Who's Got The Larger Downtown?

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

I hearf from people and stuff saying that Houston has a large DOwntown. I'm thinking noway that can't be. Houston's Downtown seems tiny to me.

I would think big is in places liek Chicago and New York. While Manhattan is obviously larger than Houston's Downtown how large is Downtown Manhattan. Downtown Manhattan and lower Manhattan are kida the same thing. I's the busies part of New York City.

I always envisioned New Yorks DOwntown as mega mega bigger than ours.

I hearf from people and stuff saying that Houston has a large DOwntown. I'm thinking noway that can't be. Houston's Downtown seems tiny to me.

I would think big is in places liek Chicago and New York. While Manhattan is obviously larger than Houston's Downtown how large is Downtown Manhattan. Downtown Manhattan and lower Manhattan are kida the same thing. I's the busies part of New York City.

I always envisioned New Yorks DOwntown as mega mega bigger than ours.

Houston's downtown is quite large, relatively speaking, but nowhere near Manhattan. Essentially, "Downtown Manhattan" is just part of their overall picture. Most of everything south of 59th Street from Midtown down to Battery Park could be considered New York's central business district. Then, of course, there's a growing CBD in Brooklyn, with 40-story highrises and across the Hudson in New Jersey, with several clusters of tall buildings and, in fact, many mid-sized cities with their own "downtowns".

To put things into perspective, the area I mentioned in Manhattan would cover about 1/4 of the entire inner-loop of Houston. Our Downtown is maybe 1/5 of that.

Like NY, however, our business districts are not all in one place. In fact, Uptown Houston contains more Class-A office space than the City of Denver. Other large cities don't have nearly the large business district that we do -- Phoenix, LA, Dallas, Philadelphia, Miami, Atlanta....None of these has even close to the amount of office space that Houston has Downtown. LA is probably closest, though.

Some cities, like San Francisco blur the boundaries of their "downtown" like Manhattan does. In SF, Virtually anywhere on the peninsula above Market Street feels like Downtown, though the actual office area is really very small.

So, I guess it depends on definitions and perspectives. But, rest assured, though Houston's is not very lively outside of business hours, it is one of the largest in the country. The life is coming back, too.

Guest Plastic

Well of course Downtown is trying to be rennovated to bring people back after business hours.

WHat about Chicago, I know they've got to have a larger Downtown. And you say DOwntown Manhattan are you talking about the entire district of Manhattan or Downtown. Manhattan is divided into 3 districts,Uptown,Midetown,and Downtown Manhattan. Lower manhattan is with Downtown I believe and itis the busiest section of New York. WHen New Yorkers say Downtown they mean Lower Manhattan.

AS MY GUESS

Many amount of skyscrapers

but not by height level

1. New york is our largest downtown in america

2. Chicago

3. Houston

4. Dallas

5. Atlanta Downtown/Midtown

6. Los Angeles

7. Seattle

8. San Francisco

9. San Diego

10. Boston

11. Philadelphia

12. Phoenix

13. Minneapolis

14. Miami

15. Denver

houston_highway.jpg

Houston, TX

dallas26.jpg

Dallas, TX

atlanta11.jpg

Atlanta, GA Midtown/Downtown

036%20Los%20Angeles.jpg

Los Angeles, CA

seattle-seacrest23.jpg

Seattle, WA

train-soundch-1.02.jpg

San Francisco, CA

san_diego_skyline_sm.jpg

San Diego, CA

Boston_Skyline_Web.jpg

Boston, MA

pa-philadelphia-v74_74025b.jpg

Philadelphia, PA

Well of course Downtown is trying to be rennovated to bring people back after business hours.

WHat about Chicago, I know they've got to have a larger Downtown. And you say DOwntown Manhattan are you talking about the entire district of Manhattan or Downtown. Manhattan is divided into 3 districts,Uptown,Midetown,and Downtown Manhattan. Lower manhattan is with Downtown I believe and itis the busiest section of New York. WHen New Yorkers say Downtown they mean Lower Manhattan.

Manhattan is a borough, not a district.

Other than that, what's the point in a size contest?

B)

I want someone from Manhattan to verify for me that even though there are 20 different districts, they still acknowledge Manhattan as "3 main areas".

Officialy there are 12. None of them are called "Downtown".

B)

Guest Plastic

How could Los Angeles rank 6.

Houston has a larger Downtown that Philly and Boston? Their Downtown's must be puny.

Although ours is larger theres must be more busy.

I want someone from Manhattan to verify for me that even though there are 20 different districts, they still acknowledge Manhattan as "3 main areas".
Manhattan is a borough, not a district.

Other than that, what's the point in a size contest?

B)

Officialy there are 12. None of them are called "Downtown".

B)

I suppose someone could say Uptown, Midtown and Downtown are 'three areas'.

And yes, there are 12 community districts in Manhattan, as established by city charter in 1975.

