If You Could Add 5 Scrapers Of The World To Hou...

UrbaNerd

SO, if you could add 5 skyscrapers to the Houston skyline, which would they be?

Personally, I would add:

Meseturm, Frankfurt

191 Peachtree, Atlanta

BOA Tower, Charlotte

Seafirst/BOA tower, Seattle

Wachovia Tower, Miami

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would build that grand central terminal just north of downtown, in Main Street, which would provide for the following:

Red Line (expanded)

Sugarland Commuter Rail

Northwest Commuter Rail

Gulf Corridor Commuter Rail

Amtrak

Greyhound

Other Bus lines

Then, I would build a very tall "space needle" like thing, maybe where the current Central Post Office is located.

• 2 weeks later...

If I could add skyscrapers to Houston from others cities, it would be:

- BofA, San Francisco -- 1100 Louisiana can use a twin, since it is designed and modeled after.

- Suntrust Plaza, Atlanta

- Liberty Place Towers, Philadelphia -- modeled after the unbuilt Bank of the SW, so this will make up for it.

- One Shell Square, New Orleans -- One Shell Plaza can use a twin as well.

- Tower City, Cleveland -- If METRORail had a METROCenter station where all the lines would meet in the future, like LA and DC which have this namesake, this would be the one, right under the building. haha

If I could add skyscrapers to Houston from others cities, it would be:

- BofA, San Francisco -- 1100 Louisiana can use a twin, since it is designed and modeled after.

- Suntrust Plaza, Atlanta

- Liberty Place Towers, Philadelphia -- modeled after the unbuilt Bank of the SW, so this will make up for it.

- One Shell Square, New Orleans -- One Shell Plaza can use a twin as well.

- Tower City, Cleveland -- If METRORail had a METROCenter station where all the lines would meet in the future, like LA and DC which have this namesake, this would be the one, right under the building.  haha

I think Houston has some pretty magnificant skyscrapers. But i would choose the Fountain Plaza in Dallas

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
definitely the:
  • petronas towers, kuala lumpur
  • the sony tower nyc  .... ... (used to be at&t) another brilliant phillip johnson masterpiece that really did belong here!  dangit!
  • the helmut jahn towers of chicago's waterfront
  • i.m pei's addition to the louvre in paris

I sure do like the Plaza Hotel building in NYC. I also love the Waldorf Astoria exterior (and interioir for that matter). I would also bring back the Shamrock. Everyone who remembers that building loved it.

There was a St. Patrick's Day float of the Shamrock Hotel. It's amazing how people still think of it even though it was torn down a long time ago. Other than the Astrodome, I don't think any other building has had such an impact on Houston.

There was a St. Patrick's Day float of the Shamrock Hotel.  It's amazing how people still think of it even though it was torn down a long time ago.  Other than the Astrodome, I don't think any other building has had such an impact on Houston.

right!

with possibly the exception of nasa, but then i'd be hard pressed to be able to identify any NASA buildings from a photograph.

Hello, i am doing some research and i was wondering if anyone had any information or, even better, photos of the 1100 Louisiana after hurricane Alicia when the glass was blown out.

Here's a snipet i found on a website

"In downtown Houston, shards of glass became deadly missiles when hundreds of window panes were broken out of skyscrapers by gravel blown from nearby rooftops. The windows were designed to withstand hurricane winds but not impact from debris. The result was huge piles of broken glass in the streets below."

i remember that the glass literally went through car hoods, truck hoods as if a bullet had been shot. After this hurricane they changed the building code so as not to allow gravel roofs downtown.

For those that weren't in Houston, imagine August with no electricity. We didn't have power for 3 days. The next week i went to school 1/2 days cause the school didn't have electricity. It was at least 10 days after the storm that they got power back. Property damage was enormous, esp fallen trees etc.

Archived