The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

Good Afternoon All,

Any word what is being built on Shoe Stand building on Studewood and 13th ?

Also what other streets are getting curbs or new pavement besides Oxford & Columbia ?

Does anyone know completion date for North Main ?

Just wondering if there are more major plans for the Heights ?

Some have mentioned the Heights Theatre , corner building 20th & Studewood,

also those town homes behind Block Buster ????

Thank You

The article below was in the Houston Heights Association's Jan. 2008 Newsletter. I'm guessing they're just running behind schedule.

2008 City of Houston Construction Plans for the Heights

Construction is scheduled to start in May or June on the Hike & Bike trail on Nicholson Street and the old MKT railroad right-of way. By the end of the year, bicyclists should be able to ride from 19th street to downtown Houston on the new trail.

The city's Neighborhood Street Reconstruction Program has scheduled to rebuild portions of Cortlandt St. and Oxford St. in 2008. The project will remove all pavement and rebuild with curbs and gutters. The sections that will be rebuilt are: Cortlandt from White Oak to 11th, 12th to 14th, and 18th to 22nd; Oxford between 15th and 16th streets.

Both of these projects are on my regular walk route and I'm ready for it all to be over with. The Cortlandt project actually extends north of 22nd. They have it torn up to Aurora or 26th or so. I don't understand why they did some sections and not others, though. Is it all about street drainage and some sections drain better than others, so they only fix what needs it? Seems like that would only shift problems from one block to another, but I don't know nothing 'bout drainin' no streets.

I would also like to know any information regarding new streets and curbs for Oxford and Columbia. If anyone knows the details, or rumors, please post them.

Oxford between 14th and 16th is being rebuilt and curbs and drainage are being installed.. One lane is already completed.. the other side should probably be done shortly..

Not sure about other areas of Oxford.. but since I drive/walk/bike by here every day, I'd say this is accurate.. ;)

Both of these projects are on my regular walk route and I'm ready for it all to be over with. The Cortlandt project actually extends north of 22nd. They have it torn up to Aurora or 26th or so. I don't understand why they did some sections and not others, though. Is it all about street drainage and some sections drain better than others, so they only fix what needs it? Seems like that would only shift problems from one block to another, but I don't know nothing 'bout drainin' no streets.

I doubt it's the city taking initiative on its own to try and fix a problem... let's face it, that's just not how Houston works. More likely, is that the residents petitioned the city to have this work completed through the neighborhood street reconstruction program:

http://documents.publicworks.houstontx.gov...nsr-program.htm

However, given the fact that it takes on average at least 7 years from the approval of an application to the start of construction (according to the COH website) the current residents may very well NOT be the same ones who petitioned to have the work done in the first place. :lol:

I think curbing is at neighbors request. We lobbied to have our street curbed about 5 or 6 years ago and we are still on the waiting list. We also have to contribute some money for it, but I can't remember how much...$250 maybe? We had to get a certain percentage of homeowners on the street to sign, so it was not a simple process.

There's a rumor circulating that the newly redone sections of Cortlandt flooded badly on Saturday. Can anyone confirm/deny?

i can't comfirm or deny that but i can say that my own street flooded worse on saturday than it did after Ike, so i wouldn't use this weekend as a test for the good or bad of the construction (if that is even why you are asking :lol: )

Indeed this weekend was crazy, studewood @ 11th street was like 2ft deep at least! People were trapped at Decapos because they couldn't get to their car without wading in water 2 ft deep. (not to mention they had to drive out of it). I took a few pics and videos driving around the block. I actually went looking for the deep water/flooding around there since i'm planning to eventually buy a bungalow in the vicinity.

I must say though, 2 hours after it was that bad, it had drained rapidly and was only ~ 6" deep or so and it didn't stop raining, only slowed down a bit. Pretty impressive.

Glad i have a jeep though or else i would have had wet carpet!

Well, I see I was imprecise in my rumormongering. The rumor I heard was that the newly redone sections had flooded badly, while the un-redone sections fared much better.

I only ask because my street doesn't have curbs/gutters and if my neighbors get it in their minds that we should petition the city to change it (there's been talk), I want to be informed about what might result. We're high and dry right now, even though I did have to wade home once about a year and a half ago when my block became an island. I hate my ditch, but the aesthetics don't matter much to me if the drainage is compromised.

Indeed this weekend was crazy, studewood @ 11th street was like 2ft deep at least! People were trapped at Decapos because they couldn't get to their car without wading in water 2 ft deep. (not to mention they had to drive out of it). I took a few pics and videos driving around the block. I actually went looking for the deep water/flooding around there since i'm planning to eventually buy a bungalow in the vicinity.

I must say though, 2 hours after it was that bad, it had drained rapidly and was only ~ 6" deep or so and it didn't stop raining, only slowed down a bit. Pretty impressive.

Glad i have a jeep though or else i would have had wet carpet!

My ditches didn't completely empty until yesterday afternoon.

I bought my bungalow in March 2002. The first thing I asked was, "Did the house or garage flood during Alison?" When the answer was no, I signed on the dotted line.

Well, I see I was imprecise in my rumormongering. The rumor I heard was that the newly redone sections had flooded badly, while the un-redone sections fared much better.

I only ask because my street doesn't have curbs/gutters and if my neighbors get it in their minds that we should petition the city to change it (there's been talk), I want to be informed about what might result. We're high and dry right now, even though I did have to wade home once about a year and a half ago when my block became an island. I hate my ditch, but the aesthetics don't matter much to me if the drainage is compromised.

I signed the petition to get curbs on my block and now I regret it. My ditches are a known quantity. I know that the street will flood and my house will not. With underground drainage, I don't know that.

