George Hermann Sawmill - Brays Bayou Lumber Company

Highrise Tower

George Hermann Sawmill - Brays Bayou Lumber Company.

I was hoping to get more information on George Hermann's sawmill from the the era of the late 1800s to the early 1900s. This saw mill warehouse/factory was the site of the present-day Hermann Park. 

Countless of internet articles reference the 285 (or 385) acres that was donated to the city to build Hermann Park.  Sadly, the internet articles do not offer much.  Anything deeper? 

What was the address of the saw mill? What was the saw mill business name? Are there any photographs of the saw mill?  Any details about the wooded prairie land that was once apart of G.H. Hermann's saw mill business? 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

From the book: A Houston legacy: On the corner of Main and Texas by McAshan, Marie Phelps
Publication date: 1985

I am not too sure how accurate this is.  Maybe they are mistaken for Holmes Road? :ph34r:

In 1886 William Marsh Rice acquired the Capitol Hotel for back taxes and added a five story annex where the stables had been. When Rice Institute acquired the property, at his bequest, the name was changed to Rice Hotel. Of little interest to Houstonians was a quagmire way out Main Street. For thirty years, Houston garbage had been dumped there. That it was a no-man's-land.

George Hermann could testify. In 1887, he was running a wood and saw mill on 284 acres across from the garbage dump.

George Hermann, the son of Swiss immigrants John and Fannie Hermann, lived where the City Hall reflection pool is now. On a trip to New York, Hermann became ill and collapsed unconscious on the sidewalk. On regaining consciousness, he found himself in a large charity hospital. The indifferent, even cruel treatment he received horrified him. He vowed that once he got well he would build a charity hospital in Houston. Hermann Hospital and Herman Park are in Houston today, thanks to one of the most tightfisted men in Houston's history.

en6Z8Wb.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to George Hermann Sawmill - Brays Bayou Lumber Co. On South Main St.

Found it!

From the 1902 City of Houston Directory. 121-years ago!

Hermann George H., prop Brays Bayou Lumber Co., bds 512 Rusk ave.

zBXh72K.jpg

Wood Dealers.
Bray's Bayou Lumber Co., e of S. Main 1/2 mile s of G.H. & S.A. Rv.
(Galveston Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad)

0EatklX.jpg

From a 1995 Hermann Park master plan.

Forrest east of Rice Institute, 1912

KgD1gP2.jpg

From a 1913 City of Houston map, showing all the different George Hermann parcels in the area.

ATU7lml.jpg

It's looking like the actual sawmill was on Almeda Road?
The city directory says East of South Main, and half mile from the GHSA Railroad.  I see Brays Bayou (or Harris Gully?) crossing on the right side of the parcel.

I listed the South Main address, because that was the only, given, street name on the directory listing. I wonder why the city directory didn't say Almeda?

itqLrdr.jpg

• The title was changed to George Hermann Sawmill - Brays Bayou Lumber Company