Heights Home Questions

Good Afternoon All,

hope your day goes well !

Will someone please provide feedback, ideas, or experiences on the following :

Does red wood mulch attract termites ?

How can you check for termites ? Is it recommended for a yearly check of termites on a wood

bungalow home ?

What is an avg cost for checkup and treatment ?

Do all residential security systems require to have a phone line ?

Thank You

"make it a great day"

Good Afternoon All,

How can you check for termites ? Is it recommended for a yearly check of termites on a wood

bungalow home ?

Thank You

"make it a great day"

Mulch itself will attract insects because it retains moisture. Having moisture under your home frequently is bad say most termite inspectors. I had to redo my entire drainage in order to prevent moisture from getting under my home. was a big task.

Visually is the best way to check for termites...check for mud tunnels going up your piers. you can also see the damage that they make fairly easily. since you're wood is most likely older and of better quality that structures built today, it takes longer for them to do as much damage. In Houston, having a yrly inspection is good period.

cost is dependent on size of home , current state of termite activity etc.

phone isn't required. i know they can utilize internet phones, i think they can use coax lines for cable as well. i believe you would ahve to c ontact specific companies for their specifics.

Termites are an issue in the Heights for multiple reasons: age of home, pier & beam, old trees, humid/wet conditions, etc. etc. If I had to guess, over 90% of homes in the Heights have had termites, or will have termites.

We tented our house before we moved in 5 years ago. The termite guy mentioned that in our area, it's wise to have your house inspected once every year or two.

In our case, we had the house tented and then noticed about three years after that we had termites on the south east side of our house. Now we have the underground "bait" systems which after the major treamtment, is suitable for our condtion...and is apx. 1/2 the cost of the tenting. They are green compartments that they place all along the perimeter of the house underground. The termite inspector then comes for a visit every few months to add more bait, inspect the progress, etc., etc.

It's important to learn about the differences in the two main types of termites that most home owners encounter...that will determine the speed in which you should act upon treatment. Most forms of treatment run between 1-3K, depending on what your situation requires. Hopefully others will have some additional info on the topic. Good luck!

We use ADT and while it does utilize the phone line to call out on a burglary/fire or panic, we also had a cell phone backup installed so if the phone is out of service or even cut, it dials out on a cell phone.

Most alarm companies (like Brinks or ADT) will use a land line (with the cell backup option). Other companies use cable modem internet or coax cable like Time Warner.

Good Morning,

hope you have a great day !

Should I then remove the mulch in your opinion ?

Need to replace my shower knobs Hot and Cold has no diverter. When we remodled

the old knobs were lost and unable to tell what brand name the handles are ?

I have played the guessing game trying on several knobs Streamway,Gerber , Phoenix

and nothing and I am unable to remove the handle frame since I have already layed tiles.

What can I do please ?

Thank You

remove mulch? Not necessarily. You'll have to be more diligent with your termite inspections if you do leave the mulch. Really ANYthing that allows moisture to remain i.e. lots of shade, north side of house, etc.

I think you have a dilemma with the shower. I wouldn't have tiled unless I had all the parts for the shower valve. when you say you have no diverter, what exactly are you saying? do you want to add a diverter for a shower head? i'm not sure what you meant when you said you had to remove the handle frame either.

One other question i should ask is whether you can access the valve from the other side of the wall? many homes have trap doors so one can easily access from the other side.

Thank You !

Any reputable company to use for termite inspection ?

Will they have to go under the house to inspect?

Seems almost like a trade off No Shade and No Mulch for plants but minimal termites ??

Yes, I learned the hard way I tiled around the valve stem now unable to locate or confirm

which shower knobs I need

Thank You !

Any reputable company to use for termite inspection ?

Will they have to go under the house to inspect?

Seems almost like a trade off No Shade and No Mulch for plants but minimal termites ??

Yes, I learned the hard way I tiled around the valve stem now unable to locate or confirm

which shower knobs I need

My parents use ABC pest control. you can get a 5 yr plan for so much. to do a proper inspection they will have to go under house. if it isn't easily accessible they (or you) can dig between two piers. you can usually fit under unless your house is really low.

removing mulch doesn't guarantee you won't have termites. i'm just saying if you have excessive shade and things remain wet and you have mulch you should make regular inspections yourself. you definitely see the mud trails going up piers. At my parents, i could actually hear them. But i have really good hearing. i know a couple of yr laters i heard them again and they called the company and they did find them again. The company rep didn't believe i could hear them but i definitely heard something.

sorry about the shower stuff...either you'll have to remove tile or go in from the back of the valve.

