New Orleans Doesn't Want Some Of Their Residents Back

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3676263.html

WTF?

This is what I feel like the New Orleans city council is saying...

"Hi! Thanks for helping us out and not discriminating between the poor and the rich when it came to helping us out. Thanks for the volunteers, taxpayer money, housing and aid you gave us evn though you're a city and not FEMA. We should have helped the lower class evacuate more than we did, but we didn't. We however had temporary luxury housing at the New Orleans Convention Center and SuperDome that our citizens were accomodated with.

Now that we're starting to rebuild, we would like to ask all businesses that left New Orleans to go to Houston temporarily to come back, and also would like to invite our rich and/or working middle class back to new Orleans. However, to all the lower class citizens and disabled that we didn't help out enough, and left out to rot in the flooded street before, during, and after the storm: y'all can stay in Houston. We didn't help you before, and we won't help you now. You already got pampered by the government even though you don't have jobs. It's not our fault that our unemployment rate was skyhigh before the storm."

Now this is what they REALLY said, from the Houston Chronicle:

- "We don't need soap opera watchers right now," said New Orleans City Council President Oliver Thomas, during a housing committee meeting. "We're going to target the people who are going to work. It's not that I'm fed up, but that at some point there has to be a whole new level of motivation, and people have got to stop blaming the government for something they ought to do."

So, hypothetically speaking, if they don't find a job, where do you expect them to live? Houston. And if they DO work, you'll try to lure them back? You're trying t cleanse the city of all the lower class, which was, like, a majority of the city? How in the world can Houston be expected to say the same thing about the evacuees and get away with it? "Get a job, or go back to New Orleans". There's no law allowing us to do that. It's like New Orleans City Council is trying to be back better than ever before at any cost, even if it includes hurting Houston's workforce.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, few people supported New Orleans AND it's citizens as much as I have, whether it was helping during the evacuation or being vocal about rebuilding the city. But, I am starting to tire of sticking up for these city officials who can find fault with everyone, including their constituents, except themselves.

Maybe if these city officials weren't stealing city money, hiring their relatives, giving contracts to their friends, and generally screwing up the city, these "soap opera watchers" might have been able to find jobs. None of this is ever the city's problem or fault. It's always the poor's fault.

I have been invited to Mardi Gras, and fully intended to go and pump some money into their economy. I am going to have to think really hard about this trip. I am a big advocate of voting with my wallet, and right now my inclination is to vote 'No'.

You know, few people supported New Orleans AND it's citizens as much as I have, whether it was helping during the evacuation or being vocal about rebuilding the city. But, I am starting to tired of sticking up for these city officials who can find fault with everyone, including their constituents, except themselves.

Maybe if these city officials weren't stealing city money, hiring their relatives, giving contracts to their friends, and generally screwing up the city, these "soap opera watchers" might have been able to find jobs. None of this is ever the city's problem or fault. It's always the poor's fault.

I have been invited to Mardi Gras, and fully intended to go and pump some money into their economy. I am going to have to think really hard about this trip. I am a big advocate of voting with my wallet, and right now my inclination is to vote 'No'.

EXACTLY.

There's a fine line between supporting New Orleans, and supporting their city officials. They didn't do their job. It became evident 4 days before Katrina hit that they weren't prepared. We all saw that the government failed in Katrina, and we can go on all day about who's to blame the most, but make no mistake that the local officials are right there on the list. This article just proves how ignorant some of their current officials still are.

To RedScare, Editor, BayouCityGirl, and everyone that helped in those days, great job, and you should be proud of yourselves, no matter what the city officials say, and no matter how ungrateful they are. New Orleans should be rebuilt, and it will. But when will these public leaders stand up and say "we've f**ked up, we accept responsibility, and we'll help turn things around for the rich, AND the poor, AND the disabled, AND the elderly?" Houston's public officials, especially Bill White, did a magnificent job of helping those in need when they needed it. Took us, like, less than a day to help plan the evacuation of the Katrina victims, when N.O. should have had that done months before the storm (plan what happens just in case the obsolete levees break).

