Downtown

farewell_houston.jpg

:D Painting By Robert a.m. Stepane 1997

I remember flipping through cable stations one day and catching the part of the movie where they nuked us. The sign off of Spur 5 to UH was the only part of Houston shown. I really wish that they'd paid to do the visual sequence there.

The network TV version always cuts out Houston's demise to save time. :angry2:

At least I got to see Houston split in two by a massive earthquake last night, though. Chase Tower looked like it made it, but my office was toast. :P

No, all they showed in the movie version was the nuclear blast, lots of debris being blown around, and a couple of armored vehicles with crews inside peering out into downtown with fuzzy night vision devices. You couldn't even get close to making out any of the remnants of the buildings.

never seen a movie where houston is obliterated (apart from ID4 which really doesn't cut it) but did see dallas get pummled by an asteroid in some cheesy TV movie a few years ago.

Dallas has been obliterated on television several times. Just recently, the Discovery Channel and Weather Channel teamed up to produce something about how it is theoretically possible for a supercell to develop that would have the power to essentially destroy downtown Dallas. Scaremongering...the lowest of the low for a channel that at one time hyped itself as educational.

The network TV version always cuts out Houston's demise to save time. :angry2:

At least I got to see Houston split in two by a massive earthquake last night, though. Chase Tower looked like it made it, but my office was toast. :P

Glad you survived, Red...maybe you were at lunch? ;)

That was THE hokiest movie ever-hours of my life just snatched away... :lol:

B)

That show was indeed the worst. I found myself wishing I really WOULD get swallowed by a giant fissure...at least it would stop the pain of watching network TV!

BTW, the Galveston coast sure looked nice without any houses or trees on it! Come on. Couldn't they at least look at Google Earth to see what Galveston looked like? Don't they even know it is an ISLAND?

I think they're talking about that cheesy TV movie that aired on NBC last week starring Beau Bridges. It was a sequel to another cheesy earthquake TV movie from two years ago. Those made-for-TV disaster movies, are like, so cheesy.

"Oh my God"! "Look out!" :CRASH: "My baby!"

EDITED:

Nevermind. I got this thread confused with another one on the forum I was reading earlier today. I thought I was responding to it.

EDITED AGAIN:

No, this was the right thread.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

I remember flipping through cable stations one day and catching the part of the movie where they nuked us. The sign off of Spur 5 to UH was the only part of Houston shown. I really wish that they'd paid to do the visual sequence there.

That movie was Independence Day.

They were trying to save Houston cause it was characterized as the world's space and energy hub.

Coincidently, that painting looks like a scene right out of Independence Day.

Ex. Manhattan being nukked in the movie

INDEPEND.JPG