Winchester Club On Post Oak Blvd.

NenaE

Have really enjoyed reading these posts about 70's music in Houston. I remember Randy Cormer, Issac Payton Sweat, and the others. I was too young to go to the clubs mentioned but I was a faithful listener to KIKK & KNUZ when they were on the air.Love music to this day especially classic country. Favorite is still Gene Watson and his new CD is one of his bests love it.

Just wanted to throw this out there. Does anyone remember the Icehouse in Pasadena I think that is what they called it in the 70's they were always talking about that place on the radio. Would love to know if its still there and would love to see a pic. Thanks

Those names sound very familiar to me, think some of them played at a hall on Bissonnet, Bellaire area, in the early to mid '80's. I recall "Beer Bust" night & a live band, when "happy hour" was in full swing. Some years later, I preferred "The Rose", nice club.

I don't recall that hospital. From the aerials, looks like it was designed in the sixties, has atriums. Wish there was a picture of it, somewhere.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

Those names sound very familiar to me, think some of them played at a hall on Bissonnet, Bellaire area, in the early to mid '80's. I recall "Beer Bust" night & a live band, when "happy hour" was in full swing. Some years later, I preferred "The Rose", nice club.

I don't recall that hospital. From the aerials, looks like it was designed in the sixties, has atriums. Wish there was a picture of it, somewhere.

You must be talking about the Winchester Club that Issac played, and the Yellow Rose. I managed to go to the Yellow Rose one time and it was a bit crowded with the layout. I did go to the Winchester often, but home was the Wells Fargo.

• Like 1

You must be talking about the Winchester Club that Issac played, and the Yellow Rose. I managed to go to the Yellow Rose one time and it was a bit crowded with the layout. I did go to the Winchester often, but home was the Wells Fargo.

Yeah...that was it, Winchester. It was just a big, plain hall. I preferred the nicely decorated ones, a little later, for instance, Kenny Stabler's Diamondback Saloon...(I-45 South). There was one on the NW side, too.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

• 11 years later...

Found this newspaper article and saved it. Sadly, I cannot remember which newspaper publication is was from.  I do know a date! April 4, 1973.

Article:

Houston landmark demolished Monday.

The old Winchester Club on South Post Oak between Richmond and West Alabama was demolished by the Olshan Demolishing Company Monday, April 2.  The mark the passing of the Winchester Club. Olshan hosted the last dance at the Winchester at 11 a.m. Monday.

Instead of sadness the air was festive at the passing of this old building. Music provided b the J.R. Brodi band featuring Leon “Papper” Selph on the fiddle. There was also a caller and eight square dancers.

The climax the last number, Brodie laid his guitar and picked up the levers of the wrecking crane to start the death of a land mark.

Houstonians have waitzed polka-ed and Cotton-eye Joe-ed in the sounds of the country music's finest at the Winchester. A few of the entertainers who have been featured there are Conway Twitty, Loretta Lyn, Johnny Paycheck, Jerry Lee Lewis, Willie Nelson, Jeannie C. Riley, Waylon Jennings, and Al Dean. And, for the last time the Winchester Club really jumped at the Wrecking Ball.

Olshan wrecked the building for the Gerald D. Hines Interests.

No immediate plans have been made for the location.

3JfvTSy.jpg

Photo of a band inside The Winchester Club.

GeRG1gC.jpg

• Like 2