I'm sick and tired of N.O.'s city council discriminating against their citizens, and Houston and other cities in America taking responsibility for it. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!!! INVITE EVERYONE BACK, THEN HELP FIND THEM JOBS!! NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!! What can Houston do to say that we love N.O., but also say that their public leaders, and all the police officers that left their post after the storm, suck?

I have been trying to stay removed from the N.O. bashing. We have all known N.O. was beyond dysfunctional, so why bash it?

That being said, N.O. was and always will be a giant slum. It's high time that city welcomes back the trash that blew into Texas during the hurricane.

I know there are some honest people in this bunch, but it's quite clear that they are the minority.

Greetings pals.....

ENOUGH! .....with the nuances loaded with unfair as well as unneccessary inuendo.....for we are HOUSTONIANS, and we are much better than this.....

SO MUCH FOR THE PERILS OF THE BIG CITY...... and with Houston being without a doubt the fourth largest city within this grand union of states....... then it has become high time that we start looking at precarious situations of this nature with a bit more objectivity. First off, please allow us the opportunity to glance at the current situation circling the City of N. O. at this historical point in time...... a very very southern U.S. port city loaded with a very large majority of displaced minority citizens, that currently in some very distinct areas looks like a subdivision of war torn Iraq. Second, have we....as in the posters upon this great HAIF website, really been paying attention to the current goings on within the City of NO lately? Have any of you been noticing some of the current headlines coming forth from various news outlets, blogs, segments, etc...etc.... well I can honestly assure you that they have been quite challenging indeed .....BODIES STILL BEING FOUND IN MANY AREAS......STRESSED OUT MAYOR LOOSING HIS MIND......FEMA REFUSING TO EXTEND HOTEL STAYS......N.O. POLICE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CITIZENS AND VICE VERSA.....CERTAIN NEIGHBORHOODS ARE GETTING PRIORITY EVERYTHING OVER OTHERS......now you get the current picture/status quo.....

SO WHAT SHOULD WE EXPECT! Of course, in precarious/bitter times like these there will always be the obligatory outburst spewing forth from a few very tired and disoriented community leaders that very soon enough shall come forth with the obligatory apologies......now you all know that I am correct upon this, now don't you.....

....now great pals, let us all stop and take a very deep TEXAS SIZE BREATH....... and just relax for a moment. We have been living with quite a few of our neighbors from N.O. for quite a few months now.....most of them are starting to become content with their new and improved lives thanks to the very generosity of Houstonians and our city and state governments.....and believe me they are happy, as they are striving and starting to allow the past to become a distant albeit historical memory within their new lives......but there are others that just are as thankful to Houston and the state of Texas, but they just want to go home and live for who they are, and for what they have always loved.......and many of these aforementioned have become extremely hypercritical at the state of affairs within their former city and it's officials, and of course we know this.....marches upon Washington, extremely critical statements directed to the N.O. city council, as well as certain elected officials for the unique and profound manner matters are being focused upon within their city.....as well as the very uncaring nature of state and government officials who seem to never have an answer for these distinct citizens regarding their lives and well being.....

SO BEFORE WE GO FORTH AND START REACTING OUT OF CHARACTER.....involving the very latest extremeties coming forth from N. O......... just remember who we are......we are TEXANS! We are accustomed to looking far beyond the open horizon. For in the very end, it has indeed been stated, "FOR THIS TOO SHALL COME TO PASS"........

Metropolitantexan

This makes me angry...really angry...

We took care of these people, and sacrificed alot for them, and once it is over, they dropa giant bag of #@&*)#@&*)#@ on us. WTF?

I hope they rot for this...

.....now now RS, I was just assisting you with your preparation of the obligatory RSVP, since you were invited to attend MG......for aren't you staring at your wallet? Go ahead and vote!

Metropolitantexan

If it wasn't for the fact that I have a room on the second floor of a Bourbon Street hotel, I would have already voted. But, throwing beads to the pretty ladies has me thinking twice about it. ^_^

EDIT: Oh, did I mention the room is free?

Greetings pals.....

ENOUGH! .....with the nuances loaded with unfair as well as unneccessary inuendo.....for we are HOUSTONIANS, and we are much better than this.....

