Possible Pocket Park - 3201 Navigation Blvd.

I sometimes go on N. Velasco St. to fly my drone from when taking pics of the "Pointe at Bayou Bend" aka 800 Middle apartment project. Almost every time I drive down it lately, I see workers either surveying or today a crew removing the train tracks and the railroad ties. This property belongs to Southern Pacific Railroad Company. There used to be at least 5 rail lines or maybe more a long time ago. I recall seeing lots and lots of new but aged bundles of lumber and maybe sheetrock the very first time I ever rode down this. One time I rode all the to the end of the rail because there was an old rail car sitting on the end of the line.

I'm curious what may be planned for this property.

P4nRDiH.jpg

Kcxbmev.jpg

H4fjFY5.jpg

dScPjgV.jpg

lzDwG83.jpg

UzL3u0I.png

eRyYbzU.png

Ka6QJjf.jpg

• Like 2

The railroad track removal is interesting. 

This area has been believed to the Texas Railroad Heritage Museum's location since the steam locomotive formerly at Minute Maid as well as many passenger cars ended up on the sidings between Cubework and Dua Textiles. Jim Crane donated the engine car to a 501c3 designated with running the museum. The nonprofit has posted on social the museum would be housed on UP-owned property and that it had financial support from UP and the National Railroad Historical Society.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?ref=watch_permalink&v=487217195620408

image.png.9a2b18ea401c7548fd49c57a4499e7d7.pngimage.png.f082ce99f9c7a32f93ced7745db430d1.png

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 1

One of the main guys renovating the old engine told me they had long term plans to build a museum for the old rail cars, but he pointed in an easterly direction as to where it would be. Almost like it would be on the other side of the building where they currently sit. I see them working on it frequently. I will ask him next time I see them. They seem to show up on weekends. The main guy doesn't live in town anymore but come to Houston frequently to work on it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight. The official address for the 501c3 is 3405 Navigation, which is the Dua Textiles building rather than the UP-owned property. I had assumed that was a temporary location until work could start on the UP-owned land, but maybe not if they pointed you east. 

Edited by JClark54

• 6 months later...

Somebody is doing some dirt work here, looks like a pond is being built and several trees felled. The old rail ties are all pushed off to the side in piles. Guessing this could be a Buffalo Bayou pocket park and maybe working on the hike/bike trails along the bayou.

wyOHT2W.jpg

mVQcztU.jpg

5Ve0Bw4.jpg

4ZlwMfV.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Possible Pocket Park - 3201 Navigation Blvd.