Houston Hosting Conventions?

DJ V Lawrence

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/3662986.html

(Remember, I'm not from either party. I'm Texan. 'Nough said)

If everyone recalls, our Astrodome was the home to the last convention we hosted in 1992 when George H. W. Bush was nominated. Even though we're on of 30 candidates, we have a REALLY good chance of hosting it again, because of our infrastructure, the potential of a high quantity of high revenue fundraisers Houston could have, and because of the amount of businesses and Fortune 500 companies here.

Now I got seven questions about this:

1) How big a deal would it be for Houston to host in 2008?

2) Last time we hosted, a dude with Houston-ties was running. Would that same buzz be going on if a non-Texan was running and we hosted?

3) Do the protests and amped security that come with host a Democratic or Republican convention discourage cities to want to host an event with that kind of negative energy?

4) Speaking of Democratic, does Houston ever have a chance at hosting a DNC?

5) Do opponents of a political party normally support or shun the opposing party hosting their major convention in their hometown?

6) We got MAD facilities that can host that kind of event. Reliant Stadium (Reliant Park for that matter), Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center, GRB Convention Center. I'm predicting Reliant Park, but what building do you think would have the main event?

7) With all the developments that Houstons making for the next 5 years (Astrodome Hotel, Houston Pavillions, the Metro Central Station, light rail developments, etc.), wouldn't it benefit Houston more if we hosted a National Convention (Democratic or Republican) in 2012 instead?

Actually, the main activities were held in the GRB Convention Center in 1992. Stadium seating for 20,000 delegates were erected inside the GRB for Pat Robertson's (in?)famous 'Culture Wars' speech. The Houston convention is credited with the coming out of the Republican Party's Religious Right.

I don't think the opposing party supports or shuns a convention. They largely ignore it, both locally and nationally. Certainly, the Convention is a magnet for protesters, though.

Houston is a respected site for both parties. The cities want the Conventions for publicity. They don't care which party it is. However, IF it mattered, Harris County is solidly Republican, but Houston trends Democratic. It is a wash.

Houston hosted a post-9/11 Super Bowl without incident (other than Janet Jackson). It can handle a political convention. And, it can do it in any year. There are plenty of volunteers to help out with planning.

This should be a no brainer. Houston has been on a rolll lately for big events. It's time for Bush to help send something to Houston.

I remember the last one. We actually had a cold front come through that Summer weekend. God must be a Republican.

I think the Dems should come to town, too.

That's the thing. I've never in my lifetime heard of Houston being considered to host a DNC. We all agree that we're capable of hosting it, but I'm guessing that Texas's Republican voting record plays a key role in a hosting candidate, not just Houston. It'll be interesting to see who the DNC candidates are this time.

Also, say we have a Democratic mayor and the RNC wants to host in Houston, or a Republican mayor is in office and the DNC nominates us. Would that mayor want to actively pursue the opposing convention coming, shun the convention and push to not host it, or just stay out of the way?

The Mayor is not very powerful when it comes to things like this.

But for example, Mayor Brown let the national media and Al Gore rip us a new one in the 2000 election.

Brown, a Dem, just did not have the guts to stand up to his party.

I actually think White would tell the Dems to ease-up.

This should be a no brainer. Houston has been on a rolll lately for big events. It's time for Bush to help send something to Houston.

I remember the last one. We actually had a cold front come through that Summer weekend. God must be a Republican.

I think the Dems should come to town, too.

Agreed!

It's Friday. I am just messing with you.

Seriously, the Dems should come to town. Why not try to take over Texas? Especilly considering Houston leans towards the Dems?

I'm hung over. I didn't get it. B)

I think the Dems should come in and muddy the water a bit. Should be fun. With some of the huge issues Texas is dealing with, and the Legislature refuses to address, a frontal assault by the Dems could equalize things and make BOTH parties get to work.

Who wants to cut off downtown for a week and who wants to deal with the massive protests this thing will certainly attract? Who will pay the unprecedented security costs (Houston taxpayers of course)? Why would Houston want something like this?

Who wants to cut off downtown for a week and who wants to deal with the massive protests this thing will certainly attract? Who will pay the unprecedented security costs (Houston taxpayers of course)? Why would Houston want something like this?