SO MUCH FOR THE PERILS OF THE BIG CITY...... and with Houston being without a doubt the fourth largest city within this grand union of states....... then it has become high time that we start looking at precarious situations of this nature with a bit more objectivity. First off, please allow us the opportunity to glance at the current situation circling the City of N. O. at this historical point in time...... a very very southern U.S. port city loaded with a very large majority of displaced minority citizens, that currently in some very distinct areas looks like a subdivision of war torn Iraq. Second, have we....as in the posters upon this great HAIF website, really been paying attention to the current goings on within the City of NO lately? Have any of you been noticing some of the current headlines coming forth from various news outlets, blogs, segments, etc...etc.... well I can honestly assure you that they have been quite challenging indeed .....BODIES STILL BEING FOUND IN MANY AREAS......STRESSED OUT MAYOR LOOSING HIS MIND......FEMA REFUSING TO EXTEND HOTEL STAYS......N.O. POLICE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CITIZENS AND VICE VERSA.....CERTAIN NEIGHBORHOODS ARE GETTING PRIORITY EVERYTHING OVER OTHERS......now you get the current picture/status quo.....

SO WHAT SHOULD WE EXPECT! Of course, in precarious/bitter times like these there will always be the obligatory outburst spewing forth from a few very tired and disoriented community leaders that very soon enough shall come forth with the obligatory apologies......now you all know that I am correct upon this, now don't you.....

....now great pals, let us all stop and take a very deep TEXAS SIZE BREATH....... and just relax for a moment. We have been living with quite a few of our neighbors from N.O. for quite a few months now.....most of them are starting to become content with their new and improved lives thanks to the very generosity of Houstonians and our city and state governments.....and believe me they are happy, as they are striving and starting to allow the past to become a distant albeit historical memory within their new lives......but there are others that just are as thankful to Houston and the state of Texas, but they just want to go home and live for who they are, and for what they have always loved.......and many of these aforementioned have become extremely hypercritical at the state of affairs within their former city and it's officials, and of course we know this.....marches upon Washington, extremely critical statements directed to the N.O. city council, as well as certain elected officials for the unique and profound manner matters are being focused upon within their city.....as well as the very uncaring nature of state and government officials who seem to never have an answer for these distinct citizens regarding their lives and well being.....

SO BEFORE WE GO FORTH AND START REACTING OUT OF CHARACTER.....involving the very latest extremeties coming forth from N. O......... just remember who we are......we are TEXANS! We are accustomed to looking far beyond the open horizon. For in the very end, it has indeed been stated, "FOR THIS TOO SHALL COME TO PASS"........

Metropolitantexan

I respect your opinion. We all must not forget the ctizens tht have come here grateful to our helping hand. This in no way is a diss to any of the evacuees that have called Houston home. But mind you, their government failed. If Houston didn't open up the Astrodome, what would N.O. city officials have done? Left the poor in the N.O. Convention Center and SuperDome? That WAS what they were planning to do.

Metropolitantexan is right about the heart of Texas. However as Texans, we also don't believe in bulls**t. And the Katrina reaction was just that. For one, Katrina's winds wasn't the worst of it. The worst happened when the levees broke and flooded out a good portion of the city where mostly the lower class live. Would those same levees have broken if they were not 30 years obsolete? Whose fault was it that they weren't updated? And now they're asking those same lower class citizens to stay in Houston to fight with other Houstonians for a job while the middle and upper class get welcomed back, and expect Houstonians to smile and keep helping?

You need to understand that this was not an outburst. Not one, but THREE...yes, THREE city officials in New Orleans said or agreed to the remarks. It doesn't frighten anyone here that those city officials might actually FEEL that way? I feel like they were sending that same message during the initial evacuations. Houston let New Orleans residents in without any discrimination. Why should we tolerate New Orleans city council members not wanting to do the same for New Orleans residents? They're not at all embarassed or humbled by the job they did in New Orleans?

I am a big advocate of voting with my wallet, and right now my inclination is to vote 'No'.

