Does anyone have any information about what building was here? I just love walking past this since they tore it down a couple of years ago. They are working on something new in that site, so I made a point of taking pictures before it is covered.

(I still don't really know how to post pics, so you might need to open it big for detials)

Looking at the ghost sign on the ghost building, it used to be a hotel...

img10260qg.th.jpgimg10270zk.th.jpgimg10284se.th.jpg

It looks like the Battlestein building was just constructed immediately adjacent to the Bender, and over time the outline of the hotel pressed itself into the wall, and some paint residue from the sign was absorbed. I like the way you can see the original wings and windows of the hotel.

• 2 months later...

During renovation of the Rice Lofts, crews demolished the old parking garage at Prairie and Travis. By doing so, it revealed a faded sign on the building next to it. Does anyone remember what that sign was?

I think the new parking garage ended up covering it back up.

• 1 year later...
Waaaaaaaait a second - the San Jacinto Hotel was the old Bender Hotel that is now the new Hines parking garage...

Was the Texas State also called the San Jacinto? My memory is terrible.

The Texas State was originally slated to be the San Jacinto, but opened as the Texas State in 1929. The Bender Hotel didn't become the San Jacinto hotel until the 1930s I believe.

• 6 years later...

Archived