Miss Deaf Texas killed

KimberlySayWhat

On a serious note, I never heard of the Miss Deaf Texas pagent. Is this a Texas only thing? Is it a real pagent, or just more of a spokeperson's position towards deaf advocacy?

I was wondering the same thing.

Also, the story hit a nerve when I thought of all the railtracks we have in Houston, and all the accidents already with our light rail. Are there enough warning signals, and is it an issue worth talking about?

On a serious note, I never heard of the Miss Deaf Texas pagent. Is this a Texas only thing? Is it a real pagent, or just more of a spokeperson's position towards deaf advocacy?

looks like it national, from chron:

She was scheduled to compete in the national pageant in California this year.

This story has been on the Austin news stations for two days now. There is something to this story that is either not known for sure or is not being reported. I have a strong suspicion this was not an accident, bit I do not think there was foul play involved.

This story has been on the Austin news stations for two days now. There is something to this story that is either not known for sure or is not being reported. I have a strong suspicion this was not an accident, bit I do not think there was foul play involved.

You mean the "was text messaging" part has bene on the news for two days ?

If not an accident and not foul play, is Austin news suggesting suicide ?

I was still typing when you posted that bit of information. I had not heard that before about the text messaging.

There have been comments made, like that she was having trouble raising funds to go to the national pageant, but no speculation as to if that was a factor. Mostly it is just a gut feeling I have from listening to all the reports.

Mainly, I can

Mainly, I can’t imaging how anyone could not feel a train coming no matter how distracted they were. It just doesn’t make sense. However, I hope I am wrong about my feelings.

Reminds me of the light rail/pedestrian accident a month or so ago. A blind pedestrian was struck by a train while crossing the street near Main Street Station. His explanation was that he thought he was on Travis, not Main.

Was suprised that he would confuse the two, especially since that area has so many fountains, different traffic patterns, and tracks are imbedded in the street.

Bottom line is we're all liable to err regardless of sensory impairments, and protection for pedestrians is largely a matter of self preservation. This is part of the reason that I'm quite humorless about red light runners.

• 2 weeks later...

:(

What you read is very true. The accident did happen. Tara, Miss Deaf Texas, was unfortunately text messaging while walking along the railroad tracks and not paying attention. The snowplow attached to the front of the train is extended approximately 16 inches on each side over the metal tracks, and that was what hit Tara, killing her. Yes, I agree she shouldn't have been text messaging, but she did.

I hope the above will teach not only the deaf people, but the public as well, a lesson not to text message while in action such as walking, driving, etc.

Yes, there are pageants for deaf women all over the country. Some states may not have pageants due to finances. For more information, please check http://www.nad.org. They will host a national conference in Palm Springs, California, this summer, and the Miss Deaf America pageant will be held at that time. The reason you never heard about us is because we never receive such publicity like Miss America or Miss USA does.

Yes, I am deaf. I just came across this forum and read all your messages. I am very sad to read those negative remarks.

I hope the above will teach not only the deaf people, but the public as well, a lesson not to text message while in action such as walking, driving, etc.

Welcome to HAIF, LoveMy2Bostons.

I absolutely agree that text messaging and other electronic devices have become a real hazard. From distracted drivers to inattentive pedestrians to unwitting young women abducted from parking lots, the cause too often can be traced to people who think they can safely 'multitask'. Sadly, this is not the case.

Yes, I am deaf. I just came across this forum and read all your messages. I am very sad to read those negative remarks.

Please point out the remarks in question and explain why they're negative.

Archived