Great answer, Red. This is the best response we can give to New Orleans, if this situation really bothers you. Just don't go to New Orleans. Choose to spend your hard-earned vacation dollars elsewhere. Face it, they need us more than we'll ever need them.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have a room on the second floor of a Bourbon Street hotel, I would have already voted. But, throwing beads to the pretty ladies has me thinking twice about it. ^_^

EDIT: Oh, did I mention the room is free?

...is this free room on Bourbon Street part of the obligatory perks of the industry? Or is this the obligatory WORK/PLAY/DIE incentive of "THE FIRM"!

I for one would not be too hasty in regards to the tossing of beads to the "nymphs in season". Simply due to the fact that, the NEW N.O. city council are contemplating a profound legislation aimed at controlling some of the precarious elements that has become the norm for that particular "nick of the woods" within the district.... but nevertheless, if you decide to go, send me some pralines please......nothing cheap, only the best....Metro

...is this free room on Bourbon Street part of the obligatory perks of the industry? Or is this the obligatory WORK/PLAY/DIE incentive of "THE FIRM"!

I for one would not be too hasty in regards to the tossing of beads to the "nymphs in season". Simply due to the fact that, the NEW N.O. city council are contemplating a profound legislation aimed at controlling some of the precarious elements that has become the norm for that particular "nick of the woods" within the district.... but nevertheless, if you decide to go, send me some pralines please......nothing cheap, only the best....Metro

One of my good friends works the Houston office of a New Orleans law firm. Every year, they rent several rooms in that famous hotel on Bourbon (forget the name) to entertain clients. They are returning this year to help NO as well as entertain. Since I helped them during the hurricane by offering up spare beds, they've offered me a bed at Mardi Gras.

Honestly, I think that these politicians were playing to the locals who are still in NO, who don't want NO to become what it was again. I'm sure it was intended to let returning evacuees know that the city has a diminished capacity to help the neediest citizens. They just have a knack for making it SOUND wrong.

If I can rearrange my schedule, I'm going, if only to see the worst US disaster and the party that follows. As for the nymphs, it's not against the law to ask, only to show. :lol:

Side Note to H2B: Residency is a state of mind. In other words, if the intent of the voter is to return, they are a displaced resident of NO. If the intention is to make Houston their new home, they are residents of Houston. As you might guess, it would be hard to prove either, but that is the law. As one who spent a lot of time commuting between Houston and the Hill Country before settling there permanently, you probably understand this scenario better than most.

I'm sick and tired of N.O.'s city council discriminating against their citizens, and Houston and other cities in America taking responsibility for it. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!!! INVITE EVERYONE BACK, THEN HELP FIND THEM JOBS!! NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!! What can Houston do to say that we love N.O., but also say that their public leaders, and all the police officers that left their post after the storm, suck?

I have no bad feelings toward those "leaders". They're just being honest. Getting rid of a lot of those people was the best thing that has ever happened to that city, and now, with few murders etc, they see a chance for the city to become a nice place to live, and they can still have the Bourbon St. scene and Garden District. They don't want most of those people back, and who can blame them?

We took them in because we had too, not because we're more humanitarian or compassionate than any other city, and I'm sure most are good people who will blend in nicely here, but the element that brought NO down will bring us down too, it just won't be as noticeable.

If they're smart and fearless, they'll create laws of some sort to prevent the same ugly scenes from developing once again, and take their blessings and run with them.

I have no bad feelings toward those "leaders". They're just being honest. Getting rid of a lot of those people was the best thing that has ever happened to that city, and now, with few murders etc, they see a chance for the city to become a nice place to live, and they can still have the Bourbon St. scene and Garden District. They don't want most of those people back, and who can blame them?

We took them in because we had too, not because we're more humanitarian or compassionate than any other city, and I'm sure most are good people who will blend in nicely here, but the element that brought NO down will bring us down too, it just won't be as noticeable.

If they're smart and fearless, they'll create laws of some sort to prevent the same ugly scenes from developing once again, and take their blessings and run with them.

I was waiting for someone to say that. And that's exactly how N.O. City Council feel.

