River Oaks Profiled In National Geographic

Count me among the fans of Lynn Wyatt. She ranks as one of America's all-time great social figures, easily in the ranks of Betsy Bloomfield, Jacqueline Kennedy or Truman Capote.

Her position was not attained by mere money, and has given her power about which we can only speculate.

...not to mention her and her husband's income enhancment by way of alleged kick-backs to Saddam...yes, she's quite the role model for us all...much like the Lays, you might say.

B)

And "King of the Hill" is just as much Dallas as "Dallas".

I'm having fun here. You all play along.

By the way, I haven't watched "King of the Hill" in a long time, but I was reading the show info at Wikipedia and saw this in the entry, "Hank's hatred over Houston which is common among Dallas citizens.". :lol: I didn't know that.

And "King of the Hill" is just as much Dallas as "Dallas".

I'm having fun here. You all play along.

By the way, I haven't watched "King of the Hill" in a long time, but I was reading the show info at Wikipedia and saw this in the entry, "Hank's hatred over Houston which is common among Dallas citizens.". :lol: I didn't know that.

I always thought that King of the Hill was set in some fictional HOUSTON blue collar suburb according to its promotionals back in the day. I never really watch the show, so I don't know.

Maybe it's a case where some idiot in the FOX marketing department got Houston and Dallas mixed up...again.

But it's about time that National Geographic did something about Houston even if on the stereotypical side. They covered both Dallas and Atlanta in 1984. H-town should have been covered more generally rather than having its fanciest zip code. Then again, has Houston ever been covered in National Geographic post-1979?

Then again, has Houston ever been covered in National Geographic post-1979?

wellll...

once, in national geographic traveler

Houston was the focus of Texas, a Pipe Dream in the march 2001 issue (about the tourism, oil businessmen who allegedly built the city, and restaurants and museums).

other than that, i think the only one in national geographic proper was in september 1967, called Houston, Prairie Dynamo (funny - that's the name of our new MLS team)...

that one was about business, tourism, and benefits of space programs...

Off Topic but I went to an Estate Sale in River Oaks last year to just look at the house more than anything else. These people had some great stuff from a different time. I also found a scrap book with news clippings of them when they were Houston area socialites in the 50s. It must have been a wonderful life but they ended up taking the old dirt nap like everyone else so in the end it doesn't really matter I guess.

• 10 months later...
  • The title was changed to River Oaks Profiled In National Geographic

Archived