Beachtown Galveston Underway

• 2 weeks later...
you really want to see galveston fail huh?

After mentioning hurricanes in six seperate posts in one day....yeah, seems that way.

Hurricanes are a fact of life for much of coastal America, but they're not an annual occurence. Miami Beach was nearly wiped out in 1926, yet most people would agree that rebuilding it was a gamble that paid off. Likewise, hauling in sand to replace its beach which had mostly disappeared by the late 60's turned out to be worthwhile, and essential to MB's revival.

you really want to see galveston fail huh?

Actually no I do not want to see the place fail at all. I just want them to start building with a little sense. the vast majority of the older original buildings were built out of stone, brick or concrete. The builders knew that the place would be hit by major storms from time to time so they built them strong. None of the newer buildings are built to the same standards. It is a major disaster just waiting to happen.

I just want people to wake up to that fact before someone gets killed. Over a 1000 people died in the 1900 storm. I do not want to see that happen again. I guess I am probably being a little over cautious but it is the truth.

• 1 year later...

Any predictions for this community? Seems pretty underrated for the scale of the project. I was checking out the website and it looks like the community will be based on three squares: The Beachtown Square, The East Village Square, and The West Villae Square. Each will be mixed use.

Here ae some new renderings I found on the website

agn5.jpg

aakv8.jpg

aa2jw8.jpg

aa3la4.jpg

aa4hx6.jpg

aa7gw3.jpg

aa9ef2.jpg

The first homes are for sale on har.com

• 5 months later...
Does anyone know what kind of progress is being made here?

This is from the Beachtown site's news section;

Upcoming News

Thursday, February 1, 2007

The next edition of Beachtown Town News is scheduled to be released on February 14th 2007.

I guess you might want to check on Valentines day!

I love Galveston and spent a huge part of my life there. I still go there frequently and am very glad to see new projects going in to improve the area. That said I don't see the sense in building this type of community in front of the seawall. I wish that no hurricanes would ever hit the Texas Coast again. I live 30 miles from Galveston and am scared to death whenever a hurricane enters the Gulf. I am pragmatic and after just going through the insuring process for my home see the disaster both in terms of human life and fiancial loss that could be looming on the horizon. My insurer basically dumped me this year. They said sure I'll give you homeowners insurance but we exclude wind, water, and hailstorm damage. The translation, no hurricane insurance. I live in the northern tip of Brazoria County which means I live in a level 1 coastal county. No one will write insurance there and therefore the state mandadited that a seperate insurance pool be created to insure homes in that area. If you sell homeowners insurance in Texas you are required to participate in the pool. The current pool has $300 million in it while a cat 5 hurricane making a direct hit on the Galveston area would generate according to computer models in excess of $6 billion of damage. Now when you take the non level 1 areas in the pool out of the mix your still left with around $4 billion of damage in the level 1 area. That means that insurers would need to pay $4 billion in claims witha pool of $300 million. The state has said that individual insurance companies would have to make up the shortfall based on the percentage of the pool they sold. For example Farmers who has written about 7% of the business in the pool would have to come up with $280 million. Yeah right! These insurance companies would be stalling and baling out left and right. That means no coverage for the effected, and then the only alternative would be the government and they would have to bail us out. I have no problem with people building things anywhere they want, but if they take a risky position based on the likelyhood of hurricanes then they should bear the risk, or pay the fair value of the risk. How this relates to me is that these new houses on the beach will be paying the same rates I will for insurance. Yet they sit on an unprotected beach on the Gulf of Mexico while I live in Pearland farther inland that parts of Harris County that are Level II risks and can still buy storm insurance outside the pool.

Great project, wonderful for Galveston, but very unfair in the manner that the risks associated with construction at that location will be allocated to everyone even those who are not taking that risk.

Galveston isn't Seaside. It's a barrier island. When you build a community like this, one has to wonder why the seawall was built at all. Expect it to be completely wiped out in a cat 3 hurricane, mainly due to surge. Hurricane Alicia produced 7.5' of surge on the Gulf side of the island. The Army Corps of Engineers said that without the seawall, Alicia could have easily swept two blocks' worth of homes into the sea.

So what are they thinking? Doesn't sound like they are, at all.

Galveston isn't Seaside. It's a barrier island. When you build a community like this, one has to wonder why the seawall was built at all. Expect it to be completely wiped out in a cat 3 hurricane, mainly due to surge. Hurricane Alicia produced 7.5' of surge on the Gulf side of the island. The Army Corps of Engineers said that without the seawall, Alicia could have easily swept two blocks' worth of homes into the sea.

So what are they thinking? Doesn't sound like they are, at all.

It wasn't "wiped out" in Alicia's fury in 1983. Damage, yes, but Galveston has survived lots of storms.

This is from the Beachtown site's news section;

Upcoming News

Thursday, February 1, 2007

The next edition of Beachtown Town News is scheduled to be released on February 14th 2007.

I guess you might want to check on Valentines day!

Thanks for the info, but I guess they're running behind because I just went there and didn't see any news for February. Maybe I missed it?

This is a development by Tofghi Sherazi, who gets the Patience of Job award for having the patience to wade through 10 years of permits and approvals in order to get this started.

I agree, they need an award. Doing business and getting permits with the City of Galveston is a challenge in itself. My builder

swore to never do another job in Galveston, and it was just a 1200 sq/ft shopping center build out.

Beg pardon, I didn't say it was wiped out in Hurricane Alicia. Please read my post again.

I am not disagreeing that a Cat 4 could come thru (didn't something like that happen to Galveston in 1906?); but Galveston has been fortunate for the last 50 or so years so I guess builders say go for it. It does appear that the homes are well built and high enough where water would flow underneath during a storm. Personally, unless I was really rich, I would rather buy something on say the 15th floor down there. But I have to admit, Beachtown is very cool.

Archived