Iran And The American SUV

RedScare

Two days after Iran broke the seals on it's nuclear facilities, Europe's Big 3 said talks are at a "dead end". Secretary of State Rice says that the UN Security Council will probably impose economic sanctions in retaliation. Russia and China, who in the past have blocked sanctions on Iran, have indicated they may go along this time.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10803220/

If economic sanctions are imposed, Iran's 4 million barrel per day oil flow stops. This is 5% of the world's 84 million bpd consumption. Oil prices hit a 3 month high today just in fear of the possibility.

Here's the problem. US energy policy does absolutely nothing to encourage conservation. CAFE standards, because GM and Ford object, have not changed. GM's response to last year's $3 gasoline was to introduce 2006 SUVs that are BIGGER than last year. The Administration proposes opening ANWR to drilling, even though at best, oil would not flow for at least 10 years.

What is it about us as a country that we refuse to make the connection that high oil consumption limits our foreign policy options? For us to punish Iran for its nuclear ambitions, we have to punish ourselves worse.

Anyone have a suggestion how to deal with this situation? Will the government have the balls to tell the people we need to tighten our belts? Will they just let gas prices soar and then blame it all on Iran?

Personally, I think Iran is trying to invoke sanctions in hopes that it will crater the US economy. I believe they think they can weather the storm. Or, they simply think the US cannot afford sanctions, and of course, cannot attack militarily, because of Iraq, and therefore, will not be punished at all.

Anyone have a suggestion how to deal with this situation? Will the government have the balls to tell the people we need to tighten our belts? Will they just let gas prices soar and then blame it all on Iran?

Well...the only immediate solution that comes to mind is to nuke 'em. Of course that probably isn't a very popular solution, and could have unpleasant side effects.

I think we need to step up our investment in the search for a replacement for petrochemicals in a BIG WAY. We have many of the world's most brilliant minds living here, we need to give them the encouragement and resources to find a solution to this problem.

Should we attempt to find cheaper petro fuel sources that will ultimately only reward the SUV drivers? Besides, I always thought the plan was to use up everyone else's stash first, then use ours?

Weve used our cheap stuff, now were using their cheap stuff.

There are vast quantities of oil in our own country and Canada but they lie in deposits of other stuff like coal seams and tar sands, which are VERY expensive to process.

Edited by CE_ugh

Anyone have a suggestion how to deal with this situation

Toss out the politicians who passed Section 179 (which grants a larger tax deduction to businesses which purchase vehicles which weigh over 6000 lbs.) and who defeated a measure to demand that SUVs be reclassified as passenger vehicles (with attendant stricter mileage requirements).

Fortunately, these issues were pretty much decided on a partisan basis.

Hybrids are on the rise and in demand. Even Lexus has one now.

The change is underay. Don't let one year get you all worked up.

It can't happen overnight.

As far as Iran, history is repeating itself. Remember the Arab oil embargo in the 70s that led to a surge in small Japanese imports in the USA?

Hybrids are on the rise and in demand. Even Lexus has one now.

The change is underay. Don't let one year get you all worked up.

It can't happen overnight.

As far as Iran, history is repeating itself. Remember the Arab oil embargo in the 70s that led to a surge in small Japanese imports in the USA?

And I would not mind driving that Lexus and its counterpart Toyota version(which unfortunately is only available overseas I believe.)