We did not choose the bait systems, but the spray. It is the same pesticide that is used in the flea treatment placed on the back of your pet's neck...obviously stronger. Our research showed this works better.

I've seen plenty dead little guys since treatment. They'll be inspecting again in June.

Good luck.

Good Afternoon All,

bungalow home ?

Thank You

"make it a great day"

Thank You

"make it a great day"

****Here is what my husband's research found:

Nextalarm supports broadband but it is considered unreliable at BEST.

I would never use it. I now know the intimate details about how they do it, it it should be avoided altogether. There are some other solutions for broadband that are somewhat better, but wireless is best.

There are many systems that use the cellular network. They are cheap but apparently the response time can be several minutes. Also, the cellular (AMPS) network is going away in March 2008, so it doesn't make sense to buy such a system anymore. The vendors will not tell you this...which is quite annoying. The cheapest unit is about $125.

There are some newer units that use the GSM network. The equipment cost is around $200. One is called the Uplink DigiCell AnyNET. I don't know about the response time. In theory it should be OK.

With any of the wireless systems it will cost about an extra $10/month for monitoring, above what normal phone-based monitoring costs.

The other downside to these wireless alarm transmitters is that they only transmit burglary or fire events, whereas a phone line based system can send "user xxx disarmed" or "burglary at kitchen window" or even "replace battery" ... a wireless sytem will only get you "burglary!!!" and that is why they are generally recommended for use as backups, not primary ...

There are some very expensive units that can transmit the full monty wirelessly by emulating the modem at the central station, capturing the data, and then retransmitting it over the network. I'm not sure if anyone makes a model that does that, that will work past March 2008.

Good Afternoon All,

my porch is made of cement and I removed what was some artficial grass or some type of

carpet that was green the type you see on miniture golf courses and noticied a crack on the

porch to the steps ? Is this foundation problem ? The house is block and beam .

What is the most economical way to repair or cover up ?

Good Afternoon All,

my porch is made of cement and I removed what was some artficial grass or some type of

carpet that was green the type you see on miniture golf courses and noticied a crack on the

I don't know, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the crack in the steps means a problem with the other footings necessarily. Steps could move independently depending on how they're constructed. In most houses around the area, the steps are a semi-separate structure.

Good Afternoon All,

that green fake grass capet is call "astroturff", which became famous and renamed as such after being installed in the Astrodome in 1966... that's a piece of Houston history you removed :blink:

How big is the crack? You should be able to patch it and then paint over it. It may not be perfect, but I'm sure it will look better than what you started with. I'd go to Home Depot and ask them what to do.

that green fake grass capet is call "astroturff", which became famous and renamed as such after being installed in the Astrodome in 1966... that's a piece of Houston history you removed :blink:

How big is the crack? You should be able to patch it and then paint over it. It may not be perfect, but I'm sure it will look better than what you started with. I'd go to Home Depot and ask them what to do.

I heard that Kwal paint on Shepherd has some pretty durable porch paint. Just another possibility.

Also any feedback or estimate cost for driveway since mine currently is grass and

dirt ?

Thank You

I've been going through the torture of trying to get my driveway paved for FOUR months. I'll spare you the details of contractors running off with down payments, workers stealing tools from the garage and friends going into rehab just prior to pouring the concrete. Suffice to say, get good referrals. Expect quotes in the neighborhood of $5 per square foot of finished driveway, due to high demand and increased material costs.

Additionally, a city permit IS required. Any contractor who says otherwise, is trying to shortcut the job, and will probably do so in places you can't see. City requires 6 inch deep concrete on their ROW, as well as 24 inch diameter culverts in the ditch (if curb and gutter, disregard), and 12 foot wide approach.

Wow great . . . Shepard and what cross street ?

I think Kwal paint is actually on Durham just north of Washington and before 1-10.

Somewhere around the railroad tracks

btw, most paint stores and home improvement stores sell porch paint...but I can't vouch for one's quality over any other one.

Edited by gnu

I think Kwal paint is actually on Durham just north of Washington and before 1-10.

Somewhere around the railroad tracks

btw, most paint stores and home improvement stores sell porch paint...but I can't vouch for one's quality over any other one.

That's the one. It is on Durham, just south of th rr tracks.

I am planning to repaint my porch. We asked our interior paint people and they said Kwal has the right stuff. This is a self-serving pursuit. We want to repaint the porch one time for many years of use.

Also, I find that independent stores will explain all the ins and outs of doing the job properly and for best results. I'm sure HD sells a perfectly good product. I like the customer support I get at the smaller places -- so I pay for it when I can.

That's the one. It is on Durham, just south of th rr tracks.

I am planning to repaint my porch. We asked our interior paint people and they said Kwal has the right stuff. This is a self-serving pursuit. We want to repaint the porch one time for many years of use.