For one thing, we let them in because we WANTED to and not because WE had to. No government except our asked for us to be involved at the magnitude that we were. We volunteered before anyone asked us to.

You're very right that getting rid of the violence or poverty stricken people was the best thing that ever happened to N.O., but not all those same people will change overnight. As a result, Houston's crime rate will rise, fights will escalate, more Houstonians will have trouble finding jobs, and Houston will have to live with the burdens that N.O. were dealing with before the storm. There's gotta be a time when Houstonians have to say enough is enough. Because it's obvious in this article that N.O. is not going to say that for Houston's sake. They'll only say that for their own.

I'm all for Houstonians helping others out....that is, until innocent Houstonians get used. How can Houston create those same laws as N.O. to keep the crime rate as low as it was before? Or is that okay for everyone here?

Greetings DJ/Danax....

HAS ANYONE SUDDENLY CHANGED THE CULTURE OF N.O.?

Go ahead and answer the query gentlemen......for your impulsive responses seem to indicate that you have somehow figured out this most complex issue nonwithstanding......

New Orleans, so very often reminds me of Old Mexico.....so very old....steeped in culture.....so much potential......yet constantly plagued by greed/crime/corruption throughout it's unique history.....

I will never forget that when I was a very young boy visiting N.O. for the very first time.....somehow even then, I new that I was in a strange yet unique environment. Even then as young as I was, I found myself gazing at the unique architecture of the houses and buildings throughout the city. Whenever my parents and relatives would take us shopping, again, I was drawn towards the people, the landscape, and the very unique ways that they led their lives. I would often listen in on conversation held by my parents and relatives in regards to the very origins of N.O., it's history, lifestyles, and it's immense culture. For, from what I can plainly see today, nothing regarding the people living impoverished/marginalized lives has really changed at all.

YES! The city has become truly popular as a complete desitination for fun, food, laced with a unique southern French charm.....but hasn't it always been known as this? YES! There seems to be a new attitude of pervasive progress throughout the city with it's ever evolving eye towards innovation, commerce, it's growing tourism industry.....and the list just grows and grows......

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CITY'S CULTURE OF CLASS DISTINCTIONS? For even as a young boy visiting the city, I noticed it right off. I for one, grew up in a middle class family in the city of Beaumont, TX. As a black American(for I sincerely hate the term African American), I felt blessed that my parents were able to build a big custom home for us, as well as send me to a good school. I was taught about compassion, and how to respect and give back to others........I learned about the aspects of being poor, for the City of Beaumont did have it's fair share indeed. But whenever I would visit N.O., I quickly learned that the city's poor were somehow magnified to a level that I had never seen before.......and it has always been that way. Upon listening to my N.O. relatives, the decades of elected city officials have always been quite vociferous in their approach upon what form of leadership they would inspire, and what all they could do to help the city's ever growing population of poor citizens.........again, no real change for the better. CRIME is still at an all time high.....charity hospitals really have not changed their approach to treating the city's poor.......city services really have not inproved all that much, simply because the tax base really has not become as strong as it needs to be simply due to the fact that N.O. has become a major tourism city with many out of state investors. so the money really does not stay within the city as well as state to create a real tax base to build upon itself to help create more jobs for the working poor........MARGINALIZATION STEPS IN, AND CREATES A STRONGHOLD....... which further helps with the pervasive class distinctions by creating an ever wider gap between the rich and poor.........which in turn helps to feed contentment......AND LIFE GOES ON.....

So a portion of the citizenry of N.O. have come to the City of Houston as the result of a major catastrophe....HURRICANE KATRINA. Therefore, we as Houstonians will due our duty, and dig deep into our hearts and realize that these are just ordinary human beings that need our help. We will never ever forget that LIFE in it's very nature, always finds away.......just because they have lived for decades with impoverished conditions as well as pervasive marginalization, does not mean that these very citizens do not have within their very well being to become good productive ordinary citizens with an eye towards progress in their newly changed lives..........FOR WE ARE TEXANS! AND WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS.....

Metropolitantexan

Greetings DJ/Danax....

HAS ANYONE SUDDENLY CHANGED THE CULTURE OF N.O.?