I think I can answer two of the questions. For one, I'm convinced the convention would be held at Reliant Park, because it's capable of hosting everything...protests, media, the whole shibangabang. Downtown would probably be the second choice. The Conventions are always held in the summertime, so, like, MMP and Toyota Center will be used at that time period. And if it were chosen to be hosted at GRB Convention Center, imagine the traffic it would cause all over downtown, especially after a game. Reliant does not have a set big event going on throughout Summer. Texans play in Fall, and the Rodeo's in February/March. Perfect fit.(Third Choice, Lakewood Church? :lol: )

Second, in terms of security, I think the government and the political party pay for both, but also work with local law enforcement and the military to secure the city. If we hosted an RNC, I'd expect WAY more protests, because a Republican is currently in office.

The third question is the same question I had. :)

Yo RedScare, I was born in 1982 :lol: j/k. Thanx for the info. And Danax; that's a powerful picture u got there. Must have been an exciting time for Houston.

Oh, and MidtownCoog, I actually lost some respect for Al Gore after he started dissing Houston the way he did. Couldn't believe it at that time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just of curiosty, since the big sporting events around here are now over for awhile, does anyone think Houston should go after one of the 2008 conventions for either the DNC or RNC? It could be held at either Reliant Park or downtown, and by then Pavillions would be open. Plus, I think journalists covering the convention would be kinder to our city than sports journalists. Just wondering what people's opinions were, even though it could be a moot point, maybe the cities have already been decided on.

Just of curiosty, since the big sporting events around here are now over for awhile, does anyone think Houston should go after one of the 2008 conventions for either the DNC or RNC? It could be held at either Reliant Park or downtown, and by then Pavillions would be open. Plus, I think journalists covering the convention would be kinder to our city than sports journalists. Just wondering what people's opinions were, even though it could be a moot point, maybe the cities have already been decided on.

You know, I would think that it would be possible for us to land one of the conventions, quite possibly from either party, for 2008. On the one hand, we've got a hell of a lot of Republican voters, but on the other hand, we aren't Florida. I'm betting that the RNC will go with Florida to try to lock in the swing state. And as far as Democrats are concerned, Houston has been visibly spending gobs on Katrina refugees and they may want to try to play the compassion card by rewarding us with the convention...or they could ruin our reputation with spun information released on a frequent basis relating to our cultural clash with the evacuees. I don't perceive Howard Dean as a very bright strategist...he's the kind that wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to punish Houston for voting red even if it were actively spending public money the way Democrats generally advocate.

There were two publicly-awe-inspiring disasters during the Bush Administration. One was 9/11, which the Republicans skillfully turned into practically their whole political platform...part of that spin was defined by their having had the convention in NYC, the bluest of blue areas, but a rallying point for their base like none other. If the Democrats want to make Katrina their rallying point, which I think they reasonably could if they play their cards right, then they need to come here to really place emphasis on the issue. Besides, where else are they going to go? San Francisco? They'd just alienate their populist FDR-worshiping voters by appearing to support SF's radicalized left.

• 4 weeks later...
Convention(2) are good for Houston. Brings in national attention and money to local hotels restaurants tranportation etc etc etc.

Bring it on!

I wonder if all the big stories surrounding Houston in 2005 gives Houston higher consideration for hosting one of the conventions

I'm referring to the RNC and DNC

We have had BOTH here in recent past. You saying that noone from the RNC or DNC gambles ?

My belief is that having gambling in Galveston will spawn bigger and better business in that area especially touristy type commercial business.

Figure resorts, a new Fertitaland, or Tillmanville.

Bring gambling to Houston :) Along with all the conventions we can get. More money into our local economy, always a good thing :)

C'mon, be realistic. Yeah, gambling would bring more conventions and boost the economy, but the DNC and RNC? I can't ever see those going to Atlantic City or Las Vegas. Closest I can see them going to a gambling area is N.O.

C'mon, be realistic. Yeah, gambling would bring more conventions and boost the economy, but the DNC and RNC? I can't ever see those going to Atlantic City or Las Vegas. Closest I can see them going to a gambling area is N.O.

You're right, you're right. Booze and Hookers......... OK. Losing a few hands at BlackJack............BAD ! God forbid !

If the DNC or RNC wont come here if we get gambling then too bad. The gambling and other conventions would be a constant source of revenue and not a once in 12+ year event......Bring on the gambling and all other conventions!

Archived