by the way, so Interstate 45 really don't matter...he might get stuck for a few minutes each morning at the stop lights in the Seabrook area, but my experiences there have never been too hellish. Generally speaking, the eastern portion of I-10 is free sailing...and that's if he even needs to use it.

You're going to notice before too long that property taxes diminish our housing affordability somewhat in a way that you're not used to...that's made up for by the fact that we don't have a state income tax. So when you see the sticker shock, keep this in mind.

Welcome to Houston. :)

All things considered, League City sounds like a good bet for you, then. I haven't tried commuting from that area in a northerly direction, so I can't tell you how bad traffic might be. He'd be taking SH 146, by the way, so Interstate 45 really don't matter...he might get stuck for a few minutes each morning at the stop lights in the Seabrook area, but my experiences there have never been too hellish. Generally speaking, the eastern portion of I-10 is free sailing...and that's if he even needs to use it.

I-45 north is pretty traffic packed in the mornings. I watch it as I can, zooming by on the south bound lanes from the Heights to NASA. Looks no fun...but then all the 'burbs encounter the same commute and 45 seems marginally better. If you can take it, no problems. Just try to drive it during rush hour if you want the real story. I think the outbound traffic in the afternoon is worse than the morning commute.

That is not a realistic price range for either Meyerland or Bellaire. Most anything in that price range that might come up in those areas will be a tear down. Maybe Vicman will be along to give us some more 411 on the schools in Timbergrove, Heights, Garden Oaks & Oak Forest, although your options under $200k will be VERY limited in all but Oak Forest, and it is rising in there as well. Especially if you are wanting a 3 bedroom 2 bath.

I am afraid you will probably have to compromise on one of the things on your list. If you can't change price limitations, and won't compromise on schools, then changing the distance factor will probably come into play.

With Garden Oaks..

* Garden Oaks ES

* Black MS

* Waltrip HS

With Oak Forest, it depends on which section you are in..

Each of the following six elementary schools serve different sections

* Oak Forest

* Stevens

* Benbrook

* Wainwright

* Garden Oaks

* Kate Smith

Oak Forest is divided between two middle schools: Black, Clifton

And high schools... Waltrip, Scarborough

Go to Houston ISD's school locator's Zone search tool to check the zoned schools for your address.

With the Heights it also depends on the section

Elementary:

* Crockett

* Field

* Love

* Helms

* Harvard

* Sinclair

Middle:

* Hamilton

* Hogg

High: