Intersection of Tuam St. & Genesee St.

This intersection now has a 4 STOP sign, I talked with the crew that was doing the street striping who said it was installed 3 days ago. They said almost every single person has blown thru the Stop sign and that is why they are doing the road striping. They were heating up the paint in the parking lot of the future Jethro's BBQ.

AyHfB7p.jpg

LiHC2G3.jpg

• Like 1

Seems like there might be some miscommunication. Public works was sent out over the weekend is response to someone requesting stop bars. This was the resolution by the public works agent: 

"Resolution :
64. Referred for further investigation

Close Comments :
3/13/23 After completing a field check it was determined that the requested markings are not needed due to this not being a four was stop. The two stop signs that are in place on the EB & Wb legs of this intersection have been installed illegally."

Additional info: "3/13/2023 10:43:44 3/13/23 After completing a field check it was determined that the requested markings are not needed due to this not being a four was stop. The two stop signs that ar e in place on the EB & Wb legs of this intersection have been installed illegally. They both need to be removed as this is a safety hazard. We will be closing this request at this time"

- for those who want to track it, it is case number: 12535054-2300795359

But now apparently stop bars and crosswalk are going in? This could be a TIRZ project that the city is unaware of/failed to acknowledge? We will see if the stop signs and stop bars stay. It will make the intersection safer, so I do hope they make it work! 

Edited by Justin Welling
added the case number so others could follow it on 311's website
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really wish that the city would properly stripe the roads and fix the potholes before imposing this kind of  ...art... on us.

EDIT: I am all for public art, I would just like it to be beautiful.

Edited by aachor
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, aachor said:

I was curious too. It looks like it's a project of the Midtown Management District. Most of their minutes are scanned documents and are not easy to search.

https://midtownhouston.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/MMD-Minutes-5-5-2021-Final-Signed.pdf

I might have mentioned this before, 8-10 years agoAvondale Civic jumped through hoops with COH to adopt this median and also Bagby/Elgin/Westheimer.....somehow MMD charmed COH transfer stewardship from Avondale to them. So not much luv from Avondale now.....

sameolesameole,

nothing happened.

then MMD got spanked by legislature.........very low profile from them after that.

I am surprised the "renewed" MMD is active, more so that public art is coming from them=> those more ole super $$$$ Montrose signs that aligned lighting with the bridge lights over 59.......? What a disaster.

I talked to these two guys, they said it will have lights that change colors and the concrete round things are there to keep cars from hitting the sculpture and will be either painted or possibly have bricks around them, they are still deciding which way to make them look better. It will also be landscaped.

2dCKPBA.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...