Houston as a World Cup Host

GovernorAggie

I would like to know what you guys think. I don't know all the logistics that go with the World Cup. I seem to remember when it was in the U.S. (1994?) that the games were in a lot of different places.

I think that a World Cup set for Houston could work, with all the matches never leaving the State of Texas. Think of all the potential large facilities:

Reliant

Rice Stadium

New Cowboys Stadium

Alamodome

Kyle Field

Royal Stadium

Cotton Bowl

Sun Bowl

Several others (don't know the names off the top of my head but Texas Tech's stadium, Baylor's stadium, and TCU's stadium)

There's also Robertson Stadium.

I don't know the typical attendance sizes but I think that a Texas World Cup with Houston as the focal point could work well. After all, aren't we about the size of Germany landwise, lol?

I would like to know what you guys think. I don't know all the logistics that go with the World Cup. I seem to remember when it was in the U.S. (1994?) that the games were in a lot of different places.

I think that a World Cup set for Houston could work, with all the matches never leaving the State of Texas. Think of all the potential large facilities:

Reliant

Rice Stadium

New Cowboys Stadium

Alamodome

Kyle Field

Royal Stadium

Cotton Bowl

Sun Bowl

Several others (don't know the names off the top of my head but Texas Tech's stadium, Baylor's stadium, and TCU's stadium)

There's also Robertson Stadium.

I don't know the typical attendance sizes but I think that a Texas World Cup with Houston as the focal point could work well. After all, aren't we about the size of Germany landwise, lol?

I never thought of that, but you couldn't be more right! I would imagine California being in the same boat, but yeah, I can see that! But Robertson Stadium holding only 32,000 fans is way too small for a World Cup crowd. Texas Tech is very ideal, though. This is a little crazy, but what if Minute Maid Park were in there as well? They hosted an international soccer match earlier this year, yo :)

What made U come up with the idea? Cool beans!

I thought about it since we're all talking about chasing the Olympics--a global venture to get some global exposure.

The World Cup would be the next biggest thing, IMHO. Even if we didn't get the Olympics, a successful World Cup would be a huge boost for Texas, and shine a light on how diverse the state actually is--especially Houston. Maybe AEG and the MLS could get involved with it. After all, this is the only state besides California with more than one MLS team. A successful World Cup could provide a good hangover effect on the MLS, IMHO.

Good point about Minute Maid--I was hoping hear how that went--were the sightlines good, etc. etc. I could look it up myself, I suppose.

If I have the time, I'd also like to look at the impact on Indianapolis from having the World Basketball Championships a couple years ago, too.

I thought about it since we're all talking about chasing the Olympics--a global venture to get some global exposure.

The World Cup would be the next biggest thing, IMHO. Even if we didn't get the Olympics, a successful World Cup would be a huge boost for Texas, and shine a light on how diverse the state actually is--especially Houston. Maybe AEG and the MLS could get involved with it. After all, this is the only state besides California with more than one MLS team. A successful World Cup could provide a good hangover effect on the MLS, IMHO.

Good point about Minute Maid--I was hoping hear how that went--were the sightlines good, etc. etc. I could look it up myself, I suppose.

If I have the time, I'd also like to look at the impact on Indianapolis from having the World Basketball Championships a couple years ago, too.

This came to mind after Houston got it's soccer team. I would like to know how we would get a World Cup too. Is it the same or similar process as the Olympics?

This would give Houston major world attention as the World Cup eclipses almost any sports event in the rest of the World

I'm guessing the process is similar to the Olympics.

According to wikipedia, they rotate between the different confederations. South Africa has it in 2010, maybe Brasil in 2014. Asia just had it, Europe has it now, so N America may be up in 2018. Don't hold your breath.

I'm guessing the process is similar to the Olympics.

According to wikipedia, they rotate between the different confederations. South Africa has it in 2010, maybe Brasil in 2014. Asia just had it, Europe has it now, so N America may be up in 2018. Don't hold your breath.

U know, we had a chance at hosting some of the World Cup games at the Astrodome for 1994, but Harris County didn't commit to natural grass <_<

I never thought of that, but you couldn't be more right! I would imagine California being in the same boat, but yeah, I can see that! But Robertson Stadium holding only 32,000 fans is way too small for a World Cup crowd. Texas Tech is very ideal, though. This is a little crazy, but what if Minute Maid Park were in there as well? They hosted an international soccer match earlier this year, yo :)

What made U come up with the idea? Cool beans!

