METRO to launch pilot program opening high-occupancy vehicle, toll lanes on weekends

METRO to launch pilot program opening high-occupancy vehicle, toll lanes on weekends

This summer, Houston drivers will be able to ride select high-occupancy vehicle lanes on the weekends as part of a Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County pilot program. METRO’s board of directors approved the pilot program at its June 23 meeting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, freundb said:

I don't know why they weren't doing this already

In the Chronicle article, it says because of the expense.  This program is being paid for with $575,000 in federal COVID relief funds. 

Apparently, having those toll lanes open costs a bunch of money.  In addition to paying the workers to open and close the barriers (expected); cops have to be paid overtime to patrol the route; and the toll operator, TransCore gets $388,000, for what I'm not sure.

People like to believe that once you build a highway, it's free.  It's not.  Highways are expensive.  If people knew how much it really costs to build and run a highway, they wouldn't think that railroads are so expensive.

Not knowing if the toll lanes will be open or closed is a big reason I don't use them.  I don't mind paying to use a toll road, but I don't like the uncertainty when I'm driving 65 miles an hour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, editor said:

In the Chronicle article, it says because of the expense.  This program is being paid for with $575,000 in federal COVID relief funds. 

Apparently, having those toll lanes open costs a bunch of money.  In addition to paying the workers to open and close the barriers (expected); cops have to be paid overtime to patrol the route; and the toll operator, TransCore gets $388,000, for what I'm not sure.

People like to believe that once you build a highway, it's free.  It's not.  Highways are expensive.  If people knew how much it really costs to build and run a highway, they wouldn't think that railroads are so expensive.

Not knowing if the toll lanes will be open or closed is a big reason I don't use them.  I don't mind paying to use a toll road, but I don't like the uncertainty when I'm driving 65 miles an hour.

Sure it costs money, but they are collecting tolls for it. I dunno. I won't try and pretend like I know the financials of operating a toll road. 

1 hour ago, freundb said:

Sure it costs money, but they are collecting tolls for it. I dunno. I won't try and pretend like I know the financials of operating a toll road. 

I expect the numbers should be online somewhere.  I'm not sure where to begin to look.