Cleveland Sewall-Nathan Avery Mansion At 3456 Inwood Dr.

Highrise Tower

Cool looking house! I never even heard of the Sewell-Avery families.  I wonder who those people are and what they did for a living? Must have been business owners or doctors/bankers to live in RO.

Sewell-Avery House

Address: 3456 Inwood Drive, River Oaks.

Year Built: 1925.

Architects: Cram and Ferguson and William Ward Watkin, associate architect.

me0vR4s.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland Sewall was president of his family's grocery business. Rice's Sewall Hall was built with funds donated by his wife after his death. Upon her death, she left this house to Rice in addition to funding to endow two professorships. 

Lots of additional background detail in the city's Protected Landmark Designation Report, which didn't have much effect in the end as the house was ultimately demolished and a new house built on the site in 2021. 

https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/HistoricPres/landmarks/09PL75_Sewall_House_3456_Inwood.pdf

• Like 2

I came across this company while researching in the Galveston paper in the 20s, I believe it was.  I am trying to find what I photocopied as it was very interesting.  I have found some pictures of their product line - Rice Hotel Quality Canned Goods!. As I recall, the line was distributed in several states.  Their main facility was at the foot of Commerce; they built a second facility on Velasco Street to ramp up production.  That facility I determined was demolished, probably during one of the expansions of feeders into downtown from 45 south.  I'm sure I photocopied the story on the company from GDN but it is not with the pictures (newspaper ads) that I have located.   Still looking. 

ETA:  Woodson has a file on the family/company I believe.  Great to see that house.

Edited by brucesw
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Cleveland Sewall-Nathan Avery Mansion At 3456 Inwood Dr.