Actually Roberston would be an ideal stadium for a smaller game lets say in the first round. I went to the Euro Cup 2 years ago in Portugal and most of those stadiums were between 32k-60k. Granted the Euro Cup is not the World Cup, but it is HUGE deal in Europe.

U know, we had a chance at hosting some of the World Cup games at the Astrodome for 1994, but Harris County didn't commit to natural grass <_<

Also, I have never heard of a state or a city hosting the world cup. It always seems to be a Country. I thought the set up was great in 1994. Many of the biggest and best stadiums in the country were represented. Dallas got a few games. Not sure if it was the Cotton Bowl or Texas Stadium, but I heard the games were an amazing time.

Texas Tech plays at Jones AT&T Stadium, Baylor plays at Floyd Casey Stadium, and TCU plays at Amon G. Carter Stadium.

Also, I have never heard of a state or a city hosting the world cup. It always seems to be a Country. I thought the set up was great in 1994. Many of the biggest and best stadiums in the country were represented. Dallas got a few games. Not sure if it was the Cotton Bowl or Texas Stadium, but I heard the games were an amazing time.

The Cotton Bowl got 6 games.

Jason

• 5 weeks later...

Usually, 12 cities host the World Cup.

If it goes to a Texas city, it's going to be both Dallas and Houston.

Here are my 12 as to potentially host some games.

Foxboro, MA. Gillete Stadium

E. Rutherford, NJ. Giants stadium*

Philadelphia, PA. Lincoln Finacial Field

Landover, MD. FedEx Field**

Miami, FL. Dolphins Stadium

Houston, TX. Reliant Stadium

Arlington, TX That sorry Cowboys Stadium

Chicago, IL. Soldier Field

Glendale, AZ. Cardinals Stadium.

Seattle, WA. Qwest Field

Pasadena, CA. Rose Bowl***

I'm stuck on the last one. I think Northern California should have a stadium. I'm thinking the 49ers or Raiders would have a new stadium by 2014, or 2018.

If the 49ers are still playing in run down Candlestick3ComMonster Park, and the Raiders are still in the blackhole, then maybe Kansas City, MO should get it. They can play at Aarowhead Stadium.

* Maybe the State of New York and/or New Jersey decides to build a new stadium for either the Jets and/or Giants. They would probably play in there. I think they're working on a New Yankee Stadium, and a new Stadium for the Mets, so why not a new one for the Jets, and Giants.

** I don't think they have ever played a Soccer match at FedEx Field. They usually hold games at RFK Stadium. I think the Nationals finally got a deal to build a new baseball stadium. I seriously doubt that they will tear down RFK. FedEX field can hold well more than 80,000 fans.

*** Assuming the NFL grants an expansion franchise or a relocated franchise in Los Angeles, they would need a new stadium. Maybe they have a team in LA with a new stadium, so they may rather choose to play in this new stadium instead of the Rose Bowl.

Here's my US World Cup lineup. Keep in mind we're talking about US in 2014 or 2018, so stadiums should reflect that. Must also keep in mind the FIFA trend of moving closer and closer to domed stadiums. Those without roofs will need a roof of some kind as well as all seats and the ability to hold a FIFA sized field:

AZ Cardinals Stadium - Glendale, Arizona

LA Memorial Coliseum(renovated) - Los Angeles, California

Invesco Field - Denver, Colorado

Dolphin Stadium(with retractable roof renovation) - Miami, Florida

Georgia Dome(renovated) - Atlanta, Georgia

Soldier Field - Chicago, Illinois

Lucas Oil Stadium - Indianapolis, Indiana

Louisiana Superdome(under renovation) - New Orleans, Louisiana

FedEx Field - Landover, Maryland

M&T Bank Stadium - Baltimore, Maryland

Ford Field - Detroit, Michigan

New Vikings Stadium - suburban Minneapolis

New Giants/Jets Stadium - The Meadowlands

Bank of America Stadium - Charlotte, NC

Cleveland Browns Stadium(getting a possible retractable roof) - Cleveland , Ohio

Lincoln Financial Field - Philly, PA

Reliant Stadium - Houston

Cowboys Park - Arlington

Qwest Field - Seattle, Washington

Then we have to break this down to 10-12 by going with those most like to get roofs or already have roof plans or big spending owners. Plus those built for international soccer.

