High School Stadiums

Ashikaga

You are considered in HS in the 9th grade. There are a few schools that have seperate facilities for 9th grade. Elsik and Hastings come to mind.

The reason why I'm asking that is that, the way that I understand it, the number of students in a high school is what determines if it is a 4A or a 5A school. Is it based on 9th or 10th grade up? I mean, say, that one school that high school starts in the 10th grade has 2,000 students and another high school that starts in the 9th grade also has 2,000 students, then shouldn't the former be 5A and the latter be 4A?

The reason why I'm asking that is that, the way that I understand it, the number of students in a high school is what determines if it is a 4A or a 5A school. Is it based on 9th or 10th grade up? I mean, say, that one school that high school starts in the 10th grade has 2,000 students and another high school that starts in the 9th grade also has 2,000 students, then shouldn't the former be 5A and the latter be 4A?

My guess is that 9th graders at the Alief / Hastings 9th grade school are able to play varsity football if their talent allows. I would think that school would be included in their size. Since Elsik and Hastings are in the biggest 5A bracket often enough I would think this would be the case.

I am not 100% positive though.

My guess is that 9th graders at the Alief / Hastings 9th grade school are able to play varsity football if their talent allows. I would think that school would be included in their size. Since Elsik and Hastings are in the biggest 5A bracket often enough I would think this would be the case.

I am not 100% positive though.

Back when I was in high school in the 1970s, no freshmen, no matter how good they were, were allowed to play on the varsity or even the junior varsity teams. The 9th grade had their own teams/leagues. And I also remember that very few sophomores could get on the varsity team, most of them were on the junior varsity team.

Back when I was in high school in the 1970s, no freshmen, no matter how good they were, were allowed to play on the varsity or even the junior varsity teams. The 9th grade had their own teams/leagues. And I also remember that very few sophomores could get on the varsity team, most of them were on the junior varsity team.

I have heard that too. I am not really sure. I went to private school and Freshman played on the team.

I know you are correct about the past, but I am not sure how it is done today ??

I have heard that too. I am not really sure. I went to private school and Freshman played on the team.

I know you are correct about the past, but I am not sure how it is done today ??

That's what I said, back in the 1970s. In Beaumont (where I graduated from high school) back then there were two school districts each having three high schools (back then the biggest was 4A). That all changed in the 1980s. Since then it has been one district, and for several years the students were crammed into two big high schools (Westbrook and Central). A few years ago they opened up Ozen. I think that Westbrook and Central are 5A and that Ozen is 4A.

Naturally, I liked it better back when I was there.

• 2 weeks later...

Delmar opened for the 1960 football season. The first time I saw it was at the Reagan-Waltrip game that year. The grass had yet to fully grow, and the field was a quagmire after recent heavy rains. However, that didn

Delmar is a dump, but it has that "charm" kinda like a Fenway Park.

I think the UIL wants schools to play on Friday Nights. Some school districts are so big, they have to play on Thursday night, and two games on Saturdays. One in the afternoon, and one in the evening.

Districts share their stadiums.

I think if you can't play Varsity if you are a freshmen. I think you have to wait for your sophomore year before you can play varsity.

• 2 weeks later...
Delmar is a dump, but it has that "charm" kinda like a Fenway Park.

I think the UIL wants schools to play on Friday Nights. Some school districts are so big, they have to play on Thursday night, and two games on Saturdays. One in the afternoon, and one in the evening.

Districts share their stadiums.

I think if you can't play Varsity if you are a freshmen. I think you have to wait for your sophomore year before you can play varsity.

What I like about shared stadiums is that the scoreboard displays simply "HOME" and "VISITOR." There's no personalization of the home team's nickname. That means that any schools that play there can be easily designated.

I never understood nicknames anyway. I guess they are used for the students to have a mascot to rally around. The nickname of my high school football team was called "The Trojans." Four guys would carry the Trojan named "IGOR" at the games. Yes, IGOR gave us something to rally around.

But I wonder how it would be if there were no nicknames? You could simply say, for example, "It's North Shore against Baytown Sterling tonight." And during the same when a team scores, just say, "Touchdown, North Shore." Would there really be any difference between saying just the school's name or its mascot?

• 2 weeks later...

Stallworth Stadium (2004):

stallworth.jpg

stallworth2.jpg

They have since put in the fieldturf (or whatever it's called) and in the middle of adding the video replay board.

After the 2006 season, work on the new pressbox will begin.

Stallworth Stadium holds just shy of 17,000 spectators and is host to the biannual Bayou Bowl.

stallworth.jpg

stallworth2.jpg

They have since put in the fieldturf (or whatever it's called) and in the middle of adding the video replay board.

Stallworth Stadium holds just shy of 17,000 spectators and is host to the biannual Bayou Bowl.

Excellent photos!

What you can't see in those pics are the concession stands which are underneath the stadium, and the stadium bleachers are raised just enough so that you can peer out underneath to see the action on the field as you are waiting in line.

What you can't see in those pics are the concession stands which are underneath the stadium, and the stadium bleachers are raised just enough so that you can peer out underneath to see the action on the field as you are waiting in line.

Well, the good thing about having the concession stand underneath the bleachers is that if it's raining, less rain will get on the people who are standing in line to get some popcorn or a soda.

nor can you see the long urinal floors in the mens rooms.... :o

nor can you see the long urinal floors in the mens rooms.... :o

There's urinals in there ? ;):lol: It has been a llllloooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg time since I have been in a bathroom there, but I can't remember if they had the floor type or the tub trough type, but I do seem to remeber ice being in them to help with flushing, and the smell I am sure.

There's urinals in there ? ;):lol: It has been a llllloooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg time since I have been in a bathroom there, but I can't remember if they had the floor type or the tub trough type, but I do seem to remeber ice being in them to help with flushing, and the smell I am sure.

I remember the long floor type. and they were right across the aisle from the concession.

Thanks for the pics! I was just reminded of my days at Gentry and having to run the bleachers during PE. I also went to Sterling and remember "The Game".

I disagree. They play most (if not all) of their home games at Barnett.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=68....04283&t=h&om=1

Note their 2006 Football Schedule :D

http://www.milbyalum.org/2006%20Varsity%20...%20Schedule.htm

and see my previous post below:

I guess because more than one school has to use the same stadium, that explains why some of Milby's games will be on Thursday nights.

Archived