May 16, 2024 Storm

editor

Hindesky, I'm curious why the crane came down. Was it not allowed to spin freely or was the wind just too much for it. The reason I ask, is because when I asked you about the crane on top of X being worrisome during a storm you said as long as it was free to spin with the wind it would be ok. Is this a different kind of crane. Not trying to be difficult. Just trying to understand the dynamics. Thanks

35 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Hindesky, I'm curious why the crane came down. Was it not allowed to spin freely or was the wind just too much for it. The reason I ask, is because when I asked you about the crane on top of X being worrisome during a storm you said as long as it was free to spin with the wind it would be ok. Is this a different kind of crane. Not trying to be difficult. Just trying to understand the dynamics. Thanks

That was a crawler crane that collapsed, they don't swing freely in the wind because they could hit something. Ideally if given a heads up that a storm is coming it should have laid down the boom to prevent something like this. Seems as they were working at the time because the concrete truck was on site.

• Like 1

The crane collapse was a crawler crane and actually two cranes fell at the same job site at 75th St @ Wingate. I'm guessing it was at the Sesco Cement plant because the tanks they were building looked to be concrete walled tanks and not the normal steel walled tanks that store crude oil, fuels and chemicals (I worked for a company that built/repaired steel tanks for 15 yrs.).

dtJTiRx.png

BtnF7Uk.png

wyXLG2E.png

Posted (edited)

Texas Concrete worker Francisco Hernandez and a colleague sought shelter in their trucks at a job site in the 7300 block of Wingate, along Buffalo Bayou, as the wind picked up.

“It was so sudden,” said Pablo Bolanos, a plant operator for the company.

Two cranes plunged to the ground as the worst of the storm hit, hitting their respective concrete trucks and landing across the nearby railroad tracks.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/houston-storm-victims-identities-four-dead-19463538.php

Edited by editor
Edited for copyright reasons. Do not copy and paste. Summarize and link.
  • Thanks 1

the windows downtown, it wouldn't surprise me if they were sucked out by pressure.

the wind was consistently blowing from the west to the east in front of my house, and I'm not that far from downtown.

so if the wind is blowing from west to east, then it makes it seem to me that any debris would hit on the west windows.

winds measured in most areas were around 100mph, and downtown, where you get the canyon effect, it wouldn't shock me to hear the speeds were up to 150ish, and indeed a low pressure area sucked all the windows out.

it would be really cool if there were a building that had barometers on all sides of the building, to measure pressure differentials.

Most of the windows facing west on Smith were fine, it was the wrap around winds to got the buildings behind them. Chevron's eastern building got hit with the winds wrapping around Chevron's west building.

we just got power back this afternoon. I checked the CPE outage site when we came back up, we were among the 25000 lucky few who had to wait nearly a week (and some of them will have to wait a week, or more).

I get it, we were residences only, and only 30 of us, and significant damage to the line in numerous places.

oh well, I had needed to get a generator anyway, it runs on propane, so I'll get a kit to make it work on NG, and easy peasy for the next extended power outage.

On 5/20/2024 at 10:41 AM, samagon said:

the windows downtown, it wouldn't surprise me if they were sucked out by pressure.

Nope.  Modern downtown buildings (including their windows) are designed to take wind loads in excess of anything we're likely to see.  Debris hits caused the broken glass - which was much more dramatic after Alicia when flat roofs generally had gravel pressed into the tar.

I was in my 48th floor office when the derecho came through.  Although the building was certainly swaying around (to the point that it was difficult to walk) I wasn't particularly worried, but I did make sure that whoever was still here got out of the perimeter until it blew past.

2 minutes ago, Ross said:

What's the source of those images?

NASA released two images Thursday, the first showing what Houston looked like from space with normal light conditions in April 2024, and the other showing what Houston looked like from space on May 18, two days after the severe weather event. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-weather/article/nasa-before-after-houston-power-outage-derecho-19474554.php

• Thanks 1

I have to give the city credit.  Here we are two weeks after the May 16th storm and by and large most Houstonians had their power restored within a week.  This week the city picked up tree limbs on my street.  I was surprised that 311 actually took my call on May 17th and logged a ticket for a dangerous limb dangling over the sidewalk.  That ticket is still open but the limb has since fallen.  Heavy trash such as wood fences is still littered throughout the neighborhood.  I’ve heard removal estimates of weeks for that.

16 hours ago, hbg.50 said:

I have to give the city credit.  Here we are two weeks after the May 16th storm and by and large most Houstonians had their power restored within a week.  This week the city picked up tree limbs on my street.  I was surprised that 311 actually took my call on May 17th and logged a ticket for a dangerous limb dangling over the sidewalk.  That ticket is still open but the limb has since fallen.  Heavy trash such as wood fences is still littered throughout the neighborhood.  I’ve heard removal estimates of weeks for that.

I remember with Alica in 1983 and Harvey (especially) in 2017 it did take a while to get everything hauled away but it did happen.