Moving To Houston

sohomod

why not katy? Can anyone list the reasons why not?

Well, I would think an intelligent Katy resident like yourself could read the thread and figure it out, but, I see you just registered, so let's see if I can help out.

sohomod quotes:

"Hi, we're relocating from NYC and after all these years of living in a SoHo loft, excited about owning one of your gorgeous Houston mods."

"I've never lived in the burbs before so I may be in for a rude shock as far as proximity to stores, libraries, YMCAs, etc. So I'm thinking the closer in the better."

"Oh yeah.. The biggest culture shock is going to be the fact that nothing is within "walking distance" here - no matter how close it is!"

"Oh no... what I'm most worried about. I haven't driven in 20 years, since I moved to NYC. It's actually the main reason why we're looking at the Heights."

"We will have a car but would love it if I could have days without driving. Right now we live in Soho and I regularly walk a mile to the playground, half a mile to the grocery, etc."

"We've got to get out of NYC and put together our criteria for where to live: cultural/racial diversity + cosmopolitan atmosphere + less stressful lifestyle + affordable housing + Asian population & food (I'm Asian and our daughter thus 1/2 Asian)"

"He will drive us around for the most part and I can drive too, just would prefer to have at least some amenities, especially for our child, like playground, YMCA, community center, small food store, etc. within walking distance."

"The stuff up by the Woodlands and Katy look great but I'm hesitant to go so far from the city."

"I am terrified of feeling stranded in the burbs"

"Oh, and coming from NYC, I am afraid we are quite recklessly liberal ourselves"

"The whole reason we were looking at the Heights in the first place is b/c my husband is afraid that we'll die of loneliness and isolation."

"Don't quite understand it all but am definitely starting to understand that the burbs in Houston is entirely different from what I'm used to."

"Our loft is in what's called a pre-war here, built around 1910. Pressed tin ceilings nearly 12 feet high, very elaborate crown molding, with an Eames pedestal table and chairs, arc lamp and Scandinavian platform bed."

"I grew up in the blonde blonde Scandinavian midwest and while I had a lovely childhood we are trying to give our daughter a more diverse environment."

Other than that, I don't know why they wouldn't want to live in Katy. If they are strict Southern Baptists and conservative Republicans, they'll probably like it even better.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved here 2 years ago from NYC. There I lived in Fort Green, Brooklyn; Sunnyside, QNS; the Upper West Side; and Morningside Heights (so I never lived in SOHO), but I have fallen in love with Houston.

Houston is hard to get used to but is actually one of the coolest places in the US IMO. It's also on fire in terms of urban growth. The next 2 - 3 years will see an explosion in urban development throughout the Inner Loop and even beyond. This is a good place to be right now and will just get even better!

Austin to me is overrated and too small. I'm not exactly sure why it gets the press it does other than the fact that the landscape is so beautiful. I'd choose San Antonio over Austin if I were considering central TX.

Well, I would think an intelligent Katy resident like yourself could read the thread and figure it out, but, I see you just registered, so let's see if I can help out.

sohomod quotes:

"Hi, we're relocating from NYC and after all these years of living in a SoHo loft, excited about owning one of your gorgeous Houston mods."

"I've never lived in the burbs before so I may be in for a rude shock as far as proximity to stores, libraries, YMCAs, etc. So I'm thinking the closer in the better."

"Oh yeah.. The biggest culture shock is going to be the fact that nothing is within "walking distance" here - no matter how close it is!"

"Oh no... what I'm most worried about. I haven't driven in 20 years, since I moved to NYC. It's actually the main reason why we're looking at the Heights."

"We will have a car but would love it if I could have days without driving. Right now we live in Soho and I regularly walk a mile to the playground, half a mile to the grocery, etc."

"We've got to get out of NYC and put together our criteria for where to live: cultural/racial diversity + cosmopolitan atmosphere + less stressful lifestyle + affordable housing + Asian population & food (I'm Asian and our daughter thus 1/2 Asian)"

"He will drive us around for the most part and I can drive too, just would prefer to have at least some amenities, especially for our child, like playground, YMCA, community center, small food store, etc. within walking distance."

