Ideas for commuter rail stops

VicMan

So, I wonder why the ridership levels would be low?

I understand airport employees would use this service. So would a number of international travelers and visitors. So, what number of travelers would make the line feasible? How could METRO encourage the number to rise?

Now, it is true that some land has to be acquired:

* At Bush Airport, a rail terminal has to be developed along the rail line, and the airport's inter-terminal train has to extend to the rail terminal.

* In Downtown Houston or the vicinity, land to develop a commuter rail terminal (this seems to be a given)

And if this goes to Galveston:

* A station has to be developed in close proximity to Clear Lake

* A station has to be developed in close proximity to Galveston

If we drop Galveston and Clear Lake and simply establish an express line between Downtown and Bush Airport, at what year do you feel it would be feasible?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now, it is true that some land has to be acquired:

* At Bush Airport, a rail terminal has to be developed along the rail line, and the airport's inter-terminal train has to extend to the rail terminal.

* In Downtown Houston or the vicinity, land to develop a commuter rail terminal (this seems to be a given)

And if this goes to Galveston:

* A station has to be developed in close proximity to Clear Lake

* A station has to be developed in close proximity to Galveston

If we drop Galveston and Clear Lake and simply establish an express line between Downtown and Bush Airport, at what year do you feel it would be feasible?

ok...."some land" has to be aquired? we have to get past this before we can continue. don't even worry about stations or ridership at this point. to have 2 lines parallel to your proposed one would require a swath from galveston to IAH. that is more than some land. do you feel this is realistic? it would be similar to acquiring land for a new freeway in the middle of the city.

In other words, this means negotiating with the group which owns the railways to be used to allow METRO express trains to use the railways, correct?

I heard that METRO is in a dialog with Union Pacific regarding several of the company's railways.

The concept of METRO buying the rights to the railway from IAH to Downtown Houston (and on to Clear Lake and Galveston) (and therefore obtaining "a swath from galveston to IAH") sounds realistic.

Does METRO have to pay money for any modifications made to the track for passenger service? I do not know about the differences between rail systems only used for freight and rail systems used for freight and human passengers. Therefore, I am wondering if any modifications have to be made for the track.

ok...."some land" has to be aquired? we have to get past this before we can continue. don't even worry about stations or ridership at this point. to have 2 lines parallel to your proposed one would require a swath from galveston to IAH. that is more than some land. do you feel this is realistic? it would be similar to acquiring land for a new freeway in the middle of the city.

Archived