Houston Baptist Sanitarium Expansion No. 1 In Downtown

This week I learned about the ever-evolving Baptist Sanitarium in downtown Houston.  It appears (as I'm newly educated about this) as the hospital system owned a whole city block on Lamar Street and built 5 or 6 buildings on the block. Oddly enough, it appears the only address for all the buildings was 602 Lamar Street.  I wonder if they platted the entire block as a singular address? If that's legal of course.

The 2nd building (Expansion No. 1) of the hospital system was designed by Rezin D. Steele in 1911 with a total amount (campus) beds at 50 beds. 

The original sanitarium that Dennis Pevoto bought from Ida Rudisill had a 15-person bed capacity, so the expansion to 50 beds was quite significant.

Kind of off topic, but this building always looks like it's leaning. I wonder by foundation or design.

rNjwO7k.jpeg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Houston Baptist Sanitarium Expansion No. 1

That would be a big lean, almost giving the Leaning Tower of Pisa some competition 😄 I think it might be more of how the photo was taken.   Great historic photo though!  I love these vintage photos you provide us Highrise, thanks!

Edited by EspersonBuildings
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Houston Baptist Sanitarium Expansion No. 1 In Downtown