"The stuff up by the Woodlands and Katy look great but I'm hesitant to go so far from the city."

"I am terrified of feeling stranded in the burbs"

"Oh, and coming from NYC, I am afraid we are quite recklessly liberal ourselves"

"The whole reason we were looking at the Heights in the first place is b/c my husband is afraid that we'll die of loneliness and isolation."

"Don't quite understand it all but am definitely starting to understand that the burbs in Houston is entirely different from what I'm used to."

"Our loft is in what's called a pre-war here, built around 1910. Pressed tin ceilings nearly 12 feet high, very elaborate crown molding, with an Eames pedestal table and chairs, arc lamp and Scandinavian platform bed."

"I grew up in the blonde blonde Scandinavian midwest and while I had a lovely childhood we are trying to give our daughter a more diverse environment."

Other than that, I don't know why they wouldn't want to live in Katy. If they are strict Southern Baptists and conservative Republicans, they'll probably like it even better.

Actually, I am not a Katy resident. (where did you get that anyway?). There is actually more than one post discouraging moving to katy, one was talking about it being too far, another was talking about looney christians there. Since I am seriously considering moving there, I am really interested to know which reasons are valid and which are not. It seems some reasons like too far and cookie cutter boring are valid, but are most of katy residents really extreme conservative people? I am from the san francisco and moderately liberal and I don't mind conservatives. I am however really worried about the extreme ones. If I am not christian and don't go to church, would my katy neighbors look at me different, my family would get shunned, pressured to go or something? I have always lived in blue areas, so I don't know how it works in the red ones. I am not extreme blue but still, it is kind of unsettling moving into unknown red territory.

Edited by webdude

Katy is fine for people that don't mind fairly bland suburbs with fairly decent schools. The drive can be extreme depending on where you work. I dont think being reddish or bluish is going to affect you. The housing is cheap and there is a little bit of 'culture' to be found. Its not mars.

Sorry for assuming, webdude. As far as extreme right wingers, I don't think most Katy residents are extreme. Most are decidedly conservative. It would be surprising to have a neighbor as extreme as you describe, who would force his beliefs on you and your family. Confident, almost militant in his political beliefs? Maybe. Dismissive of your wimpy, liberal leanings? Probably. But, trying to "save" you? Probably not. People who are that far right tend to search out like-minded individuals and convince each other that they are right and the rest of the world is going to hell.

Lately, I've found most far right conservatives are not itching to debate anyway. Current events have not given them many clear cut arguments. That's not to suggest many have gone moderate, but the debate is not as much fun when the opponent has so much ammo, even if you disagree with the premise. Mostly, you'll find a libertarian slant. But, most Katy residents are not radical fundies. We just like to call them that. :lol:

Hope this helps.

, but are most of katy residents really extreme conservative people? I am from the san francisco and moderately liberal and I don't mind conservatives.

I'm guessing you would be most happy in the Heights or Montrose but who knows. Explore, explore and the explore some more. I wouldn't commit to buying anything unless you have been here at least a year. Also, if you spread you're home shopping time out the chances of a good deal increases. Good luck.

Her husband, who works in the Galleria area, told me that every minute past 6:00 am that he waits to leave for work adds ten minutes to his commute.

So if her husband left at 6:18 am, it would take him an additional 3 hours to get to work? :huh:

For all those talking about Katy, I have a question. What geographically defines Katy to you?

Sorry for assuming, webdude. As far as extreme right wingers, I don't think most Katy residents are extreme. Most are decidedly conservative. It would be surprising to have a neighbor as extreme as you describe, who would force his beliefs on you and your family. Confident, almost militant in his political beliefs? Maybe. Dismissive of your wimpy, liberal leanings? Probably. But, trying to "save" you? Probably not. People who are that far right tend to search out like-minded individuals and convince each other that they are right and the rest of the world is going to hell.

