HISD Board Of Education Administration Building

Came across this rare Kenneth Franzheim proposal for the Houston Independent School District Administration/Board of Education building.

I wonder where this was supposed to go? This was in the 1950s, or maybe even in the 1960s.

Love the drawing of the car!! Reminds me of an animated movie. 

veoUrJ2.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2023 at 9:27 AM, Highrise Tower said:

Came across this rare Kenneth Franzheim proposal for the Houston Independent School District Administration/Board of Education building.

I wonder where this was supposed to go? This was in the 1950s, or maybe even in the 1960s.

Love the drawing of the car!! Reminds me of an animated movie. 

veoUrJ2.png

That car looks suspiciously out of place. It looks like a Delahaye, which would have been very rare here.

Delahaye 135 - Wikipedia

1 hour ago, mollusk said:

The Architectural Audi of its time? 🥷

The architectural Audi could only dream of being as cool as the Delahaye. There were a couple of them at the Museum of Fine Arts a few years ago, allowing me to check off a bucket list item.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ross said:

The architectural Audi could only dream of being as cool as the Delahaye. There were a couple of them at the Museum of Fine Arts a few years ago, allowing me to check off a bucket list item.

Yep, the MFAH had a Delahaye 135M Competition Coupe and a 135MS Roadster in that exhibit. Delahayes were all about the lavish custom coachwork, as in those days with high-end cars it was common practice for car builders to sell a bare chassis, and the buyer to commission a coachbuilding firm to construct custom bodywork for it.  In the 1930s, the French coachbuilding firm of Figoni & Falaschi, who clothed both of the Delahayes that were on exhibit here, were at the pinnacle of Art Deco design. 

52881869206_94767c82d2_c.jpg

52881292277_0111630ea7_h.jpg

52881869211_e73117216c_h.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

Yep, the MFAH had a Delahaye 135M Competition Coupe and a 135MS Roadster in that exhibit. Delahayes were all about the lavish custom coachwork, as in those days with high-end cars it was common practice for car builders to sell a bare chassis, and the buyer to commission a coachbuilding firm to construct custom bodywork for it.  In the 1930s, the French coachbuilding firm of Figoni & Falaschi, who clothed both of the Delahayes that were on exhibit here, were at the pinnacle of Art Deco design. 

52881869206_94767c82d2_c.jpg

52881292277_0111630ea7_h.jpg

52881869211_e73117216c_h.jpg

Your pictures are way better than the ones I took at that exhibit. Those are some of the best looking cars ever built.