Waterway development continues in Town Center

More business, restaurant space planned for hub of Woodlands

By BETH KUHLES

Chronicle Correspondent

The Woodlands unveiled its plans for the crown jewel of the Woodlands Waterway

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The luxury hotel will not be a run-of-the-mill chain offering, but will instead provide the highest level of services, unique amenities and an architectural statement, Leverett said.

now this really piques my interest. :)

Wow, the Woodlands is really progressing nicely. I wonder if anyone could see all this urbanization coming about 10 years ago. It must be fascinating to live in a house in the Woodlands and just watch your community continue to get better and better stuff.

I can't wait to see a rendering. I'm pretty excited too. Is the Woodlands following any national trends in architectural design with their new buildings, or are they going with their own unique style? I'd love to see some Czech-inspired architecture.

they seem to like ziegler cooper and gensler. i do not dislike the buildings going up on the waterway. i enjoy the subtle lines of the marriott hotel's exterior quite a bit. depending on where you are viewing the hotel, it's unusual vertical lines are constantly changing your perception of the structure. hopefully, in the future and perhaps with this boutique hotel, we will get a piece of architecture that garner's some attention.

they seem to like ziegler cooper and gensler. i do not dislike the buildings going up on the waterway. i enjoy the subtle lines of the marriott hotel's exterior quite a bit. depending on where you are viewing the hotel, it's unusual vertical lines are constantly changing your perception of the structure. hopefully, in the future and perhaps with this boutique hotel, we will get a piece of architecture that garner's some attention.

Went to Churassco's, inside the loop, on Thursday night and it was really neat to see that the old manager from La Tour D"Argent is the manager there now. Great meal, but I have to say I miss the old menu.

• 2 weeks later...

i found a link to the story via google and had the same result. it may be an error. i can find no other information confirming the information in the article on the town center or woodlands residents' website.

it appears that they are moving earth in preparation for waterway square by sasaki and associates. :)

• 4 months later...
By the way, do you know what the units in that 17 story residential are going for?

More office space

Also under construction in the Waterway Square area is the construction of 24 Waterway Ave., a 13-story building with 308,206 square feet of mixed use space, meaning a blending of office, retail and/or residential use.

The buildling marks the largest mixed use office building built by The Woodlands Development Co. to date and will be surrounded by five other mixed-use buildings in Town Center.

"We've had for a long time a plan for Waterway Square to be a mixed-use environment. That's what we have at 21 (Waterway Ave.), that's what we have at the other buildings here. This is simply the next logical step," said Alex Sutton, co-president with the company.

Sutton said interest is already very high to lease space in the building. Nearby, 21 Waterway Ave. has already been 100 percent leased.

Planning calls for a tower of luxury condos, priced about $500-600 a square foot, boutique hotel, Sutton said.

In the future, two additional Class A office buildings are expected to be built as well.

"There's a return, a sort of Renaissance of mixed use in office buildings,"Robinson said.

full story

• 1 month later...

Churrascos to spice up Woodlands Waterway

By: CHARIS BEAL, Contributing writer

12/14/2006

A popular eatery, voted Best All-Around Restaurant in the AOL's 2005 City Guide, will be coming to 21 Waterway Avenue.

The planned addition of Churrascos Restaurant to the Woodlands Town Center was recently announced by The Woodlands Development Company Commercial Vice President Dan Leverett. "We pursued Churrascos because it is a chef-driven restaurant that is widely acclaimed for its cuisine. The distinctive ambiance and cuisine offered at Churrascos will be a wonderful addition to the growing options for dining out in The Woodlands Town Center," Leverett said. Those familiar with chef-owner Michael Cordua's location in Houston will not be disappointed with The Woodlands location.

Studio Gaia of New York, the award-winning firm which designed several W Hotels and the Tao restaurant in the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas, has been awarded the design contract. According to McCarley the bi-level restaurant will feature a bar on the street level with the dining room overlooking The Woodlands Waterway on the second level.

The Woodlands location will be different from other Churrascos because of the setting, but will "artfully blend chic minimalism with a theatrical flair" making it one of the most fashionable environments in the country, he said.

full story

Is this on Waterway Court?

If the development is along Waterway Court (West of I-45, near The Woodlands Mall), and the development gets condominiums, then the development will be zoned to the following Conroe ISD schools:

* Lamar Elementary School

* Wilkerson Intermediate School

* Knox Junior High School

* The Woodlands College Park High School

• 2 months later...

word on the street is that the hotel to be built at waterway square is between another marriott concept and a "W" hotel. also, the 17 story condominium is rumored to be 21 stories now. who knows.

a "W' hotel would be the first in houston.

• 2 months later...

21 waterway is complete with goose's acre pub on the street and waterway level. churrasco's is currently being finished out. 24 waterway is up about five or six stories and should top out at 13. the woodlands waterway square, designed by sasaki and associates, should be finished by the end of the year. rumor is that a "w" hotel is going in at waterway square. i don't have a reliable source on the "w" hotel yet.....we'll see.

there are two mixed use buildings going in next door to 24 waterway that are supposed to house specialty restaurants. the space, in 21 waterway, being built to house churrasco's has been posted in some media releases as an america's restaurant with nationally known designers. i don't know if this means an america's restaurant or not. chef cordua is responsible for both restaurants.

america's, being one of my favorite restaurants, would be a slam dunk for the woodlands (IMO).

at waterway square, there will be 24 waterway, a boutique hotel and a luxury condominium project. 21 waterway is a mixed use building that houses goose's acre pub, churrasco's and offices.

at 25 waterway, there is a baker street pub and coming soon is chocolata, a chocolate bar.

oh ok...you'd think they could come up with something other than waterway. Get's me confused. lol.

I don't know about you, but when you think of riverwalk, don't you think of it being lined with stores and resturants like in San Antonio? We have nothing. It's no wonder people aren't in a hurry to take a boat ride...to where? It's mainly offices and condos. Where are the shops and all?!

the woodlands waterway is considered a "transitway". it isn't a tourist attraction.......yet. btw, the san antonio riverwalk stinks to the high heavens, i can't stand it. the woodlands development company is a patient being. they will not build unless there is pent up demand. there will be restaurants and entertainment on the waterway, in time. waterway square is a big deal, wait until it is complete.

buy a house around north millbend while they are still cheap.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
tomorrow, Saturday 06-09-07 chocolata cocoa bar will have it's grand opening. definately worth a visit as this place is 3,800 sq. ft. i think this place will put chocolate bar on alabama out of business, lol.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...2444.html#_self

some pics:

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

visited chocolata last night. the current offerings were underwhelming; however, the items available will eventually be substantial, not to mention the custom confectioner creations. we tried a mexican, ancho chocolate bar, iced chai; one person had a dark chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream and another had birthday cake ice cream. everyone was pleased, but nothing that we tried stood out. the fondue, cakes, liqueur and drink options will most likely be the better items. will return to try different items.

visited chocolata last night. the current offerings were underwhelming; however, the items available will eventually be substantial, not to mention the custom confectioner creations. we tried a mexican, ancho chocolate bar, iced chai; one person had a dark chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream and another had birthday cake ice cream. everyone was pleased, but nothing that we tried stood out. the fondue, cakes, liqueur and drink options will most likely be the better items. will return to try different items.

nice, sounds like they have a good variety. i plan to make a visit there this weekend.

Archived