Lately, I've found most far right conservatives are not itching to debate anyway. Current events have not given them many clear cut arguments. That's not to suggest many have gone moderate, but the debate is not as much fun when the opponent has so much ammo, even if you disagree with the premise. Mostly, you'll find a libertarian slant. But, most Katy residents are not radical fundies. We just like to call them that. :lol:

Hope this helps.

Thank you, for answering. I have been in the san francisco bay area for a year and I have seen extremism on the left and it isn't that pretty. Anyone leaning too far right or far left is too much for me.

I'm guessing you would be most happy in the Heights or Montrose but who knows. Explore, explore and the explore some more. I wouldn't commit to buying anything unless you have been here at least a year. Also, if you spread you're home shopping time out the chances of a good deal increases. Good luck.

Too late, I was there for 2 weeks right before christmas and got something in seven meadows. We(me and my wife) must be crazy. We are ok with boring areas since we are really boring people. We realize we are not really city people; it seems the only time we go to san francisco city is to go to chinatown or tradeshows/conventions. As long as there is a chinatown, we are happy. Obviously, now we have to drive to chinatown instead of taking the bart (rail).

We run home/online businesses so distance is really not an issue.

Maybe it sounds crazy but what we did was take our criteria (affordable housing + good arts/cultural scene + ethnic/cultural diversity + big enough to be interesting + warm sunny weather + good schools) and come up with a short list, which we then winnowed down by doing a lot of research. And came up with Houston. It's maybe not a perfect fit (i.e. we're very politically liberal and like to walk everywhere) but it seemed like it may work.

No relatives or friends in Houston. One acquaintance, a banker who was transferred there 2 years ago. And another who doesn't live in Houston but who teaches at the UoH one semester every year. Oh and someone I met once who lives in Beaumont. We are both Northerners, Midwest born and East Coast educated, and long-time New Yorkers. We were going to be brave and strike out into unknown territory. Honestly, everyone we've told is absolutely incredulous. They've heard of people moving to Vermont, London, L.A., Raleigh or even Austin. But never Houston. We just had an idea that there were lots of good things to be found in Houston and that it was an underappreciated city with bad press (v.s. an overappreciated city with good press, such as Seattle).

We decided the first 6 were too small and for the most part too white or white/black. We really wanted a city with a very visible Asian minority. Atlanta has a surprising # of Asians and seemed progressive, interesting and well-priced. We just decided that in the end we'd rather be Texans than Georgians. There's something about the openness (physically and other) of Texas that appeals to us. Something about preferring Western over Southern, to put it reductively. Just a hunch. Also we both love Mexican culture and liked the infusion of that into the mix. Los Angeles we love. It's another city that people say has no soul but that we think has it in abundance, if you seek it out. We are hoping Houston is the same. Of course LA is also up there with Houston on the pollution and traffic, and in addition is astronomically expensive. So is NYC but the whole point of relocation is to scale back, calm down, and get out of the rat race a bit. We almost think of it as "getting back to the land," which is of course funny considering it's Houston we're talking about, but it seems like a place where we can live a simplier, gentler, less stressed, less competitive, more family-centered life without all of the harshness and nastiness (MidtownCoog aside) that is sometimes here in NYC.

Wow, I think your situation is very similar to ours (me and my wife) and even with the exact same selection criteria and process of elimination, which led us to selecting houston. We also do not have a car. Only difference is we are coming down from san francisco. I agree with the seattle part. We did visit and seriously considered seattle but I agree it is way overrated. We also do not know anyone but just decided to come down to houston before christmas for 2 weeks and looked around. It was pretty good, (except for lots of crows everywhere). I agreed Houston is really under rated. After we decided on houston, I started taking more notice of movies, lists, and everything else that lists cities and realize that lost of times houston is not included when it should be. It is weird.

Edited by webdude

Not taking up for Katy, but a good part of Houston through West U, Bellarie, etc. had no tress. Although Katy is on a prarrie.

I think it was Tee's Nursery who led a tree planting campaing in the 40s in Houston.

