Metro Misses Federal Funds This Year

Dang! How bad Houston going to get. We're behind on transit, and other stuff the City needs to play catch up on.

In a tough break for Metro, 11 News has learned it will not get any federal funds this year.

Metro was counting on more than $300 million.

What could this mean for the program?

Link... http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...ds.b944a23.html

Houston's missing out on federal funding for our mass-transit projects - which is why the topic of politics keeps rearing its ugly head on HAIF. If our elected officials had shown more support for METRO's projects instead of thwarting them at every turn, some of that money might be coming our way.

Goodbye, tax dollars! Have fun in Dallas, Salt Lake City, Denver and Portland!

Tom Delay sure has not helped one bit.

At the moment, his "help" may be more of a liability than anything else. Frankly, I just think that our transit plan needs to make more sense, like DART does. We just don't have enough residential density yet to justify hundreds of millions of dollars of expenditure, and no amount of bus route bungling can change that simple fact.

Take express rail service to both airports and a few key suburban park and ride lots, and keep the University Line in play, and I think we'll have something. Toss the BRT.

I agree with Coog. Dallas has the same density, yet they get the funding. I don't understand how the government rationalizes giving funding to cities with lower populations. Houston has the 4th largest population, yet the Salt Lakes and Portlands as well as lesser communities are receiving funds to upgrade rail? Something needs to change.

Does this mean the next rail line to be done by 2012 is on hold? I don't understand how Houston does not get any funding. Our ridership on the main street line has a higher person to mile ratio then other cities, and the number of riders rise every month. How does Dallas get the funding and Houston doesn't? The numbers don't match up.....

TheNiche --We just don't have enough residential density yet to justify hundreds of millions of dollars of expenditure, and no amount of bus route bungling can change that simple fact.

Your kidding me right? Try to gather facts before posting.

According to the FTA document posted above, two of the important criteria for financing are Mobility Improvements and Land Use. I'm guessing we rated low in both as the Rail is not going to speed up passenger's trips in the proposed corridors as Metro busses already run there and the Land Use evaluation seems to place a lot of emphasis on pro-transit zoning by the host cities in the proposed corridors, and of course we can only offer a possibility that developers will flock to those areas and build appropriately dense, pedestrian-friendly projects, not virtual guarantees that other cities can by virtue of zoning laws already in place.

In other words, Houston is a gamble and, with our tax money being diverted by the billions to support world safety through the elimination of weapons of mass destruction, <_< funds are limited and other cities appear to be better investments. Or, maybe it just means we'll get funded in the later phases.

The crime here is not METRO's lack of planning, but the fact that only $1.5 Billion in grants are available for the entire country. With DART getting $700 million of that total (kudos to them), that leaves $800 million for the other 296 million US residents. Given the President's State of the Union goal of reducing Middle East oil imports by 75%, devoting .05% of the $2.77 Trillion budget to mass transit shows where our priorities lie.

By way of comparison, road spending is around $200 Billion per year.

EDIT: Question. I'm getting the impression that METRO was not funded for the North and Southeast lines, which are not as far along as the University line. Am I correct on this? And is the University line currently funded, say from last year?

Edited by RedScare

According to the FTA document posted above, two of the important criteria for financing are Mobility Improvements and Land Use. I'm guessing we rated low in both as the Rail is not going to speed up passenger's trips in the proposed corridors as Metro busses already run there and the Land Use evaluation seems to place a lot of emphasis on pro-transit zoning by the host cities in the proposed corridors, and of course we can only offer a possibility that developers will flock to those areas and build appropriately dense, pedestrian-friendly projects, not virtual guarantees that other cities can by virtue of zoning laws already in place.

In other words, Houston is a gamble and, with our tax money being diverted by the billions to support world safety through the elimination of weapons of mass destruction, <_< funds are limited and other cities appear to be better investments. Or, maybe it just means we'll get funded in the later phases.

That's not right. When I lived in Dallas (pre-rail) DART's bus service had a pretty poor reputation for reliability. Now they are light years ahead in other types of transit. Houston's Metro has done a better job with what it has, so now it is punished for it? Just do a half-assed job. It's the American way!

Be on the lookout for a clarification on this matter at METRO's website. It appears KHOU didn't do the best job of explaining FTA's funding for 2007. Apparently, the sky isn't falling yet.

In fact...

http://www.ridemetro.org/news/releases/pr50.asp

Great Hizzy, thanks for posting that. You kind of made my day with a little hope because i was really frustrated when i heard that Houston wasn't getting ANY funding. We'll see what happens.

Well you have to remember that many other cities got the edge because they're able to develop plans to have other sources of financing to complement federal funds and this is what the government likes. Miami footed the entire bill for a small segment of the line to get "credit" so that the federal government can "reimburse" them by agreeing to pay for another segment. They do the same thing by getting 25% funding from the county government and 25% funding from the state so that the federal government only needs to foot 50% of the bill.

Houston's Metro expected the federal government to foot the entire bill. That was the mistake.

Well you have to remember that many other cities got the edge because they're able to develop plans to have other sources of financing to complement federal funds and this is what the government likes. Miami footed the entire bill for a small segment of the line to get "credit" so that the federal government can "reimburse" them by agreeing to pay for another segment. They do the same thing by getting 25% funding from the county government and 25% funding from the state so that the federal government only needs to foot 50% of the bill.

Houston's Metro expected the federal government to foot the entire bill. That was the mistake.

You are mistaken. METRO built the first segment with no federal dollars. The future sections will be a 50-50 match. The North and Southeast lines are the only ones that got denied, and this was expected, due to low ridership projections.

This is a non-story. Somebody at KHOU doesn't understand the Federal New Starts Process.

Here's the deal: projects in the FTA's New Starts process go through several steps before they are funded. First comes Preliminary Engineering, then Final Design, then the Full Funding Grant Agreement, when federal disbursements for construction are actually made.

Right now, METRO has two projects (north and southeast corridors) in the process. Both of them are at the Preliminary Engineering level. They're not anywhere CLOSE to being funded yet. As METRO's own press release states, "METRO did not expect the Administration to propose funding amounts for its projects because those projects are not far enough along in the federal review process."

This is an example of an overzealous TV station making much ado about nothing.

This is a non-story. Somebody at KHOU doesn't understand the Federal New Starts Process.

Here's the deal: projects in the FTA's New Starts process go through several steps before they are funded. First comes Preliminary Engineering, then Final Design, then the Full Funding Grant Agreement, when federal disbursements for construction are actually made.

Right now, METRO has two projects (north and southeast corridors) in the process. Both of them are at the Preliminary Engineering level. They're not anywhere CLOSE to being funded yet. As METRO's own press release states, "METRO did not expect the Administration to propose funding amounts for its projects because those projects are not far enough along in the federal review process."

This is an example of an overzealous TV station making much ado about nothing.

Thank you for setting the record straight.

(BTW, I think you are waaaayyy too kind in your description of the TV station as merely "overzealous.")

Edited by Houston19514