Also, I find that independent stores will explain all the ins and outs of doing the job properly and for best results. I'm sure HD sells a perfectly good product. I like the customer support I get at the smaller places -- so I pay for it when I can.

I am all for supporting the little guy too - especially versus the big box stores. i just wanted them to know that "Porch Paint" wasn't necessarily a unique product to Kwal Paint. Other "little guy" paint stores probably have it too :)

I am all for supporting the little guy too - especially versus the big box stores. i just wanted them to know that "Porch Paint" wasn't necessarily a unique product to Kwal Paint. Other "little guy" paint stores probably have it too :)

I'm sure you're right, but I really trust my interior paint provider. I'll have to contact them again b/c I can't remember the details, but they said that Kwal sells a porch paint that is extra-specially good. It issupposed to be something unique and Definitive knew that Kwal has the stuff.

Since my run-of-the-mill porch paint lasted .5 seconds, I'm going to try to follow their advice.

I'm sure you're right, but I really trust my interior paint provider. I'll have to contact them again b/c I can't remember the details, but they said that Kwal sells a porch paint that is extra-specially good. It issupposed to be something unique and Definitive knew that Kwal has the stuff.

Since my run-of-the-mill porch paint lasted .5 seconds, I'm going to try to follow their advice.

sorry..i didn't understand that Kwal paint has a special product.

good deal then, if you have experience with it, I will support your recommendation ^_^

sorry..i didn't understand that Kwal paint has a special product.

good deal then, if you have experience with it, I will support your recommendation ^_^

Lol. The product could be pointless and no better than anything else...I'll let you know. My desperate need to paint once, use many has me set up as a willing victim. :)

Great Feedback and Thank You !

How difficult or challenging to obtain a permit ? What will be required a fee, engineering drawing , waiting list , or since my home is older require more time than the actual work ?

Will I also need a permit to add a small deck in the back ?

What are the consequences if no permit is obtained or too challenging to get a permit ??

Thank You

Generally speaking, getting a permit isn't hard just tedious. Go to 3300 Main, walk through the front door and ask one of the technical help folks to [wake up and] give you some help. To get a permit for a driveway approach, sidewalk, or curb, you have to have a bond with the City of Houston. The thinking is that you are doing work in the public right of way and if it isn't done properly, the city has some recourse to fix the shoddy workmanship. It doesn't apply if you do the driveway only, just the curb cut/approach.

Red's $5/sf is a good working number for a home owner. We buy it a little cheaper but we buy a lot of it.

I can't think of a reason you need a permit for a deck since there are no occupant safety concerns with it.

Don't get caught building without a permit. It is time consuming and costly to rectify and the COH inspectors are everywhere in The Heights due to all the new construction.

Question if my driveway is right next to my home and I dont plan to extend pass the sidewalk towards the street will I still need a permit since the driveway is not an occupant safety issue ?

Is this a target price range I should pay for a driveway ?

"Red's $5/sf is a good working number for a home owner. We buy it a little cheaper but we buy a lot of it."

Thank You

Question if my driveway is right next to my home and I dont plan to extend pass the sidewalk towards the street will I still need a permit since the driveway is not an occupant safety issue ?

Is this a target price range I should pay for a driveway ?

"Red's $5/sf is a good working number for a home owner. We buy it a little cheaper but we buy a lot of it."

Thank You

The City wants you to get a permit for ANY construction, including driveways. they even want you to get a permit when the wax seal on your toilet is replaced. Most don't do it and I know when i put in new tile floors I didn't get a permit to replace the toilet.

sometimes the permits are good esp when codes are updated. for instance, the City recently updated codes on return air ducts. It now requires 18" return air ducts on 3 ton units. If you didn't get a permit, most a/c guys would probably put in 16"

Edited by musicman

A permit for a deck is required if the finished floor height is over 24 inches (I think). If it is in the backyard, though, don't worry about it.

Responding to jgs, COH did not require a bond for my driveway permit. Likely, because I have a ditch, not a curb.. You will need drawings, but I think you can get away with drawing it yourself, if all of the info required is on there. There is nothing tough about getting the permit, as jgs said, it is tedious. I spent about 3.5 hours waiting for 30 minutes of actual consultation. Bring reading material.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon All,

Just to confirm the following so if I am wanting a driveway and I do have a ditch I will

need a permit and professional specifications from an engineer ?

Will the inspector have to come out to my home to review the driveway to approve ?

Also another question am I right to assume I will have to replace a washer

if when I turn on the hot handle for shower it leaks ?

And I guess if there is tile all round I better also buy some tiles to replace ?

Thank You