We should do that again.

yeah, the teas family changed things up a bit - hell, didn't bellaire used to be strawberry farmland?

You know I was reading through this thread and I have to say, its one of the more overall positive threads I've seen on here for a while. Aside from the Katy bashing, its managed to leave out some of the usual noise that tends to infiltrate after a while - liberal vs. conservative, in the loop people are snobs versus outside the loop are lunatics, tunnels downtown vs no tunnels (yeah that one sneaks in ones that have nothing to do with it) etc. Now that i brought them up, I'm sure I've jinxed it and it will run the usual course.

I also think Houston is definitely underrated. everyone gets fixated on the summer heat and the traffic, pollution, the "fat" people, sprawl, etc. Which is fair, if you take a surface glance at the city. However, when people visit, I think its just that the experiences people have are the airport and staying at someone's house in the woodlands or clear lake and think that is all there is. I would suggest that when visiting, definitely check out the montrose area, go to the "new" chinatown area, check out the museums, find a show to see in the theatre district (culture clash is supposed to be funny).

My sister grew up here in houston with me in clear lake, we never saw much outside of the area, and she's lived in DC now for the last 7 years. She came back recently to visit since i moedinto my house and we went all over, sat outside at Brasil coffeehouse in Montrose, checked out the Basquiat exhibit at the MFAH, saw the menil, went by Hermann park, ate at t'afia, hit up the galleria (which is just shopping you can see anywhere, but still). Needless to say, she said they are all things that you just don't know about houston sometimes. As for traffic, yes it was a saturday, but since I live close in, we didn't hit much of anything. All in all, she says there was a lot more to explore than she even knew about, and that was with growing up here. It just takes time and the curiosity to explore. Now she's considering even moving back in the next couple of years....

I agree. Houston has something for everyone. It gets hot, yeah, of course. It takes a car to get around, but I love cars! I would never live out in the sticks and commute in, but some people can't afford a house and kids otherwise, so that's the way it has to be for some who make that choice. You know what you're getting into if you move there.

On the other hand, I wish more decent bands would come through Houston. They make it to Dallas or Austin, but not Houston so it becomes a mini-vacation to go see Supergrass or whoever...

Try to get as close to the 610 loop as you can afford. That's my advice. That and stay on the West side (just my preference there. I don't know the East or South side too well...)

Jason

Maybe it sounds crazy but what we did was take our criteria (affordable housing + good arts/cultural scene + ethnic/cultural diversity + big enough to be interesting + warm sunny weather + good schools) and come up with a short list, which we then winnowed down by doing a lot of research. And came up with Houston. It's maybe not a perfect fit (i.e. we're very politically liberal and like to walk everywhere) but it seemed like it may work.

No relatives or friends in Houston. One acquaintance, a banker who was transferred there 2 years ago. And another who doesn't live in Houston but who teaches at the UoH one semester every year. Oh and someone I met once who lives in Beaumont. We are both Northerners, Midwest born and East Coast educated, and long-time New Yorkers. We were going to be brave and strike out into unknown territory. Honestly, everyone we've told is absolutely incredulous. They've heard of people moving to Vermont, London, L.A., Raleigh or even Austin. But never Houston. We just had an idea that there were lots of good things to be found in Houston and that it was an underappreciated city with bad press (v.s. an overappreciated city with good press, such as Seattle).

I'm not going to lie to you- It's not always fun being Liberal in Texas BUT Houston proper has a very strong Liberal bent... IN TOWN. The suburbs are decidedly conservative (Hello, Tom DeLay) and even in Monstrose we had a big time right-winger 2 doors down.

I think your husband will be very surprised by Houston. Here are some facts you can tell him that may impress him: We have the 2nd largest museum district outside of New York, The Houston Grand Opera is nationally renowned (and Opera In The Heights is good, too), we have the 2nd or 3rd largest public green space (Memorial Park) after Central Park; we are also a city on the move. It's very interesting coming from the Northeast to a city where it's just really developing in to the urban center it should be. I can't explain, but it's neat to see. Here's an article about a book that discusses Houston's more unique charms:

Weird Houston

I think someone else mentioned San Antonio. I think it's a great city and would definitely go there before Austin. My husband went to law school in Austin, so it's hard to say he really lived there, but he is fond of saying "Austin is so liberal it's intolerant." It's the kind of place your waitress is likely to ridicule you for ordering meat. Ugh.