AZ Cardinals Stadium - Glendale, Arizona

LA Memorial Coliseum(renovated) - Los Angeles, California

Dolphin Stadium(with retractable roof renovation) - Miami, Florida

Soldier Field - Chicago, Illinois

Lucas Oil Stadium - Indianapolis, Indiana

FedEx Field - Landover, Maryland

Ford Field - Detroit, Michigan

New Giants/Jets Stadium - The Meadowlands

Cleveland Browns Stadium(getting a possible retractable roof) - Cleveland , Ohio

Reliant Stadium - Houston

Cowboys Park - Arlington

Qwest Field - Seattle, Washington

This would be the greatest World Cup stadium lineup ever.

Apparently the FIFA has earmarked 2014 for South America, so there is a strong possibility that Brazil will make it. Should FIFA keep the rotation principle, 2018 would be North America or Oceania's turn. However, FIFA may want to give more world cups to its strongest (both finance and members-wise) federation, the UEFA: England encouraged to bid for 2018... but the good thing, at least for the USA, is because of the bad experience of 2002, FIFA has banned any co-hosting, so this will reduce the number of countries that will be able to host a tournament like this. (For instance, Chile and Argentina wanted to co-host the 2014 cup).

Stragely enough, to this day, the US WC '94 was the most lucrative and best attended World Cup ever. They'd be crazy not to want to come back. We may not be the best soccer fans, but we attend events and spend money whether anyone travels here or not.

I've read posts talking about the 2014 South America thing, but never anything from FIFA itself. What country would be capable of hosting? South America would need co-hosting. Even Brazil would need a serious facilities upgrade. Look at all the money Germany had to spend with a much better base of stadiums. South Africa is going to spend a lot too.

Well, the rotation principle was decided upon in 2000 and subsequently ratified by the FIFA World congress, see this link.

According to Wikipedia, there was first some kind of rotation between Europe and South America (back in the 1930s, intercontinental travel was a real issue), so the world cup roughly alternated between these two continents. I think 1994 was the first time the world cup was ever held outside of these two continents (with the exception of Mexico, of course), and 2002 was the first time it was ever held in Asia. There was always some negotiations and trade-offs involved, as you can see from the Wikipedia site. In 1966, for example, when they decided about three world cups at once, Germany and Spain retracted in favor of each other, guaranteeing Germany would get to host the 1974 world cup and Spain the 1982 world cup.

As for profitability, it seems that especially in Korea they now have a lot of oversized stadiums nobody uses to full capacity. But as far as Germany is concerned, there is no worry: attendance figures for the Bundesliga have been high, and with the exception of Leipzig, the only venue in East Germany (I don't count Berlin), all the stadiums are Bundesliga stadiums. I think the federal government only provided funds for the stadiums in Leipzig and Berlin (which had to upgrade its 1936 Olympics stadium to fulfill the requirements set by FIFA). And so far the stadiums have been full. Even the relatively unimportant game I went to, Ecuador v Costa Rica was sold out with 50K people. Well, let me put it this way: any world cup that is held in Europe or South America will not have to worry about attendance, because that's where the buck stops in soccer. These two regions are the regions whose soccer is strongest and are willing to spend a lot of money on soccer (and this is true even more so for Europe, you can see this from the fact that most Brazilian top players play for European clubs), so this alone would guarantee that you would always have more paying fans willing to go than there are seats. The lottery here in Germany was totally crazy. The problem in Korea & Japan and also in South Africa is that these countries are too far away from these regions, but there was also the ticket mismanagement problem incurred by FIFA. And another concern for South Africa is that nowadays the FIFA has laid out so many requirements for hosting a world cup (including some increased security post-911) that this has seriously thinned the circle of nations that would actually be able to do this. But of course the US would be a prime candidate. Also it's only six hours from Western Europe to the East Coast, which is a popular destination for Europeans, so you would have a lot of European fans coming over combining this with a nice vacation. I mean they have specials sometimes, 200 Euros for a return flight Duesseldorf-New York, I wish they'd do that for Houston...

