Calvatra Bridges

what an eyesore.

Well, I don't agree, but it's not my favorite either. My sister-in-law and family live in Valencia, Spain and so I've visited the Ciudad de las Artes y las CIencias several times. It's nice, but a bit too 'sterile' for my taste.

Oh, and for the record... It's Calatrava, not Calvatra. (That's not aimed at Mister X).

It looks so generic, like it was picked out of a catalog or something. Reggio Emilia, Italy picked a bridge out of the same catalog. The smelly ditch running under it doesn't help. I predict it will make about as much impact in the world of sophisticated architecture as the big blinking dandelion down the road.

But on the bright side now they have a shortcut to get them from the bail bonds store to the liquor store.

But on the bright side now they have a shortcut to get them from the bail bonds store to the liquor store.

So true. This bridge will surely address the pent up need of drivers on Woodall Rodgers to get to Singleton Street. If you look at Google Maps, you can clearly see the gridlock on Continental, 100 feet to the north.

As for the bridge itself, I want to like it. It is a suspension bridge afterall. But, it is just so...boring. Yes, some of that is the Trinity sewer running beneath it, something that will be addressed in the future. But, the actual bridge bores me. I suppose Simbha's description of 'sterile' may be it.

Oh well. I applaud the attempt, at least.

I think the bridge itself is fine, just not for where it is at. I am sure it has been beaten dead but it really needs to be above something worth while. It looks like something that would be in Greece, the white would look so good against the dark blue water, but instead its amongst power lines and the best view comes from jail.

It's an interesting bridge, but definitely not my favorite work by Calatrava. There has been a lot of talk about how this will open up new opportunities for West Dallas (mostly by real estate speculators), traditionally the most poverty-stricken area of Dallas. Developers are already starting to make plans for new projects (Trinity Groves pictured below opens at the base of the bridge this summer, along with a new brewery) but it's a long-term vision. The Continental Bridge will begin its transformation into a bike/pedestrian park when this bridge opens.

I'm looking forward to the design of the next bridge (for I-30) which should be revealed soon, and will also be designed by Calatrava.

Trinity%20Groves%20Rendering%202.jpg

How does funding for these types of projects work? I read in an earlier message that federal transportation funds were allocated for this bridge. Do these dollars cover the entire cost of the bridge - as designed by Calatrava - or do they only cover the cost of a 'basic' bridge, with funds to make it 'pretty' coming from local/private sources?

I also applaud the effort. But, if you're going to build a signature bridge (and spend all the time and money to do so), at least hire an architect that will design something innovative and interesting! How many more bridges (that look the same) does Calatrava have to design before people say, enough?

I also applaud the effort. But, if you're going to build a signature bridge (and spend all the time and money to do so), at least hire an architect that will design something innovative and interesting! How many more bridges (that look the same) does Calatrava have to design before people say, enough?

I agree that most/all of his vehicular bridges look the same, but I wonder how much of this is local leadership choosing him specifically for his past bridge designs. Even if he wants to design something differently, he may not be given the okay on a deviant design.

How does funding for these types of projects work? I read in an earlier message that federal transportation funds were allocated for this bridge. Do these dollars cover the entire cost of the bridge - as designed by Calatrava - or do they only cover the cost of a 'basic' bridge, with funds to make it 'pretty' coming from local/private sources?

That's right.

The Margaret Hunt Hill bridge was funded through bond programs and the Regional Transportation Council/Texas Transportation Partnership ($30 million). $5 million in private donations were raised, and the Hunt family donated $12 million.

TxDOT has committed funds for a replacement bridge for I-30 (the Margaret McDermott Bridge). These funds are for a basic replacement structure with Calatrava designing the frontage roads/bike/pedestrian elements. Extra design elements are being paid for through donations and $92 in federal earmarks.

I-35 bridge is still awaiting funding.

I agree that most/all of his vehicular bridges look the same, but I wonder how much of this is local leadership choosing him specifically for his past bridge designs. Even if he wants to design something differently, he may not be given the okay on a deviant design.

They have a similarity in frequently using cables, but there are some different templates that he uses. This one does strike me as much less elegant than his usual standard. The U-shaped tower is too heavy looking. All that said, cheers to Dallas for making the attempt. I would love to see Houston have the same architectural initiative.

Umm, Houston's architectural iniative predates this bridge by over 16 years, as the far more striking Fred Hartman Bridge, the longest cable stayed structure in the state, opened in September 1995. You needn't flatter Dallas by insulting Houston, especially when it is not true.

They have a similarity in frequently using cables, but there are some different templates that he uses. This one does strike me as much less elegant than his usual standard. The U-shaped tower is too heavy looking. All that said, cheers to Dallas for making the attempt. I would love to see Houston have the same architectural initiative.

I would hope that Houston would aim higher than settling for a one tower, sterile, cookie cutter bridge right off the assembly line built over a weed infested flood prairie to a neighborhood that is so hopelessly dilapidated that most people don't even want you to know that it exist. I sure hope they build one of those convenient U-turns on the west side so that people can get back to downtown without getting car-jacked.

I would hope that Houston would aim higher than settling for a one tower, sterile, cookie cutter bridge right off the assembly line built over a weed infested flood prairie to a neighborhood that is so hopelessly dilapidated that most people don't even want you to know that it exist. I sure hope they build one of those convenient U-turns on the west side so that people can get back to downtown without getting car-jacked.

damn...how do you really feel about those developments??

Archived