Bicycle Lanes

Parrothead

I can count on one hand the number of bikers I have actually seen on the city-designated "bike lanes" in the past few years since Lee Brown made the idiotic decision to put them where they simply aren't necessary.

For instance, along Kirkwood. I mean, they put bike lanes on the worst road in town. I never see any bikes on them--who would ride a bike on them when driving it is enough of a hazard? Now the lanes are even more narrow than before, so skinny & bumpy & potholes = seriously bad alignment issues <_<

IMHO this is just a huge waste of money! I could understand it if people used them, but out here in Memorial, I haven't seen nearly enough traffic to justify the paint, let alone the labor it must have cost taxpayers.

Am I off-base on this? Are there parts of the city where this actually works?

It's good to know some get used. I would imagine inside the loop they get more wear. It's frustrating to be squeezed off of the road when clearly no one is using them out here.

Federal money still comes from taxpayers. If we added up all of the wasted revenue on these little, insignificant but badly planned projects I bet it would blow our leeetle miiiinds.

It's good to know some get used. I would imagine inside the loop they get more wear. It's frustrating to be squeezed off of the road when clearly no one is using them out here.

Federal money still comes from taxpayers. If we added up all of the wasted revenue on these little, insignificant but badly planned projects I bet it would blow our leeetle miiiinds.

If we don't use the money, it just goes to some other city. Better to use it here badly than to see it used well somewhere else, no?

It's frustrating to be squeezed off of the road when clearly no one is using them out here.

The bikers are squeezing the cars off the road now? :lol:

I use them when I ride my bike (which is not often enough). Just last night (about 8 hours ago) I saw a couple guys riding their bikes down Fountainview, OUTSIDE THE LOOP! :o

I think the bike lanes are great. I much prefer driving up behind a biker who's got his own lane, than coming up behind one where the lanes aren't marked. It's much more or a pain in the rear.

Even if you consider it a waste of money, at least it's a cheap waste of money. The bike lanes didn't require any new concrete to be poured...just some new traffic striping.

At the very worst the bike lanes are harmless...I believe you've still got at least 10' of width in each car lane after the bike lanes are striped out.

Score one for Lee P. Brown in my book!

The bike lanes are part of the tranportation funds that come from gas taxes, among other things. They are actually quite an efficient use of money and space. Many of these lanes only cost a few hundred thousand dollars to mark. You might build a several mile trail for a million or so. Combined with bike racks on the METRO busses, the reach of mass transit is magnified. Imagine a 2 mile radius circle around every bus stop. Anyone can ride a bike 2 miles, even in Houston. So, the bike lanes add 2 miles to the reach of the bus route for pennies on the dollar.

Compare that to $2.8 Billion for 23 miles of rebuilt Katy Freeway, $122 Million per MILE, and a million dollars for many miles of bike lanes doesn't sound too bad. Plus, if we're going to keep the minimum wage at $5.15 per hour, we need to provide a system for those workers to get to those pathetic jobs that doesn't involve a several hundred dollar car payment.

Plus, they allow the H-GAC to tell the Feds that they are working HARD to be in compliance with the Clean Air Act, by providing these bike lanes. Looks good on paper, miles and miles of bike lanes, even if no one ever uses them, and gets the 8-county Houston "region" more money for more freeways. :lol:

That all sounds nice in theory. I still think they're crap. ;) How are they efficient if only a handful of people use them?

Yes, Timmy Chan, I get squeezed out, especially when traffic is heavy on Kirkwood, it's unnerving to be that close to another car. I did laugh, though, when you actually said, "Score one for Lee Brown." As if. :lol:

and....no, I don't agree with "better to use it here badly than somewhere else." :huh:

I guess what I am saying by posting all of this is.....they annoy me because I never see them used around here and it seems like a huge waste of money........and I wanted to know, do they annoy anyone else?

The bike lanes are part of the tranportation funds that come from gas taxes, among other things. They are actually quite an efficient use of money and space. Many of these lanes only cost a few hundred thousand dollars to mark. You might build a several mile trail for a million or so. Combined with bike racks on the METRO busses, the reach of mass transit is magnified. Imagine a 2 mile radius circle around every bus stop. Anyone can ride a bike 2 miles, even in Houston. So, the bike lanes add 2 miles to the reach of the bus route for pennies on the dollar.

Compare that to $2.8 Billion for 23 miles of rebuilt Katy Freeway, $122 Million per MILE, and a million dollars for many miles of bike lanes doesn't sound too bad. Plus, if we're going to keep the minimum wage at $5.15 per hour, we need to provide a system for those workers to get to those pathetic jobs that doesn't involve a several hundred dollar car payment.

I like the idea of bike lanes and find them a welcome change to trying to fight traffic on or off sidewalks, but why would they cost "a few hundred thousand dollars" to mark?!!

They have them on pretty bad stretches of road out here. I don't know how anyone could ride a bike over huge chunks of broken pavement. Most people use the sidewalk even though it is illegal. Regadless, I am in favor of widening sidewalks to accomodate bikers and pedestrians.

That all sounds nice in theory. I still think they're crap. ;) How are they efficient if only a handful of people use them?

You are clearly not a bike rider. It is a shame. You do not know what you are missing. I do not mean this insultingly, but bike riding is like quitting smoking (I know because I smoke in addition to riding my bike). The liberation from something that you have heretofore considered enjoyable (smoking and driving a motor vehicle) is exhilerating. Bike riding is not like walking or jogging in that you can actually traverse long distances (for instance, Katy to Shiner, or Houston to Austin) at a reasonable speed, and with a minimum of effort.

Even if you only cycle recreationally, you will quickly find bike lanes non-offensive.

I used to use the West Alabama lanes to ride from my house in the Montrose area all the way to UH's Central Campus. They were great. Also meant I could ride right up to the GSSW Bldg on campus and not have to deal with the UH parking mafia. Was also a good way to get home after a long day at the Ice House.

I understand that those lanes are now gone and that some genius decided to allow traffic to fly down the former center turning lane (east en la manana and west at night). What's even worse is you can't make left turns off of the street anymore at any of the major intersections. That's just brilliant.

Just another example of Houston servicing the DESIRES (it ain't a need) of suburban commuters over actual Inner Loop dwellars. Nothing like turning a great neighborhood and the home of the Menil Collection into a mini- US 59!

AND, as for bike lanes on the far West side of town, I see people use them from time to time. Like Redscare said, underpaid workers have to be able to get to work sometime. If you actually pay attention, you might see USED bike racks in some unexpected places (like Cafe Express on Voss at Woodway and near the REI on Westheimer).

I loved to ride my bike....until it was stolen a few years back. I never did get a new one, but I have been bugging hubby to get us some. Growing up, I had the luxury of greenbelts, so that probably has an effect on my feelings. You might be right in that if I still rode today, my mindset might be different... If I did, it would be a pretty safe bet that I would choose not to ride on Kirkwood. I was the kind of rider that chose designated bike paths away from roads, like Terry Hershey park and the trails along Buffalo Bayou, or just random quiet neighborhoods. That's just me, though.

Long shot here, but I figured I'd ask you guys....

Does anyone know if there is a non-lethal bike route from the Heights to the general Rice U/TMC area? I would love to ride into work a few times a week, but frankly the "bike routes" I've seen look like suicide runs to me. The main thing I am worried about is getting from the Heights across 10 - seems like too much traffic entering and exiting the freeway and access road.

I've tried bikehouston.org, and looked at the city created bike maps, but those have been no help.

I think this route might be impossible, but maybe someone on here knows something I don't....

Thanks!

Go here and click on Houston Bikeways Map, if you haven't already.

http://www.publicworks.cityofhouston.gov/bikeways/maps.htm

Depending on where in the Heights you live, you can ride down Heights Blvd. to I-10. Walk across the feeders, then take the sidewalks on Waugh to West Gray, where the bike lanes start up again. I promise, no one will give you a ticket for using a sidewalk.

You might also try emailing Lilibeth Andre, the city's bicycle coordinator. She is listed on the link I posted. She is very helpful.

Good Luck.

I'm a frequent biker, but I have to admit I'm of two minds about the bike lanes. They aren't well used, and as a result they accumulate a lot of gravel, glass, etc., so the designated lanes tend to be rough rides. Rather than find a designated lane, I just take the most direct side streets I can. Failing that, sometimes I just ride down the more main streets. If they don't want a bike lane on Alabama, fine, I just ride on the main lanes. That probably annoys some drivers, but it's legal and overall I've always found Houston to be a fairly bike-friendly city. Of course, that doesn't mean there isn't the occasional jerk out there who thinks that bikes don't belong on streets.