But one last thought: by the far the largest source of income for the FIFA is sponsoring and the television rights. Since the financially most lucrative market is Europe, the time zone matters. In Asia, you couldn't hold a match during European prime time, but in the Western hemisphere, this would work, although it would get hot for the players. IIRC, as long as certain minimal requirements are fulfilled, the FIFA will supplement funds for the stadiums. The OC here is stressing all the time that no government money was used for organising the world cup at all, although it costs around 1 billion Euro to hold one. So of course the question is by whose standards was the 1994 world cup the most lucrative? For the hosting government? The FIFA, as far as surplus is concerned? (They rely on the surplus for all other tournaments that can't pay for themselves like the youth world cup, the women's world cup and the like)...

OK, as my ramblings above weren't really very convincing due to the lack of any figures, I finally found something here, a break down of costs and revenues etc. from this site:

* 3.7 billion Euros by the federal government for infrastructure such as roads, probably including many projects that would have been due anyway

* 1.82 billion Euros revenues for the FIFA:

o 1.2 billion Euros for television licenses

o 360 million (ca. 26 mio average) paid by the 15 FIFA sponsors

o 200 millionen Euros entrance fees

o 60 million Euros by the six national sponsors

* 1.5 billion Euros is the estimated economic profit for the whole German economy.

o the revenues in tourism are forecast to increase by 7% to 25 billion

* 1.38 billion Euros for the 12 stadiums (six were newly built, five were rebuilt., the rest were extended or modernized). But usually the soccer clubs were paying for it. For instance, 342 million were paid for the new stadium in Munich, which were financed by a banking consortium and Bavaria Munich, although the state provided an additional 210 million in infrastructure (which are not part of the costs here). I'll just leave the info for the various stadiums untranslated. Neubau stands for new stadium, Umbau for rebuilding.

o 342 Millionen Euro f

the '94 World Cup remains the most profitable % wise(made vs spent), most well attended, and most merchandise units sold. Of course today's dollars would make the last two profit more money. Look at what you listed and how much Germany has had to spend. Consider that they have as good of a set of stadiums as you will find outside of the U.S. in one nation. To get to this level, South Africa will have to spend similar amounts, or more to do this. They are even trying to outdo Germany with a couple of what I'd term as super stadiums. Germany is one of the biggest economic powers in the world. I don't know where South Africa ranks, but I never see them on such a list. Have you seen the stadiums in their bid? They are spending serious money to upgrade existing and build some new stadiums. If that's all Germany makes, I fear South Africa will come out in the red.

Then we are talking about South America. Shouldn't the winning country be announced NOW or even YESTERDAY? There isn't nearly the stadium infrastructure in South America that you have in Germany or even at the level of South Africa. Texas seriously could outdo every South American country right now. Remember, FIFA has stadium regulations. You can't just throw up anything or play anywhere. I know FIFA wants to go with the global thinking, but they have to be realistic about this. I'm not saying to exactly bring it to the US or back to Europe in 2014, but maybe you should look at China( decent stadium infrastructure with a couple that are breathtaking and about 10-15 nice ones overall) They would still need upgrading for some.

I'm not saying to exactly bring it to the US or back to Europe in 2014, but maybe you should look at China( decent stadium infrastructure with a couple that are breathtaking and about 10-15 nice ones overall) They would still need upgrading for some.

On a selfish note, I hated having the games so late in the evening or early in the morning. Hell, I have to work don't I.

I would love another World cup in USA. I think South America may beat us to it since they have not had it awhile.

the '94 World Cup remains the most profitable % wise(made vs spent), most well attended, and most merchandise units sold. Of course today's dollars would make the last two profit more money. Look at what you listed and how much Germany has had to spend. Consider that they have as good of a set of stadiums as you will find outside of the U.S. in one nation.

Well, I

• 7 months later...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...812&cc=5901

The USSF announced today that the US is indeed pursuing the 2018 World Cup, and should South America fail to produce a worthy bid, could win the 2014 bid instead. In both instances, Houston's considered to be a front-runner as a host city for the world's biggest tournament. Arlington wasn't mentioned, but I'm sure they also have a bid as well. 12 stadium sites would be in stadium-plan for the bid.

