Haverty Furniture Store At 711 Fannin St.

Highrise Tower

Found this incredible Alfred C. Finn building that was built in Downtown in the 1920s.  I searched and found only a single mention of Haverty some 16 years ago. Thought I would share my findings and information.

From the newspaper The Houston Post dated October 30, 1921.

Havery Furniture Co. to Have New 6-Story Home

Work will start at once on big structure on Travis Street.

Work will start immediately on a six-story concrete structure to be erected in between Capitol and Rusk avenues on the east side of Fannin street. When completed, the building will be the new home of the Haverty Furniture company. The announcement was made Saturday by J.J. Haverty, president of the company.

The new building will be of the most modern constriction in every respect. Its dimensions will be 50x125 feet. The front of the structure will be finished in tapestry brick. The contract for the work has been awarded to the American Construction Company and the building is designed by Alfred C. Finn, a local architect. The total cost of the property and the building complete will be approximately $200,000.

ZYWClcz.jpg

DlwDWqb.jpg

Top: Left- J.J. Haverty, president of the Haverty Furniture Company.
Right- Fred T. Smith, manager of the Haverty Furniture Company store in Houston.
Bottom- Architect's drawing of the new home of the Haverty Furniture Company.

LrY8Irh.jpg

w8J9iQc.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Haverty Furniture Store At 711 Fannin St.
  • 1 month later...