Sunsets, if I were going from the Heights to Rice U/Med Center, I would probably take Heights-Waugh to where it turns into Commonwealth (that stretch has a bike lane). Before you hit Westheimer cut west on Fairview for a couple of blocks, then south on Mandell to Bissonnet, and then past Sunset to Rice. It's a pretty straight shot, and traffic isn't so bad.

Btw, I think bicycle lane funding comes from ISTEA, the Intermodal Surface Transportation Equity Act, or something like that.

W.r.t. the original question, it strikes me as a bit disproportionate to begrudge the bicycle lanes. C'mon, it's not like the huge number of bike lanes in Houston is causing the traffic jams out there. The amount spent on bikeways is peanuts compared to road building. I've been in other cities, like Denver and Portland, where people boast about the extensive bikeway networks as a great civic amenity. Maybe rather than complain about those awful bike lanes squeezing all those poor SUVs off the road, take the positive view that they contribute to the city's livability in a small way, at a small cost. :)

I was the kind of rider that chose designated bike paths away from roads, like Terry Hershey park and the trails along Buffalo Bayou, or just random quiet neighborhoods.

I like to wander through neighborhoods too, but usually people on bikes have a destination in mind, so sticking to park trails isn't really an option.

From the City of Houston Bikeways website:

"The Houston Bikeway program began in 1993, when City Council approved the Houston Comprehensive Bikeway Network Plan. The implementation of the projects under the plan is funded through the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) of 1991. These federal funds provide 80% of the project cost and require transportation enhancement and air quality criteria.

On March 1, 2003, the City of Houston met its regional commitment for air quality by completing over 260 miles of bikeways. These bikeways were submitted as Transportation Control Measures under the State Implementation Plan for air quality compliance."

The argument could be made that those bikeways, as well as the cyclists using them, allow you more freedom in driving you car, while lessening the restrictions placed on its use.

I do agree with Subdude that the natural tendency for debris to be pushed to the side of the road does tend to make some bikeways minefields. A little more consistency in sweeping the bikeways would help.

I appreciate the replies re: bike routes from the Heights. I just might have to try that out this weekend.

Anyone know what the status is of bike rack installation on the Metro buses? I was under the impression that Metro was dragging its heels on this. Which is a shame.

• 1 month later...
Jones and Robin Holzer of the Citizens Transportation Coalition said that residents still would like to see the city undo the changes made to Alabama in anticipation of a traffic deluge.

They include a reversible center lane they say confuses many drivers, right-turn restrictions that lead to accidents, and the removal of bike lanes.

Public Works Department spokesman Wes Johnson said no decision has been made on Alabama's future.

"We will monitor the flow of traffic and make a decision after we have enough data to indicate what should be done," he said. "We will also likely hold a public meeting at some point to learn what the community would like to see happen."

Originally the city promised to restore the bike lanes and traffic configuration on Alabama after the Spur rebuilding was completed. Looks like they're backtracking on that one. Gee, now why does that not surprise me?

Link to the Chronicle article

I can count on one hand the number of bikers I have actually seen on the city-designated "bike lanes" in the past few years since Lee Brown made the idiotic decision to put them where they simply aren't necessary.

For instance, along Kirkwood. I mean, they put bike lanes on the worst road in town. I never see any bikes on them--who would ride a bike on them when driving it is enough of a hazard? Now the lanes are even more narrow than before, so skinny & bumpy & potholes = seriously bad alignment issues <_<

IMHO this is just a huge waste of money! I could understand it if people used them, but out here in Memorial, I haven't seen nearly enough traffic to justify the paint, let alone the labor it must have cost taxpayers.

The only gripe that I have about bike paths is that they can create one more thing that a driver has to concentrate on. It's really bad during rush hour on Cambridge St. and OST, where the bike lane zags across one lane of traffic and becomes the center lane at a stop light. I like that the bike path is there, but I wish that there were a better way to keep the bikes from mingling so much with traffic. Its an accident waiting to happen.

As long as they don't crazily cut across lanes of traffic, bike paths are fine by me...just another way at beating Dallas to the federal teet.