It's the kind of place your waitress is likely to ridicule you for ordering meat. Ugh.

So true. I was riding in a car there with a friend who was smoking a cig. While at a red light, some hippie granola chick sped up on her mountian bike and scremed at him to stop polluting the air!

Freaky.

Yeah I feel like we are getting better in getting more of the indie bands since the Meridian opened. For a while, it was just Numbers and a few other places that weren't really the right kind of setting. Some bands are just not big enough for a place like Verizon, but too big for numbers. The meridian helped to take care of that gap and its made a difference. Even modest Mouse played at the meridian this past year and some of the upcoming groups there are in that same market. And we do usually get the bigger ones, such as the Strokes coming in march to verizon. Warehouse live is opening up soon too in the warehouse district, so I think we'll start to see more stops from people like belle and sebastian. Hopefully at least. overall though, I think its getting better when it comes to bands making stops here.

I find it interesting that on Lazy Lane you have one of the biggest Republican contributors in TX living a couple of doors down from one of the biggest Democratic contributors, both in very modern (though remuddled from what I've heard) homes!

On the "liberal" topic (not that food choice really goes along political lines), I would love to see more vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Houston, but I think I doubt I'll see the day that it happens like it is in Portland, OR where my sister lives...

Jason

I'm not going to lie to you- It's not always fun being Liberal in Texas BUT Houston proper has a very strong Liberal bent... IN TOWN. The suburbs are decidedly conservative (Hello, Tom DeLay) and even in Monstrose we had a big time right-winger 2 doors down.

Most of my favorite bands play Houston, but, alas, I will be driving to Dallas in March to see Belle and Sebastian and the New Pornographers.

Try living in San Antonio: there's no scene whatsoever there. If you like indie/"alternative" (what a worn-out, meaningless designation, but...) music, then Houston is frikkin' paradise by comparison.

One of our best friends lives in San Antonio. He was a Houston transplant from San Fransisco, then got transfered there. Anyway, everytime we get out there he takes us to see some great bands or art shows. There is a great art/sub-culture community in SA. They're just not obvious about it! Also, it is a quick drive to Austin- shorter than trying to get from Katy to downtown!

Exactly. Also, though SA is pretty big population-wise, people told us that there's not much there. Jacksonville is way too white (no offense!), St. Louis never considered honestly but got the feeling that it was not thriving, in the same way that Pittsburgh, while full of gorgeous old brick homes and cultural institutions, is dying rather than thriving. And Kansas City, while full of gorgeous cheap craftsman bungalows, is the home of my mother in law!!!!!!! Also, very very white. Actually, there is some black population there too but it is so segregated that I visited for years before I saw one apart from my mother in law's cleaning woman. Tells you something, eh?

:lol:

Did places like San Antonio, Jacksonville, Kansas City, or St. Louis not make the list due to low cultural diversity?

In my experience, it is more likely to find a liberal vegetarian than a conservative one, but I've known a conservative vegetarian or 2 in my day...

Sorry, it really had nothing to do with modernism and people moving to Houston, but veggie restaurants are just something I'd love to see more of in Houston. Don't know how well they'd do though. I do enjoy Pepper's on Richmond, Ziggy's and the place that took the old Ziggy's location, and Mission Burritos on W. Alabama, and the Garden Bistro on Westheimer at Fondren as well. Most restaurants have some form of meat/dairy free food if you look hard enough...

Jason

Liberals don't eat meat?

Exactly. Also, though SA is pretty big population-wise, people told us that there's not much there.