For 2018, England, China, Australia, Netherlands/Luxemburg, and Spain are all gunning for the games thus far, but there will probably be more announced. For 2014, Brazil's the front-runner, but if it isn't there, it will either be in Colombia or the U.S.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ts/4589818.html

Another possible development. Sepp Blatter (FIFA's president) said today that there may be a more expanded rotation announced, meaning CONACAF and Asia may be the next two regions to host a World Cup. If CONACAF is next (which it most likely would be since we hosted in '94 and Korea/Japan hosted in 2002), then the United States would just about be guaranteed to host again in 2018!

And if the U.S. hosts in 2018, with Reliant Stadium, possible Astrodome Hotel, and downtown developments, Houston would have a marginal chance at landing a spot as one of the host cities.

In 94 when the US hosted, Houston was snubbed for hosting to Dallas (i believe the cotton bowl), but of course all we had then was the Astrodome. I think with our increasing Soccer profile we should be included as one of the hosts. In 94 I think there were 8 host cities with the finals at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA. One thing to consider though is by this time in 2014 or 2018, the $1 Billion Dallas Cowboys Stadium will be completed in Arlington. With that price tag you have to assume it will be spectacular and may dwarf Reliant. Will they pick just one Texas city again? Anyways getting ahead of ourselves...

With that price tag you have to assume it will be spectacular and may dwarf Reliant.

It has more seats but less suites.

And it's in Arlington. I really think that's going to come back to haunt them.

Think about that. Arlington! You can't even Google image serach Arlington see the city. That says a lot right there.

• 1 year later...
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/AP.../D902H7OO0.html

Houston to host first World Cup qualifying match

Belize and Mexico will meet in the first World Cup qualifying match held in Houston on June 15 at Reliant Stadium.

This is a CONCACAF qualifying game that Belize is hosting here as the home team because they don't have suitable facilities themselves. I would suspect, however, that the US national team may indeed play 1 or 2 qualifying matches here later in the process, provided they get past Bermuda in the first round ;). It's also likely they we may host a couple more qualifying matches for other sides as well, since many of the smaller countries in CONCACAF are in the same boat as Belize when it comes to facilities.

As far as the OP, UEFA will get it in 2018 (Probably England as France (1998), Italy (1990), Germany (2006), and Spain (1982) have all hosted much more recently than England (1966), although Russia, Turkey, Greece, or Poland/Ukraine might also be a possibility). The next possible time for the US to host will be 2022, but Australia and Mexico also have interest and dibs, too.

When the US finally does get it, it's VERY likely that Houston will be designated a host city given how huge a soccer town we have shown ourselves to be, with the Dynamo's success and the multiple international matches that we've hosted the past few years, but that's a long long way down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

While I would love to see Houston and the US for that matter get the World Cup. I believe that they would have to spread it out across the Football Stadiums. The SSS are just way to small to accommodate the size crowd needed. Just look at the sizes of Stadiums that were at WC 94;

Rose BowlPontiac SilverdomeStanford StadiumGiants StadiumCitrus BowlCapacity: 91,000Capacity: 80,000Capacity: 80,000Capacity: 77,000Capacity: 70,000

Soldier FieldCotton BowlFoxboro StadiumRFK StadiumCapacity: 67,000Capacity: 67,000Capacity: 61,000Capacity: 57,000

Now with all the new stadiums being built over the next 5 to 10 years it could become a reality that we host it again, but since it has only been 14 years since the last WC on American soil, I don't see it happening within the next 20 years.

• 1 year later...

Getting the WC could really be worth trying for. We already have the stadium (I hope they wouldn't expect a bigger one, but I guess I wouldn't doubt it), so there wouldn't be all that worthless spending; or at least as much. Let's get the vote out.

2708 people have signed the petition so far. That aint gonna cut it.

HOUSTON—Houston and Harris County have advanced in the running to host soccer’s World Cup in 2018 or 2022, that is, if the United States is chosen to host the event.

The U.S. has now selected Houston and 26 other cities that will be considered should it win out over other countries.

Right now, the U.S. Bidding Committee wants to see what kind of support each city has at home.

If you want the world cup to come here, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett and other officials are asking you to vote for Houston/Harris County.

If the World Cup does come here, it could bring anywhere from $400 to $600 million into the economy.

http://www.khou.com/....246c3c749.html

Archived