NYC Department of City Planning

Guest Plastic

It's not a contest.

A little of direction,I always wondered why we have such tall buildings in America. They're #1 at everything in places liek Europe and Asia but their skylines look pittyfull.

It's not a contest.

A little of direction,I always wondered why we have such tall buildings in America. They're #1 at everything in places liek Europe and Asia but their skylines look pittyfull.

Please go look at some Asian skylines and re-think your post. Or, perhaps, just think it.

Yeah..those SuperTalls in Aisia are really "pittyfull"...

med_jmaoskyline_471.jpgmed_08_2000mtrfromabove_2294.jpgmed_north_2418.jpgmed_xiamen_141.jpg

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

3 main areas.

Regarding Manhattan- isn't it simply a directional thing- not so much about districts or areas.

Along a north-south axis on the island- a person is either Uptown/north - Midtown - Downtown/south.

Using the same north-south axis thinking- in Houston, I wonder why our Downtown isn't actually called Uptown.

Of course we have a Midtown-which continuing south would include the Museum District.

And finally, though separated by Hermann Park, would be the Medical Center/Reliant Park or Downtown.

Now, our Uptown is west of Downtown. Which is par for the course in Houston. :D

But I'll cut Uptown some slack- given that it's uptown of the Galleria. :o

Guest Plastic
Yeah..those SuperTalls in Aisia are really "pittyfull"...

med_jmaoskyline_471.jpgmed_08_2000mtrfromabove_2294.jpgmed_north_2418.jpgmed_xiamen_141.jpg

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

1,2 or 3 skyscapers doesn't make a skyline. There are only a hanfull of those tall spkyscapers around Asia. The reast are small in comparison to ours.

And as for Uptown, uptown can be either a business district. to the North of Downtown or an area awayfrom DOwntown.

And as for Downtown it can be the Southern mostbusiness district in the town or can be the actuall center.

1,2 or 3 skyscapers doesn't make a skyline. There are only a hanfull of those tall spkyscapers around Asia. The reast are small in comparison to ours.

And as for Uptown, uptown can be either a business district. to the North of Downtown or an area awayfrom DOwntown.

And as for Downtown it can be the Southern mostbusiness district in the town or can be the actuall center.

I would suggest that the four buildings I displayed are a mere fraction of the skyscrapers all over Asia-including the 8 of the ten world's tallest.

You may benefit from a quick trip to http://www.skyscraperpage.com/

[by the way, I was unable to locate any "spkyscrapers"]

B)

People in the West have a distorted view of Asian skylines. They have huge cities, but untiil recently the skyscrapers weren't that great. Tokyo's tallest building (TMGO) is shorter than the apartment building I live in now.

Tallest building in Tokyo: 799 feet.

Bank of America, Houston: 780 feet.

Tallest building in Houston: 1,002 feet.

The problem has been that the biggest cities in Asia have always been in the most earthquake-prone areas because earthquakes and volcanos make great ports. With recent advances in construction technology, many Asian cities like Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai are starting to catch up. They have a few fantastic buildings like IFC2 in Hong Kong, but most of the good ones are still under construction.

Building only

Tallest in Beijing: 682 feet

Tallest in Tokyo: 799 feet

Tallest in Houston: 1,002 feet

Tallest in New York: 1,250 feet

Tallest in Hong Kong: 1,335 feet

Tallest in Shanghai: 1,380 feet

Tallest in Chicago: 1,451 feet

With antenna, spires, etc...

Tallest in Beijing: 682 feet

Tallest in Tokyo: 799 feet

Tallest in Hong Kong: 1,364 feet

Tallest in Shanghai: 1,380 feet

Tallest in Chicago: 1,730 feet

Tallest in New York: 1,472 feet

Including communication towers

Tallest in Tokyo: 1,091 feet

Tallest in Beijing: 1,268 feet

Tallest in Hong Kong: 1,364 feet

Tallest in New York: 1,472 feet

Tallest in Shanghai: 1,535 feet

Tallest in Chicago: 1,730 feet

Guest Plastic

People in the West have a distorted view of Asian skylines. They have huge cities, but untiil recently the skyscrapers weren't that great. Tokyo's tallest building (TMGO) is shorter than the apartment building I live in now.

Tallest building in Tokyo: 799 feet.

Bank of America, Houston: 780 feet.

Tallest building in Houston: 1,002 feet.

The problem has been that the biggest cities in Asia have always been in the most earthquake-prone areas because earthquakes and volcanos make great ports. With recent advances in construction technology, many Asian cities like Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai are starting to catch up. They have a few fantastic buildings like IFC2 in Hong Kong, but most of the good ones are still under construction.

Well yes but asian cities don't seem to have many hordes of buildings in their skylines regardless of height. And for the record Europe doesn't have many skyline seither. Berlin,Frankfurt,and Paris are about the only ones htat have any "real" skyline.

Archived