I signed the petition to get curbs on my block and now I regret it. My ditches are a known quantity. I know that the street will flood and my house will not. With underground drainage, I don't know that.

if it makes you feel any better, my neighborhood has all sidewalks and curbs, no ditches. we had no home flooding this weekend and no home flooding during allison or ike. ^_^

I used to own a house on a block with gutters that floods near the Museum District. The next block was upward sloping and did not flood on the far end. The situations are similar since I think we can generalize that the houses were on approximately the same elevation on both blocks. After the first couple times, I never worried about the street flooding. The water would never come more than halfway from the street level, since when the curbs are put in they dig the street down a few feet. Your house isn't any worse off, but you don't want to leave your car parked on the curb!

• 3 weeks later...
I saw a big variance request notice on the fence of the bungalow on the SE corner of 14th at Harvard. Anyone know what this is about?

I noticed the owners put in a new fence over the past couple of weeks. I believe it sits closer to the street, but I could be wrong.

I noticed the owners put in a new fence over the past couple of weeks. I believe it sits closer to the street, but I could be wrong.

Don't think you need a variance for that? I thought unless it was over 8 feet or masonry, you don't even need permits.

Don't think you need a variance for that? I thought unless it was over 8 feet or masonry, you don't even need permits.

Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it!

The 1200, 1500 and 1600 blocks of Harvard have minimum lot size protection, so I would definitely look into it. If it is north of 14th Street, they are probably trying to get a variance on the lot size and/or building line.

Protest it! Protest it! Protest it!

Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it! Protest it!

The 1200, 1500 and 1600 blocks of Harvard have minimum lot size protection, so I would definitely look into it. If it is north of 14th Street, they are probably trying to get a variance on the lot size and/or building line.

Protest it! Protest it! Protest it!

It's actually on the south side of 14th street and it was lot size that I was worried about, but someone in the know told me that it has to do with a carport they built (without permit I guess).

When those folks bought the house, they rebuilt the garage and added a carport that covers the driveway. The carport goes all the way to the sidewalk which violates the setback ordinance. They got redtagged by the city but the carport/garage remodel was pretty well complete. They have been steadily cleaning up the property since they bought it. Speculation is that they filed the variance in order to keep the carport.

When those folks bought the house, they rebuilt the garage and added a carport that covers the driveway. The carport goes all the way to the sidewalk which violates the setback ordinance. They got redtagged by the city but the carport/garage remodel was pretty well complete. They have been steadily cleaning up the property since they bought it. Speculation is that they filed the variance in order to keep the carport.

I personally think carports are ugly and want to have mine removed. Is that something that can be reused or just go to scrap metal? I am willing to give it to anyone that will responsibly and without harm to my property remove it.

Thanks for the info! I walked by it yesterday but didn't even think to read the variance request.

You've piqued my curiosity so I looked on Houston Planning's website for the variance request. (it's file number 09023786 to the extent you're interested)

It's generally as discussed previously, i.e. Hired a contractor to build or rebuild a carport, contractor didn't pull a permit, without a permit there was not a plan review and the owner was oblivious to the setback requirement, carport gets built/rebuilt in violation of the setback, building gets red tagged, owner gets in a tif with the inspectors, got some more red tags and is now trying to clear it up via variance. Apparently it's the city's fault (according to the variance request).

You've piqued my curiosity so I looked on Houston Planning's website for the variance request. (it's file number 09023786 to the extent you're interested)

It's generally as discussed previously, i.e. Hired a contractor to build or rebuild a carport, contractor didn't pull a permit, without a permit there was not a plan review and the owner was oblivious to the setback requirement, carport gets built/rebuilt in violation of the setback, building gets red tagged, owner gets in a tif with the inspectors, got some more red tags and is now trying to clear it up via variance. Apparently it's the city's fault (according to the variance request).

By using the permit # you got, I looked at the permit comments and it noted that a citation was issued and scheduled for court. I then plugged the listed citation number into the municipal courts website (you go through the process like you're going to pay a ticket online) and it showed that he not only has fines and court dates outstanding for recent violations but also back to 2007. Look at those fine amounts! Glad I got permits for the work I did on my place (although my old shed did "fall down" during Allison -- but it's not like I didn't TRY to get a demo permit -- they just made it so difficult).

Ticket

(I redacted owner name that was displayed on court website cause I'm not sure of this forum's rules on posting names, but it matches the name on HCAD owner records)

ticket no. ticket date court date court time court no.

N21690523 12/31/2007 06/11/2009 08:00 1

(ERECT/ALTER/REPAIR/MOVE/IMPRO $843.00

FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH A STOP $843.00

1346 HARVARD 08N0708583

N22845331 03/17/2009 10/21/2009 08:00 1

(REMOVE DEFACE) (DESTROY) A PL $370.00

(ERECT/ALTER/REPAIR/MOVE/IMPRO $850.00

(CONST./CAUSE)(DRIVEWAY/SIDEWA $850.00

offense location offense number

1346 HARVARD 09N0267807

Edited by heights

For those living on W 20ish-25ish, how does that area do during heavy rains?

I realize that a lot has changed since Allison w/ all the construction, but we're looking at buying up there and most of the homes appear to be in the 100 year flood plain.

I can't speak to W. 20's, but I can to E. 20s. During a heavy rain, our ditches will fill and during a really heavy and sustained rainfall streets might flood (1-2 inches) and on very rare occasions it will come up in my yard, but it never comes close to getting into my house which is on block and beam (including during Tropical Storm Alison and Ike) or the garage, which is on slab. That is true for all the neighbors on my street. I have not heard of any of my neighbors' homes flooding, though some garages.

Edited by EMME