Go ahead and answer the query gentlemen......for your impulsive responses seem to indicate that you have somehow figured out this most complex issue nonwithstanding......

New Orleans, so very often reminds me of Old Mexico.....so very old....steeped in culture.....so much potential......yet constantly plagued by greed/crime/corruption throughout it's unique history.....

I will never forget that when I was a very young boy visiting N.O. for the very first time.....somehow even then, I new that I was in a strange yet unique environment. Even then as young as I was, I found myself gazing at the unique architecture of the houses and buildings throughout the city. Whenever my parents and relatives would take us shopping, again, I was drawn towards the people, the landscape, and the very unique ways that they led their lives. I would often listen in on conversation held by my parents and relatives in regards to the very origins of N.O., it's history, lifestyles, and it's immense culture. For, from what I can plainly see today, nothing regarding the people living impoverished/marginalized lives has really changed at all.

YES! The city has become truly popular as a complete desitination for fun, food, laced with a unique southern French charm.....but hasn't it always been known as this? YES! There seems to be a new attitude of pervasive progress throughout the city with it's ever evolving eye towards innovation, commerce, it's growing tourism industry.....and the list just grows and grows......

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CITY'S CULTURE OF CLASS DISTINCTIONS? For even as a young boy visiting the city, I noticed it right off. I for one, grew up in a middle class family in the city of Beaumont, TX. As a black American(for I sincerely hate the term African American), I felt blessed that my parents were able to build a big custom home for us, as well as send me to a good school. I was taught about compassion, and how to respect and give back to others........I learned about the aspects of being poor, for the City of Beaumont did have it's fair share indeed. But whenever I would visit N.O., I quickly learned that the city's poor were somehow magnified to a level that I had never seen before.......and it has always been that way. Upon listening to my N.O. relatives, the decades of elected city officials have always been quite vociferous in their approach upon what form of leadership they would inspire, and what all they could do to help the city's ever growing population of poor citizens.........again, no real change for the better. CRIME is still at an all time high.....charity hospitals really have not changed their approach to treating the city's poor.......city services really have not inproved all that much, simply because the tax base really has not become as strong as it needs to be simply due to the fact that N.O. has become a major tourism city with many out of state investors. so the money really does not stay within the city as well as state to create a real tax base to build upon itself to help create more jobs for the working poor........MARGINALIZATION STEPS IN, AND CREATES A STRONGHOLD....... which further helps with the pervasive class distinctions by creating an ever wider gap between the rich and poor.........which in turn helps to feed contentment......AND LIFE GOES ON.....

So a portion of the citizenry of N.O. have come to the City of Houston as the result of a major catastrophe....HURRICANE KATRINA. Therefore, we as Houstonians will due our duty, and dig deep into our hearts and realize that these are just ordinary human beings that need our help. We will never ever forget that LIFE in it's very nature, always finds away.......just because they have lived for decades with impoverished conditions as well as pervasive marginalization, does not mean that these very citizens do not have within their very well being to become good productive ordinary citizens with an eye towards progress in their newly changed lives..........FOR WE ARE TEXANS! AND WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS.....

Metropolitantexan

I see that you and I lived in similar backgrounds :)

Please remember that this in no way is a knock against New Orleans' citizens. Houston and Houstonians have done a marvelous job at helping any way we can. And we will, and should, continue to do so. The Hurricane was a natural disaster, but too many people were neglected by their leadership in all levels right after the storm. They are more than welcome in Houston. Why is it not okay to ask why they're not welcomed back to New Orleans if they choose to take that route?

MTX, at the same time that we help, those responsible for slowing down the process of rebuilding when they're supposed to be doing their job have to be held accountable. We welcomed the residents with opened arms, and we should be allowed to stand with those residence and ask why it's okay to be looked down upon by their own local government because of their net worth. It's not right. They can rebuild in Houston, but their hearts will always have a place in New Orleans. The former New Orleans residence, and now Houston, should start asking questions about how some of those city council members in N.O. are still in office after comments like that, and also start asking questions about how to make everyone's lives better for the long term. The short term's almost over.

