Bird Flu...

sevfiv

what is the real deal here?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/3834465.html

The Bush administration forecasts massive disruptions if bird flu or some other super-strain of influenza arises in the United States. A response plan scheduled to be released at the White House on Wednesday warns employers that as much as 40 percent of the work force could be off the job and says every segment of society must prepare.

x21afl.jpg

well, then, I'm a dope. It worries me. Not enough that I'm not willing to eat fried chicken (yum) but enough that I really want a bunch of smart scientists to have alot of money to figure out a vaccine!

A really nasty NEW viral strain could make a lot of people sick (note, sick, not tragically dying while bleeding from pores and foaming at the mouth). If it hit hard and fast, I do believe that 40% or more of the work force could be unable to work for a time. have you ever had the flu? you can't work through that!

thing is, few people will have immunity to a new virus, so it would spread very quickly. unlike the flu viruses that we have already been exposed to that many people have resistance to.

wether it is big bird or curious george that is carrying it, I don't really care. Any new virus scares me.

I probably should be a bit more concerned than I am. Working at the Criminal Courthouse brings one into contact with some of the poorest citizens, least likely to have the resources to combat a virus. Plus, the crowds that jam the plazas and elevators to be in court by 9:00 am are huge. It is not uncommon to have 20 people on an elevator at once. You cannot move until it gets to the upper floors. None of that 3 foot space here.

My neighbor is very concerned. He talks of hoarding food and water, not so much because of crowds at the supermarket, but because food supplies may be severely curtailed. I'll stock up for hurricane season, but probably not for this...I'll just mooch off the neighbor. :lol:

One thing is for sure. If it does strike, the financially over-extended will get hurt bad. If 40% of the work force stays home, 40% of business drops off, restaurants, stores, bars, etc. But, at least gas prices will drop.

Recently the Secretary of HHS said we should prepare by stocking up on canned tuna. Be prepared to shelter in place for three weeks even if you are not sick.

No mention of that in this article. Why would we even risk the 60% who would be going to work?

It reminded me of when the Secrectary of Homeland Security told us to all buy duct tape.

As long as our fearless leaders are in charge, why worry?

I'm clean. I've been scanned for both SARS and Bird Flu about six times this year. And somehow I STILL managed to bring a scary bug back from China.

I must be getting old. I never got sick before. Now I've gotten three exotic infections in two years.

What's up with China, anyway?

SARS, Bird Flu, civet coffee, organ farming, etc.

Things that make you go hmmmmm....

A billion and a half people. Most living in poverty. Many who keep livestock INSIDE their houses, and sleep next to them. And for whom basic sanitation is not only not an option, it's not even a thought.

Things they sell on the street to eat in the United States:

Hot Dogs.

Tacos.

Knishes.

Fallafel.

Things they sell on the street to eat in China:

Pig eyes.

Snake's blood.

Bird nests made out of dried bird spit.

Dog.

Many times these items aren't cooked at all, let alone cooked enough to kill diseases.

Guest danax
A billion and a half people. Most living in poverty. Many who keep livestock INSIDE their houses, and sleep next to them. And for whom basic sanitation is not only not an option, it's not even a thought.

Things they sell on the street to eat in the United States:

Hot Dogs.

Tacos.

Knishes.

Fallafel.

Things they sell on the street to eat in China:

Pig eyes.

Snake's blood.

Bird nests made out of dried bird spit.

Dog.

Many times these items aren't cooked at all, let alone cooked enough to kill diseases.

Ever been to Chengdu? I have a penpal who works in a teahouse there. I was thinking about visiting her.

Thanks for the tip on the street vendors. I might've decided to go native and "do as the Romans do" if I ever go. I'll stick with recognizable foods now.

Ever been to Chengdu? I have a penpal who works in a teahouse there. I was thinking about visiting her.

Thanks for the tip on the street vendors. I might've decided to go native and "do as the Romans do" if I ever go. I'll stick with recognizable foods now.

Nope. Never been. But I bet they have even freakier stuff than I saw.

Nope. Never been. But I bet they have even freakier stuff than I saw.

The tale of two Chinas. Exactly why I question the assumptoin by some that China is destined to be the next world superpower.

I think they'll see a revolution first.

Just too many have-nots. And the haves enjoy economic freedom but lack everything else that should come with it.

The tale of two Chinas. Exactly why I question the assumptoin by some that China is destined to be the next world superpower.

I think they'll see a revolution first.

Just too many have-nots. And the haves enjoy economic freedom but lack everything else that should come with it.

something like that ;););)

Archived