Traffic In The Museum District This Past Weekend

Sunday I tried taking my daughter to the zoo and traffic in the area was a nightmare. The main entrance to the zoo was not reachable because all the streets to it were closed. Anybody know what is going on to make it so miserable down there? Or any secrets on how to get a good parking spot within reasonable walking distance?

Sunday I tried taking my daughter to the zoo and traffic in the area was a nightmare. The main entrance to the zoo was not reachable because all the streets to it were closed. Anybody know what is going on to make it so miserable down there? Or any secrets on how to get a good parking spot within reasonable walking distance?

During spring break and on nice weekends it gets crazy, we park in the MFA parking garage and take the Light Rail.

They close off the streets when the lots get to capacity.

Edited by gnu

Yes, that stretch between fannin and main is really bad now. Last time I walked past there they had a fire pit going and everything. Some of the trellised pavillions in the park seem to be perferred bunk houses for the homeless as well. My daughter got off her noisy swing because she was afraid of waking the 'rag man'.

i drove down past the Zoo on MacGregor Sunday afternoon. there was more going on other then the normal construction and traffic. on the corner where MacGregor splits to the north (just south of the Zoo), there was a big group of people in uniform, and someone giving a speach with a podium and tons of cameras. not sure what this was for, but they were in the median, and slowing people down quite a bit. between this, constuction, and traffic it was a nightmare.

i drove down past the Zoo on MacGregor Sunday afternoon. there was more going on other then the normal construction and traffic. on the corner where MacGregor splits to the north (just south of the Zoo), there was a big group of people in uniform, and someone giving a speach with a podium and tons of cameras. not sure what this was for, but they were in the median, and slowing people down quite a bit. between this, constuction, and traffic it was a nightmare.

Hmm, not sure what that was. I know there are some New Orleans mayoral speeches going on over last week and the next few days.

The Aids walk was up on Allen Parkway so I doubt it had anything to do with that.

Was that the guys in the median wearing Civil War gear having a picnic and blocking a lane of traffic? WTF was that all about? These were about 12 people in the median having a picnic and drinking etc while a traffic jam occurs around them.

could have been Civil War gear. when i drove by (~2pm) someone was giving a speech, there were cameras and everything (though i didn't see any TV trucks). didn't see any signs of a picnic or drinking, but i was too busy avoiding the people in front of me slamming on the brakes, lanes ending, etc.

i have no idea what it was all about, maybe someone here knows...

speaking of palmer church and main - has anyone notice that the homeless population there has skyrocketed? the esplanade between main and fannin is a major campground...

Shhh! It's part of a catch-and-release program.

They will be relocated to Sugar Land and The Woodlands in order to restore the natural balance.

Was that the guys in the median wearing Civil War gear having a picnic and blocking a lane of traffic? WTF was that all about? These were about 12 people in the median having a picnic and drinking etc while a traffic jam occurs around them.

Maybe it had something to do with Dick Dowling (the guy whose statue stands in the median of N. MacGregor near the entrance to Hermann Park). St. Paddy's Day is near, and Dowling was an Irishman and a Lieutenant in the Confederate Army.

59 was closed between 288 and Shepherd, so probably there was a lot of traffic detouring through the area. Also one of the streets near Hermann Park and MacGregor was closed. I was all through the museum district both Saturday and Sunday and had no problem. Of course, I was on a bike. ^_^

Maybe it had something to do with Dick Dowling (the guy whose statue stands in the median of N. MacGregor near the entrance to Hermann Park). St. Paddy's Day is near, and Dowling was an Irishman and a Lieutenant in the Confederate Army.

that sounds like a pretty good explanation; now that you mention it they were right in front of that statue in the grass. i just didn't know who it was a statue of...

On March 17, 2005, the Dick Dowling Statue in Hermann Park will celebrate the 100th anniversary of its unveiling on St. Patrick

The big problem with weekend traffic in the Museum District right now is due to the closure of Hermann Drive for a new storm sewer to be installed. This, plus the generally busy nature of the Hermann Park/Museum area on nice spring weekends, and extra traffic in the area due to the Rodeo and southbound lanes of US 59 being closed did cause a traffic nightmare in the area this past weekend.

My suggestion is to park downtown or at the Fannin South Park and Ride lot and take MetroRail. You can avoid a lot of stress related to getting around the park and finding a parking space that way.

• The title was changed to Traffic In The Museum District This Past Weekend