Does Anyone Else Think This Is Messed Up?

houstonmacbro

The links to the gift list and suggested attire are no longer functioning.

The whole thing is pretty disgusting to me. If you want to have a party like that, and charge a large amount of money to attend, why not at least turn it into a true benefit event, with the funds generated going to do something good in the community?

And the picture of her on the main page for the party says it all. Not only is it horribly tacky, but an airbrushed picture of the birthday girl inside a clip art diamond? Give me a break.

These people are doing nothing but taking advantage of their congregants, most of whom are obviously totally blind to what's really going on.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The links to the gift list and suggested attire are no longer functioning.

The whole thing is pretty disgusting to me. If you want to have a party like that, and charge a large amount of money to attend, why not at least turn it into a true benefit event, with the funds generated going to do something good in the community?

And the picture of her on the main page for the party says it all. Not only is it horribly tacky, but an airbrushed picture of the birthday girl inside a clip art diamond? Give me a break.

These people are doing nothing but taking advantage of their congregants, most of whom are obviously totally blind to what's really going on.

i have a good co-worker who attends that church. she does not see the slightest thing wrong with this party or the gifts being requested or the price of admission. she is a working stiff like me and certainly not in the money.

she has stated that she will just attend the party and not give a gift. i still think even that is outrageous, but hey, it's her money, not mine.

i think this party would have been okay in a private setting with little or no affiliation with the church. if this was a private affair attended by 100 of her closest friends then by all means, ask whatever you want.

it's the affiliation with the church (hosted by on the church's website even!) that really ticks me off.

i also checked the hyatt regency's banquet seating capacity. assuming they rented out a room that seats anywhere from 300 - 1200 people (let's just take a middle number of say 700 guests) they will make (before costs) $75,000. add in say half of that (350) in pricey gucci, prada, or fendi trinkets (purses, etc.) at an average cost of (lowball here) $200 and you are clearing another $70k in gifts. subtract the hired help (needed to load all this stuff into the rooftop helicopter), food, beverages (i wonder if they'll serve wine) and you are talking maybe $50/person (including the room cost) and you are still clearing a TON (around $100,000) of mulah and gifts.

not bad for one night on the town, huh?

i think this party would have been okay in a private setting with little or no affiliation with the church. if this was a private affair attended by 100 of her closest friends then by all means, ask whatever you want.

My problem is exactly that. My interpretation of Christianity is to lead by example. If your example is that of church leader, then shouldn't you act like one at all time to preserve your example? If not, then step down, pay your tithes, do good deeds, and enjoy the benefit of Gucci inspired galas.

Church leaders should show 100% humility as much of the time as possible. We're only human, so I understand that church leaders will falter occasionally throughout their life. But come on, can this lady, her husband, their church, and their followers be taken seriously as a good example of Christianity by supporting and sponsoring an event such as this? :huh:

It is just extremely low class to "require" gifts for ones birthday. With the gift list the "requirement" is definitely implied. And I can't even begin to tell you how low class it is to charge admission to your birthday party.

Amen. The problem is it's just plain tacky and rude to put in an invitation a cover charge to attend the party and the gifts to buy. Also adding where to send gifts if you can't make the party. I mean really. How Klassy.

Maybe she should buy her next doctorate in manners and grace.

Archived