Oklahoma City

• 1 month later...

OKC was, in the 70s, deathly afraid of being blocked out, being completely surrounded by Moore, Yukon, Edmond, Midwest City, etc, etc. So they went nuts and turned the tables. They shouldn't have. A lot of the city limits are country, and the sprawl is inefficient for budgetary purposes.

The nice suburbs of OKC are:

Norman (really more like Fort Worth is to Dallas than a suburb to OKC), Newcastle, Moore (though the west side is a slum), Mustang, Yukon, El Reno, Piedmont, EDMOND, Guthrie, Midwest City, and Shawnee (an exurb, granted), and the enclaves. All of the small enclaves on the NW side of town are either extremely nice, or reasonably nice. Nichols Hills is the River Oaks of OKC.

The others are Shiite little towns with acres of hillbillies and farms, much like land surrounding Houston.

Del City is the slum.

That map is also old. Since that map, the city has completed a loop around the north and west sides of town, which is currently being extended south and then back east to connect with Norman (Go Sooners!!) and Newscastle.

I personally think the land should be given back, or done like The Woodlands or Kingwood, developed into a prestigious municipality--only without the intent of returning to OKC.

Perhaps you should look into joining one of many excellant Oklahoma forums?

• 17 years later...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2024/01/08/skyscraper-proposed-for-oklahoma-city-would-be-one-of-us-tallest/

Skyscraper proposed for Oklahoma City would be one of the nation’s tallest

The residential high-rise would tower 134 stories over downtown.

The Red River rivalry between Texas and Oklahoma is headed to new heights. Texas boasts three of the nation’s tallest skyscrapers west of the Mississippi...

No super-tall towers have been built in Texas since the 1980s.

But a project on the drawing boards across the border in Oklahoma could be the second tallest in the country.

Developers of a downtown Oklahoma City project are proposing a 134-story apartment tower as part of a mixed-use complex.

The ambitious development in Oklahoma City’s Bricktown district would also include a hotel, restaurant and retail space. Construction on the first buildings — backed with $200 million in potential public incentives — could start this year.

• Like 1

Hmmmmmm

OKC is my hometown, I've been away 47 years.......but I do get to visit. That Devon building downtown  is just enough tall enough over  the original OKC skyline as to remind me of a huge middle fingered fist for all  see.....now maybe, with this new building, the skyline might look like a hippie peace sign.🙃

Edited by trymahjong
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A 5 million-square-foot mixed-use project that would include 1,776 residential units, 185 condominiums, two hotels, retail, restaurants and the tallest skyscraper in the United States is proposed for Oklahoma City.

Developer Matteson Capital architecture firm AO plan to build three 345-foot-tall towers and an additional supertall 1,907-foot-tall tower at The Boardwalk at Bricktown. The development team had initially filed plans with the city for a 1,750-foot-tall tower that would have made it the second-highest U.S. build behind Lower Manhattan’s 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center.

The development team announced plans late last week to boost the height of the tower and seek a variance for the increase. If approved and built, it would make the skyscraper the fifth tallest in the world. Dubbed Legends Tower, the height of the skyscraper honors the year that Oklahoma became the 46th U.S. state. Similarly, New York’s One World Trade Center is built to commemorate 1776, the year the U.S. declared independence from Great Britain.

However, a city official told the Oklahoma City Free Press that increasing the height of the tower would require rezoning, not just a variance. A rezoning application would have to be submitted to the Planning Commission and ultimately approved by the City Council for a tower of that size to be erected.

Citing the city’s significant period of growth and transformation, Scot Matteson, CEO of Newport Beach, Calif.-based Matteson Capital, said in a prepared statement that Oklahoma City is well-positioned to support large-scale projects like the one the team has envisioned for Bricktown. Matteson said the firm believes the development will become an iconic destination, further driving the expansion and diversification of the city’s growing economy.

The Bricktown Entertainment District is already home to the OKC Thunder’s current arena and the public has voted on a $900 million bond to build the NBA team a new state-of-the-art arena in the area. There will also be a new soccer stadium nearby and a minor league baseball stadium among other attractions.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in May 2013, my children and I just dodged the Moore Oklahoma tornado (EF 5).  We had approx. a 15 minute warning. This was my second EF5, the first the 1966 Topeka tornado.  We had 10 minute warning. Ten days after Moore, a 2.5 mile EF5 hit El Reno outside OKC, killing three experienced storm chasers ( the tornado unusually went NW to SE for a short while). I do not know what type of engineering has to be placed to protect people in a supertall skyscraper during an EF 5. I cannot imagine a building that size could be evacuated in time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...