I just don't think that's true. If it's not on your list, it's not and that's great but I hate to see a wonderful city like SA get a bad rap (not too different from what always happens to Houston). Andre has a great, educated and diverse group of friends. He may be the exception and not the rule, but it exists there. His best friends are a bi-racial couple- an African American art dealer and a Russian architect. Andre's girlfriend is from Italy and works at a boutique owned by a gay Latino and his crazy white sister in law.... Maybe the Asian population isn't strong, but I think SA has a lot going for it...

Thanks, a fantastic answer to the question of Austin vs. Houston. I am copying this to my husband at once!

This is exactly my impression of Austin. We have about a dozen friends of friends there (vs. knowing basically no one in Houston) and I feel that they are all tattooed roller-derby-enthusiast vegan bloggers. Which is fine, as far as it goes, but feels a bit limiting and clich

I went to Columbia too!!! I lived in Wein Hall for 2 years before transferring to an upstate school that had a great art program - Bard College. Ollie's was my hangout (along with everyone else) and I loved making treks to 125th for a Krispy Kreme (this was back when there was only like two in the whole world).

Houston to me is great because it's such a maverick city. You can be anyone and do anything here. I also feel the freedom of not having to work just to pay the bills and have a lot more time to paint, etc. The other posters are right when they say you can find anything here - hell, there's even an Aji Ichiban here!!!

This city just seems like it's on the cusp of something really big. I work in retail real estate and keep hearing about more and more cool stuff that will be built and that's coming to Houston in the next year or so. There's that feeling like DUMBO felt in the late 90's where there wasn't that much yet but you could tell it was coming....

I live in a 1920's apartment building Montrose close to River Oaks Shopping Center. It's great and I'm close to so much. I think that throughout Montrose you'll find great houses and a population that's similar to the Upper West Side. You've got your gays, artists, and other liberal-minded folk. The neighborhood that's the most like the Upper West Side in my opinion is Southampton (just north of Rice U). But, it's extremely pricey. There you've got more families and a slightly older population that's still pretty liberal. The Museum District is the other cool neighborhood that's a little edgier but will just keep getting better as the museums expand and projects go forward.

It's real nice to hear about people who moved here and are happy about it. I was born and raised here, but my dad got transferred to CA when Gulf was taken over by Chevron. I loved the Bay Area, but after my dad passed on, my mom moved back to Texas and then she got sick so we moved here to be near her. After she passed on, we kind of had to decide if we wanted to live here or move back to CA. Since we already have good jobs here and we never could have bought a house for $200-$300K there, we've decided to "live it up" here and enjoy being home owners. Will we ever move back? Probably yes, because my wife still has family out there, but for now, we are enjoying our low cost of living here.

I really hope we are on the verge of recognition as one of the country's greatest cities, though I think that with our nation's cynical media that it will be hard to come by.

Jason

I went to Columbia too!!! I lived in Wein Hall for 2 years before transferring to an upstate school that had a great art program - Bard College. Ollie's was my hangout (along with everyone else) and I loved making treks to 125th for a Krispy Kreme (this was back when there was only like two in the whole world).

Houston to me is great because it's such a maverick city. You can be anyone and do anything here. I also feel the freedom of not having to work just to pay the bills and have a lot more time to paint, etc. The other posters are right when they say you can find anything here - hell, there's even an Aji Ichiban here!!!

This city just seems like it's on the cusp of something really big. I work in retail real estate and keep hearing about more and more cool stuff that will be built and that's coming to Houston in the next year or so. There's that feeling like DUMBO felt in the late 90's where there wasn't that much yet but you could tell it was coming....

I live in a 1920's apartment building Montrose close to River Oaks Shopping Center. It's great and I'm close to so much. I think that throughout Montrose you'll find great houses and a population that's similar to the Upper West Side. You've got your gays, artists, and other liberal-minded folk. The neighborhood that's the most like the Upper West Side in my opinion is Southampton (just north of Rice U). But, it's extremely pricey. There you've got more families and a slightly older population that's still pretty liberal. The Museum District is the other cool neighborhood that's a little edgier but will just keep getting better as the museums expand and projects go forward.