West Loop Raceway On McCue Rd.

roym

What was the name of the dirt track on South Main? I went there only once as a kid in the mid 70s and a car flipped over right in front of us. It was really cool! :-)

That site sat vacant for a very long time and I think was still there in the mid to late 80s.

Also, anyone know what the name of the motorcycle racing track that used to be at 59 & 610?

I have seen some web sites here and there dedicated to old auto racing sites in various locations around the country but never any for the Houston area. Now that would be awesome!

• Like 1

What was the name of the dirt track on South Main? I went there only once as a kid in the mid 70s and a car flipped over right in front of us. It was really cool! :-)

That site sat vacant for a very long time and I think was still there in the mid to late 80s.

Was that Playland Park? There are a number of posts here about it.

Was that Playland Park? There are a number of posts here about it.

I'm sorta thinking it was based on several posts about it here and other places. There's a thread about it on the Houston Area Postcard club site.

Someone said it was located at S. Main & Murworth - which would be inside the loop (currently).

Found a small news item about it on Historic Houston: "July 1951: A gang riot erupts near Playland Park and 36 youths are jailed."

For some reason I'm thinking of a racetrack that was further south on the Alt 90 section much closer to Stafford/Sugarland.

For some reason I'm thinking of a racetrack that was further south on the Alt 90 section much closer to Stafford/Sugarland.

The only one out that direction would have been Meyer Speedway. It was located just west of Butler Stadium about where Hillcroft is. It was a half-mile paved track. The Playland track was long gone in the mid-70's.

• 16 years later...
On 4/3/2006 at 4:03 PM, roym said:

Also, anyone know what the name of the motorcycle racing track that used to be at 59 & 610?

I have seen some web sites here and there dedicated to old auto racing sites in various locations around the country but never any for the Houston area. Now that would be awesome!

You must be speaking about the Mountain Park Speedway. According to HAIF user @jwphillips2 :

I wish I could remember Mr. Jackson's first name. He owned the three 10,000 square foot warehouses behind Sakowitz and Zindlers that became the Catacombs. He was a risk taker and developed some of his other projects into the first motocross track at the patch of dirt surrounded by Richmond, S. Post Oak, and 610 West. That later became the Texas Amphitheater.

__

I was looking around the neighborhood of Mountain Park and I noticed another oval track and motocross zigzag track on bounded by Richmond Ave. and McCue Rd.

What's this about? Race tracks were just everywhere back in the day!! These tracks are located at the present-day Providence Uptown apartments at 3323 McCue Road and the Galleria Parc Apartments at 3363 McCue Road. Next door to the Best Buy on Richmond store.

These tracks must be the real Mountain Park race tracks? Those tracks had an address of 5100/5000 Westpark, not on McQue. They were located across the freeway from each other. I'd say they are separate tracks!

1973, you can see Mountain Park on the bottom portion and the dual race tracks on the top.

Spoiler

FpyKHJd.png

Close up of the oval and zigzag tracks:

Spoiler

quQ2CXE.png

By 1976 the tracks were filled in with grass:

Spoiler

Buqpjv9.png

2023, with both apartment complexes:

YIj8F0y.png

• The title was changed to West Loop Raceway On McQue Rd.

Hunting a particular Speedway/Raceway/Race Track in Houston and came across this during my scope.

Is this it? The time frame in the original posting is the same as the business incorporation date. HAIF we did it!!

West Loop Raceway, Inc.

Incorporation Date: February 6, 1967
Dissolution Date: January 20, 1972
Inactive Directors/Office: Ralph P Reynolds

ludPYXM.jpg

• The title was changed to West Loop Raceway On McCue Rd.