High School Stadiums

Ashikaga

Yo, what's the closest high school stadium to downtown?

The closest field would be Skip Lee Field at St. John's School on W. Alabama. The closest substantial stadium would be Delmar. And, yes, Trophy Prop., this is the one they are talking about renovating or replacing for the Dynamo.

The closest field would be Skip Lee Field at St. John's School on W. Alabama. The closest substantial stadium would be Delmar. And, yes, Trophy Prop., this is the one they are talking about renovating or replacing for the Dynamo.

Where does Lamar play its game. Do they play at Butler ?? What about East Side Schools. Where do they play there home games. It seems to me that would be a stadium located somewhere inside the loop. Maybe not though. HISD would probably sell anyway !!

Where does Lamar play its game. Do they play at Butler ?? What about East Side Schools. Where do they play there home games. It seems to me that would be a stadium located somewhere inside the loop. Maybe not though. HISD would probably sell anyway !!

a lot of the east end and southside high schools play at Barnett Stadium.

Its just off the south loop between Telephone and Long Dr.

it's on the former site of the Golfcrest Country Club (1926-1970) - before they packed up and moved to Pearland.

Berry Center Stadium in Cy-world can seat 11,000. Are there any bigger than that one?

I take that back. Stallworth Stadium in Baytown has 16,500.

Stallworth Stadium is my old "stompin grounds" from back in the day. You can cram well over 20,000 in there. Back in the 80's, Baytown would close up at about 5pm to go watch what has become known as "THE GAME". That is when Baytown Sterling,<--- my school, plays Baytown Lee. It is a spectacle to behold, and a traffic NIGHTMARE ! We would have to arrive at the stadium at about 3pm in the afternoon, just to avoid it. I can remember looking up at all those people before you get on the field, the noise is deafening, after awhile you drown it out, because you have to focus on your blocking assignment.

Stallworth Stadium is my old "stompin grounds" from back in the day. You can cram well over 20,000 in there. Back in the 80's, Baytown would close up at about 5pm to go watch what has become known as "THE GAME". That is when Baytown Sterling,<--- my school, plays Baytown Lee. It is a spectacle to behold, and a traffic NIGHTMARE ! We would have to arrive at the stadium at about 3pm in the afternoon, just to avoid it. I can remember looking up at all those people before you get on the field, the noise is deafening, after awhile you drown it out, because you have to focus on your blocking assignment.

That sounds a little like Friday night Lights. Great Book. OK Movie.

That sounds a little like Friday night Lights. Great Book. OK Movie.

Funny you should mention that, we lost to Odessa in the state championship in 1972. I wasn't playing for Sterling then however, but I'm sure I was there with my oldman.

Funny you should mention that, we lost to Odessa in the state championship in 1972. I wan't playing for Sterling then however, but I'm sure I was there with my oldman.

I found out that I would have gone to Milby High School had I stayed in Houston. I did a Google search and the article I read said that it was the biggest high school in Houston. I assume that that meant how many students that it had, not its football stadium. I haven't heard any of you mention that stadium as one of the big ones.

The article said that Milby opened back in 1926. In the span of those 80 years, did its football team ever win state championship? If not state, how many times did it make the playoffs? Was it ever a powerhouse like Cashmere or Aldine? I assume that it has always been 4A/5A.

So where do they play? I am not even sure I know where Milby is located?

Milby is at 1601 Broadway, roughly at the intersection with Texas 225 in SE Houston. It is the oldest and largest high school in HISD. They play their home games at Dyer Stadium, next door to Delmar.

Milby is at 1601 Broadway, roughly at the intersection with Texas 225 in SE Houston. It is the oldest and largest high school in HISD. They play their home games at Dyer Stadium, next door to Delmar.

OK, not I am really confused. Delmar stadium is the one at mangum and 290/610 right. Is there another stadium in the same complex ??? I have never noticed that.

Figured it out - Click here

Beat me to it, TP. Dyer is the smaller track and field stadium north of the bigger Delmar.

I guess I never noticed since I have never set foot on the complex. Now that I see the layout It clicks, but I guess I just figured it was one stadium.

I disagree. They play most (if not all) of their home games at Barnett.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=68....04283&t=h&om=1

Note their 2006 Football Schedule :D

http://www.milbyalum.org/2006%20Varsity%20...%20Schedule.htm

and see my previous post below:

a lot of the east end and southside high schools play at Barnett Stadium.

Its just off the south loop between Telephone and Long Dr.

it's on the former site of the Golfcrest Country Club (1926-1970) - before they packed up and moved to Pearland.

I disagree. They play most (if not all) of their home games at Barnett.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=68....04283&t=h&om=1

Note their 2006 Football Schedule :D

http://www.milbyalum.org/2006%20Varsity%20...%20Schedule.htm

and see my previous post below:

They probably play a few "away" games at Dyer...

I guess that, technically, even if two high schools play their "home" games in the same stadium, if they play each other for a game in that stadium, one of them has to be designated as the "home" team and one as the "visitor".

Robertson Stadium on the campus of UH used to be the original HISD Stadium. Do high schools still play there? It would seem a natural for Yates to play there since it's right across the street!

I saw Pink Floyd play there one time.... :/ Pretty sure that was the place anyway..

MK

I guess I never noticed since I have never set foot on the complex. Now that I see the layout It clicks, but I guess I just figured it was one stadium.

I remember running track meets at dyer back in a past life...

They used to run track meets at some pretty weird places...

IE: seems I remember cross country meets on braes bayou,

hermann park, some schools, etc.. We ran our state meets

in Austin at some large campus. I was in the band all through

school, and went to HS at Westbury. They had nearly all their

games at Butler, which was pretty close by.

MK

Over here, almost all high school football games are played on Friday nights. If two schools use the same stadium for there home games, then one of them will hold its home game on Saturday night if the other school played in the stadium the night before.

Now that I've learned that HISDs football stadiums are shared by two or more schools, does that mean that about half of HISDs school play their "home" games on Friday nights and the other half play their "home" games on Saturday nights?

Over here, almost all high school football games are played on Friday nights. If two schools use the same stadium for there home games, then one of them will hold its home game on Saturday night if the other school played in the stadium the night before.

Now that I've learned that HISDs football stadiums are shared by two or more schools, does that mean that about half of HISDs school play their "home" games on Friday nights and the other half play their "home" games on Saturday nights?

I am pretty sure that most 5A - 4A schools play there games on Friday nights. I used to watch the higlights in the news and it seems that all those schools play Friday nights.

I am pretty sure that most 5A - 4A schools play there games on Friday nights. I used to watch the higlights in the news and it seems that all those schools play Friday nights.

I was wondering, do the high schools in Houston start in the 9th or the 10th Grade?

Archived