I see that you and I lived in similar backgrounds :)

.....yes, I do recall in one of your prior post you stated that you were Jamaican American......TOTALLY COOL Indeed! :D

I for one thought that you were at home in Jamaica visiting.....but I see that you are now in Korea, are you in the armed forces? I have a heck of a lot of upper oil & gas experience from downtown Houston under my belt, and if all goes as planned, I may be heading to either Kuwait City, or to Baghdad, Iraq, for work related ventues. No I am not in the very least intimidated......in fact the $$$$$ will be great, and I'm looking forward to it...... send me a note on what's going on in Korea, and we can trade sentiment....METRO

If New Orleans wants to play that way, then Houston should send them a bill for the housing, utilities, transportation, and medical care.

Couldn't agree more.

To MTX, I finished my army time last Summer here in Korea, and I'm currently an English teacher until this Spring, when I return to the city I love so much. (I have a LOT of friends that've worked in Iraq as soilders/contractors. It's a small world.)

I was watching the Katrina disaster, and was watching from an outside view as to what was happening in the Gulf coast. There's a difference between being fustrated for your home, and being fustrated at home. We had small fundraiser parties in Korea to raise funds for Habitat for Humanity and the Red Cross. I feel like we didn't do enough. Could have done so much more. I regret not being in Houston when it happened. You all were actually in Houston passing information, opening your homes, giving out food, money, public facilities, and taking in the consequences of being a city that gained over 100,000 new residents overnight.

I kinda wish the New Orleans local government would feel that same regret that they didn't do enough, and would SHOW that they feel they didn't do enough. I feel like they are now pointing fingers, yet again, and this time at their own citizens for not being rich. I'm glad the Houston Chronicle seems to feel the same way.

I kinda wish the New Orleans local government would feel that same regret that they didn't do enough, and would SHOW that they feel they didn't do enough. I feel like they are now pointing fingers, yet again, and this time at their own citizens for not being rich. I'm glad the Houston Chronicle seems to feel the same way.

They're pointing fingers at the ones who were milking the system before and, at the same time, contributing to an environment that caused their city to be one of the murderous, drug-filled places in the world. They're not wanting only rich, but only people who are willing to find a steady job. Is that too much to ask? Enough of this pseudo-compassion. We've seen the results of that. Too bad that we'll end up getting shafted as the productive ones move back and we end up with a lot of the filtered sediment.

And if we're going to bill them for all of this, let's bill Latin America too for all the illegals who don't pay taxes but show up for free schooling and medical care. But these ideals and ideas, although practical in family life and the real world, are unpopular in our current political setting.

They're pointing fingers at the ones who were milking the system before and, at the same time, contributing to an environment that caused their city to be one of the murderous, drug-filled places in the world. They're not wanting only rich, but only people who are willing to find a steady job. Is that too much to ask? Enough of this pseudo-compassion. We've seen the results of that. Too bad that we'll end up getting shafted as the productive ones move back and we end up with a lot of the filtered sediment.

And if we're going to bill them for all of this, let's bill Latin America too for all the illegals who don't pay taxes but show up for free schooling and medical care. But these ideals and ideas, although practical in family life and the real world, are unpopular in our current political setting.

Too many people are pointing fingers, and no one is acknowledging they did anything wrong. MANY people made mistakes in leadership, and each one should being saying "this is what I did wrong, what I could have done to prepare, and this is what I can do next time", and expect everyone else to do the same. Now their pointing their fingers at those milking the system? Not everyone that's poor is lazy. There's some, but not all.

They're not wanting only rich, but only people who are willing to find a steady job. Is that too much to ask?

From an Houstonian point of view, yes it is. Because you can expect that most of the former residents would want steady and good, jobs. The workforce is trying to rebuild just as the residents are. You can't expect them to find work while homeless. Houston has offered each resident so much more. Decent housing, job searches, immediate AND long term relief. What message are you sending Houston when you say if you don't want to work, stay in Houston? Do they think Houstonians would want more freeloading residents that live off the system purposely and don't work? Why didn't they take Houston's previous relief efforts for them under consideration?

Archived