I see what you mean, but does the bike lane become the center lane because the right lane is meant for right turns only? Yeah, it sucks to watch out for a biker unexpectedly moving into your lane, but they probably did that so that the right turning traffic wouldn't be held up by a biker at the stoplight.

On the advice of Redscare, I've been using the Heights/Waugh route to bike to work on occasion. I don't get it. Nice bike lane on Heights, easily takes you through the I-10 underpass. Nice bike lane on Commonwealth- takes you into the nice quiet Montrose area. But in between? Apparently bikers are supposed to vaporize at Washington and re-materialize on the other side of the Waugh street bridge and Memorial Park interchange. 3 lanes on either side, traffic merging, and there's me in the right lane, desperately trying to move from the right hand turn lane to the center through lane going north to the Washington St intersection. So I'm forced to the sidewalk, which pretty much sucks. Oh, and the sidewalk going south across the bridge just....ends. It never even makes it all the way across the interchange.

Is it really too much to ask to have ONE reasonable bike route from the Heights? Apparently so.

Though I did see the awesome sight of the Waugh St bridge bat colony on the wing as I walked the bike across the interchange this evening.....

It works for me and many others here in the Heights. Many of us value exercise and the simple pleasure of escape from our many times too busy lives. A healthy, clean bike ride to maybe no where just for the pleasure and exercise of it or a trip to the store far out weighs the "convinence" of a 5 mile, single passenger, 6'-7" foot wide SUV trip to a Baskin and Robbins or an Atkins meeting as compared to the approx. 27" width on my bike.

In no way is this a waste of my tax dollars. On the contrary, I find that my tax dollars have for once been selfishly well spent.

B)

Apparently bikers are supposed to vaporize at Washington and re-materialize on the other side of the Waugh street bridge and Memorial Park interchange. 3 lanes on either side, traffic merging, and there's me in the right lane, desperately trying to move from the right hand turn lane to the center through lane going north to the Washington St intersection. So I'm forced to the sidewalk, which pretty much sucks. Oh, and the sidewalk going south across the bridge just....ends. It never even makes it all the way across the interchange.

Is it really too much to ask to have ONE reasonable bike route from the Heights? Apparently so.

Though I did see the awesome sight of the Waugh St bridge bat colony on the wing as I walked the bike across the interchange this evening.....

MAN, I am so totally there with you on that. Having had many near death experiences on the Waugh/Memorial bridge I have come to avoid it at all costs. I ride to TMC quite often and have changed my route because I don't want to get killed on my way to a place that's helping keep me alive :lol:

Now I take the "back way" through Woodland Heights to Watson/Taylor/Sawyer through the 6th Ward through HPD property to Bagby, up through Midtown behind Specs across to Crawford then down to the park and across to MD in the med center. It actually is a better trip for me, health wise.

BTW, I have yet to see the bats...my little sister and her daughters saw them a while back and I've had many friends see them as well. I've been across there at sunset but have never seen them....maybe they've gone on vacation? ^_^

B)

BTW, I have yet to see the bats...my little sister and her daughters saw them a while back and I've had many friends see them as well. I've been across there at sunset but have never seen them....maybe they've gone on vacation? ^_^

B)

Apparently, they moved into my building. The building owner saw them sleeping in the cracks between the bricks. So, they smoked them out and caulked the cracks. Only problem was that many of the bats did not get out. They went further into the building. Once trapped, they found ways into the office. They collected 18-20 in my office over a period of 4 days. :o

Pretty cool little critters, though.

Bike lanes are a JOKE. Lee Brown should be ashamed, and I want my money back. You'll be risking death if you think that a little stripe cutting the right lane will keep those 2 ton cars from squishing you like a Texas garden roach. Not to mention Metro buses with teeth. Houston is not a biking city. (I've biked MS150 numerous times, plus thousands of miles around town. not *IN* town. so don't tell me I'm not a biker.)

Houston is not a bike friendly city. You want to bike here? Get a motorcycle. Bike lanes are/were the biggest waste of money in this city. $2.6B for the Katy freeway will be a miniscule cost divided by the number of people who use it EVERY DAY. Count the few tens of people who use the disintegrating "bike lanes" and you got a damn good bargain at $2.6B.

Archived